What TEXTURES do I need to change in FS9?

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

What TEXTURES do I need to change in FS9?

Postby Jean Loup » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:27 pm

I have installed two FS9 versions (and they don´t misbehave, with all sliders to FULL). I did the "copy trick" before installing Golden Wings, so I can do the same flight with same addons on both versions. But one thing hits my eyes: ground textures went for the worst in GW!! Sincé my flying pleasure is Low & Slow (with a propeller up front), I wonder wich textures I have to fix or change. Maybe it´s only a mater of changing something or other in the FSGW.CFG file. Here are some examples of what bothers my eyes:

This is the London to Darwin historical flight included in FS9. The ground under the Vimy is frankly Mikey Mouse in Golden Wings!!

FS 2004 Image

This flight at Duxford, have the same deterioration of the ground under Tante Ju in Golden Wings:

Golden Wings Image

Forgive my ignorance with such dumb questions, please. Gracias, Jean.
...LiCENSE & REGiSTRATiON !!
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Re: What TEXTURES do I need to change in FS9?

Postby Jean Loup » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:30 pm

Well Dave T, there is some progres now. First, cheking the anti-aliasing does make a difference, image details are more "real". Now I am answering from my other Lap with ViSTA, since I only had installed FS 2004 standard (after my last ViSTA reinstall, all my files reinstall & etcéteras reinstalls :doh: :doh: :doh: ). It's not so standard because Real Environment enhances it a bit, but anyway did the Copy trick & installed Golden Wings 3. Firstly I installed in a TEMP file to see what is going to be changed & try to locate the culprit for the ground textures going kaput. Then, I would let the installer do it's job & take Screen Shots for comparison.

The first thing is as allways in ViSTA: in GW no historical flights open & the Simulator just closes itself, nor any lessons are available for the same reason: GW just shuts down. So we can't compare the London to Darwin flight, had to compare the Duxford with Tante Ju flight.

After Golden Wings installed, ground textures remain good:

After installing Update 1, ground textures not changed yet... but lost the Taxi Ways details!! :shifty: :

After Update 2 still no changes on the ground & Taxi Ways still lost :snooty: :

In Golden Wings extras there are two Tests. After viewing Test 1, I noticed a BMP called DETAiL1 in Scenery/World/Textures. I backed up that file & after installing... THERE iS THE CULPRiT!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Its just a mater of renaming the original FS 2004 detail1:

YES!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Before starting to mess with other texture files (they abound a lot, I must say) I checked GW settings. Somehow my screen resolution had changed & no anti-aliasing was checked either :doh: :doh: :doh: Corrected & the Taxi Ways are back!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Then I bumped into an old view of Duxford, were the Taxi Ways are also absent: (I always left anti-aliasing unchecked, as per Nick instructions in the Forum). GRACiAS, DAVE T
<<v <<t
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Re: What TEXTURES do I need to change in FS9?

Postby Jean Loup » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:43 pm

I am back at my new HP with Windows 10. So may reports of problems with this OS & for me, it is just the opossite: Works like a dream!! For instance, never before had I the Lessons & Historical flights working in Golden Wings, it would just shut down and leave Microsoft promeses of "looking for a solution" :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: I just did a Golden Wings install in my other 9 year old HP with Vista EXACTLY like I did here, and no way: flights & lessons just shut it down.

Here is the London to Sidney flight in GW, after changing the DETAiL1 bmp file, in the Scenery/World/Texture folder:

It seems the Scenery & Panel Design are ofended when one asks an FS 2004 question... :o I was rejected from there. :snooty: :snooty: :snooty:
<<t
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight