Real-world weather updates still working in FS2004?

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

Real-world weather updates still working in FS2004?

Postby blaze440 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:23 pm

Hello all... I've recently got back to playing FS2004 after several years (thanks to the priceless help from people in this forum, regarding to making it work under Windows 10). It's all working great, but lately I noticed that the Real-world weather wasn't quite been working (a few days ago there was a major snowstorm where I live and the real-world weather was giving me "partially cloudy" weather with "visibility greater than 20 miles" -- not a chance)...

So, after so many years, I wonder if the real-world server (Jeppesen?) is still "up and running"? About a month ago, in my first flight, as I was testing my new FS2004 setup, I recall the real-world weather to be accurate (rainy and misarable), but certainly that hasn't been the case more recently... Via google, I realize that since day 1 of FS2004 there has been "issues" with the real-world weather downloads, but anyone knows how it stands, as of now...? In old posts (~2005) people mentioned that the real-world server is down "half of the time"... Is there a way to check the status of such server...? is there an IP address I could ping or a website where I could see if such server is "on" or not...?

Any guidance on this greatly appreciated!
blaze440
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Real-world weather updates still working in FS2004?

Postby Awaken » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:03 am

Hello Blaze. For me, the weather server for FS2004 is currently working,as recently as 3 days ago, here in sunny and warm Florida (it was 80 today) 8-). I know there have been periods in the past when I could not get updates and had to use a third party program (FXrealWX) to download and inject the current weather in FS2004. As far as testing the weather server site I'm not really sure about that one.
AMD R5 1600 AF on ASROCK B450, Teamgroup 16GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1650 Super , 500 GB SSD and 3TB HDD, EVGA 500W PS, ASUS 27in. MX27A 2k monitor, Windows 10
Awaken
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:48 am

Awaken wrote:Hello Blaze. For me, the weather server for FS2004 is currently working,as recently as 3 days ago, here in sunny and warm Florida (it was 80 today) 8-). I know there have been periods in the past when I could not get updates and had to use a third party program (FXrealWX) to download and inject the current weather in FS2004. As far as testing the weather server site I'm not really sure about that one.

I use FS2004 a lot even though I have FSX as well But I hardly ever use real world weather as it is not very accurate. I have been using one version or another of ACTIVE SKY. This in my opinion is the best weather program out there.
As I write this The latest version was released earlier this year in ACTIVE SKY 16 along with ACTIVE SKY CLOUD ART called ASCA for short. Trust me you have no idea how awesome the weather can really be. Some of its best features is things like real weather in all of your way points in a flight plan so you actually see the weather change as you fly. The clouds just do not pop up out of nowhere like they do using real world weather. but you can actually see the clouds in the distance and watch as they materialize in front of you just as they do in the real world. One of the best things about it is you can get a 7 day trail license to try before you buy and this is a full working program.
I am comparing it to ACTIVE SKY NEXT. Granted this is payware and not free The two programs will run you around $100.00 tax tag and title. It is not necessary to but ASCA but it will definitely make a difference.
Some people use REX soft clouds which will work with active sky 16. If you want to check it out go here http://hifisimtech.com/?title=Welcome%20To%20HiFi
You simply download it and than ask for a trail license when you go to run it. You will get a key in just a few minuets by email and 7 days of full use of all of the features.
Make sure you check out the video it is truly awesome.
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby blaze440 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:30 pm

Many thanks Awaken ad Garymbuska for the feedback

garymbuska wrote:The two programs will run you around $100.00 tax tag and title.

I keep forgetting that flying is an expensive hobby, even if it's only computer flight simulation... It sounds very appealing, but I rather not go for the 7-day trail, because I'd probably love it and then I'd feel miserable at not being able to afford it :-(

I'll check out FXRealWX then...

Thanks again to both for your information and suggestions! :-)
blaze440
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby garymbuska » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:41 am

blaze440 wrote:Many thanks Awaken ad Garymbuska for the feedback

garymbuska wrote:The two programs will run you around $100.00 tax tag and title.

I keep forgetting that flying is an expensive hobby, even if it's only computer flight simulation... It sounds very appealing, but I rather not go for the 7-day trail, because I'd probably love it and then I'd feel miserable at not being able to afford it :-(

I'll check out FXRealWX then...

Thanks again to both for your information and suggestions! :-)

I completely understand. Since i have Active Sky Next I could get a discounted version. But was still undecided at the time as I did not see a whole lot of differences between the two programs. so I spent the money I had on some other addons. But I decided to check it out using the trail and see if it is worth it. The problem is I am finding out that unless you have cloud textures from some other source the program falls short. I plan on looking back at an earlier version of Active Sky that had cloud art with it and see if I can use those textures.
I also plan on trying to find some descent weather so I can really look at it. The last flight I flew there was rain but hardly any clouds for the amount of rain I had. Now I am wondering if I have something set up wrong.
:think:
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight