Strange event

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

Strange event

Postby garymbuska » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:27 am

I am not sure how to state this but the other day I was going to fly a flight using FS2004 Century of Flight and for a reason I have yet to discover I was unable to communicate with ATC
Now I have a Saitek Cessna Flight Yoke with throttles and have assigned the left button on the yoke as then NUM pad 1 which is the same as pressing the Number 1 on the number pad
and the right hand button as num 2. This has worked ever since I installed the Flight yoke. I had not updated or changed anything in FS2004 nor had I changed the profile I use for the flight yoke
and every time I press either button all the screen would do was to flash and no reply. Now the strangest part of this was even when I pressed the num 1 on the number pad it did the same thing.So I was asking myself what has happened here why is this not working. Now silly me jumped before looking and proceeded to uninstall and reinstall FS 2004. Bad decision on my part
I discovered that I was not able to reinstall two of my favorite payware aircraft. Needles to say i was not to happy about that. But even after the reinstall the same thing was happening.
Now mind you I made sure to remove all folders and all files that was left after the uninstall including the FSX CFG file. I uninstalled the program that I use to make my profile with and made sure I had the latest version. After all of that no luck so then I finally used my head and tried using the number 1 on the keyboard and low and behold it worked. I had even used note pad to make sure that when I pressed the number 1 key on the number pad the number 1 was coming up and it was. I have now changed my profile and replaced the NUM1 on the number pad with just 1 and the same thing with the num2 and everything is working again
As for my payware aircraft I had asked the companies that I bought them from if they could help me out and was told because Microsoft had removed a service needed to install them they would no longer install on Windows 10.
Lucky for me I had made a restore point and wound up restoring every thing back to where it was before i had changed anything and managed to retrieve my aircraft so everything is back to normal as it can be but I still have no clue as to why the num1 or num2 keys no longer work to answer ATC
Has any one else had this strange problem I think it might have been some kind of a windows update but not sure.
Totally confused :? :?
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Re: Strange event

Postby Fozzer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:30 am

Blimey Gary!.... :shock: ....!

Lots of words!

Did the Prince marry the Princess at the end?

...and what happened to the wicked Queen?

Paul..... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ViperPilot » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:12 pm

Moral to the Story:

-- Don't use the Saitek Software that comes with the Hardware. The Default Windows/FlightSim Calibration should be more than enough to get all of the buttons/switches/Hat to work. If you need more than that, FSUIPC ($$) is all you'll need. I don't know who 'wrote' the Software, but people have had issues with it for decades!

-- Don't automatically assume an Install/Re-Install of FS will solve the problem... not unless you use some sort of ;cleaner' that will scrub the Registry and delete all unnecessary FS related Files. CC Cleaner is good for this.

-- In my experience, for some reason FS doesn't seem to like assigning other Commands to the Number Pad keys; I hooked up an extra 10 Key pad to my Computer and Assigned commands to it in the FS Calibration menu. When I fired up the Sim, the keypad defaulted to the stock View commands!

Alan :ugeek:
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Shadowcaster » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:44 pm

Fozzer wrote:

I think I married her :doh: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby Hawkeye07 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:58 pm

Shadowcaster wrote:
Fozzer wrote:

Cheers
Rich

She's alive and well in Sacramento, Ca. She's my sister-in-law :twisted:
"When you see her stare into a roaring fire and smile, be afraid, be very afraid."

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:15 pm

Shadowcaster wrote:
Fozzer wrote:

Cheers
Rich

It's been a while since you posted that. Are you sleeping out side yet?
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby zswobbie1 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:03 am

Thank, all, for brightning up my day.. <<v
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Shadowcaster » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:00 am

OldAirmail wrote:
Shadowcaster wrote:
Fozzer wrote:

Cheers
Rich

It's been a while since you posted that. Are you sleeping out side yet?

Always keep a sleeping bag, kettle and tea in the shed. :lol: :lol: :lol:
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby Roypcox » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:56 am

Gary, are you glad you change over to W10? Is it really worth the hassle?? I haven't made the change yet...too many bad war stories about it. Does it really bring any advantages to our hobby? Just would like your input. Thanks.
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:42 am

Roypcox wrote:Gary, are you glad you change over to W10? Is it really worth the hassle?? I haven't made the change yet...too many bad war stories about it. Does it really bring any advantages to our hobby? Just would like your input. Thanks.

I can understand completely. You have to ask your self a couple of good questions
1) What kind of software am I currently using and will Windows 10 support it
2) Is my system ready for windows 10?
The first thing I would do if i was you is to download and run the Windows 10 tool that will let you know if your system will support it and it will tell you if you have any devices or software that will not work.
When I made the change I had all kinds of problems some of my devices would not work because of no driver in Windows 10 for them. I wound up installing and removing it three times because I thought I was doing something wrong or took the wrong option.
Microsoft has since released two major updates for Windows 10 and now every thing seems to work just fine.
If you have any old programs you might want to check with the manufacturer to make sure it can run on windows 10.
One good part about the change over is you will not have to reinstall any software It will automatically convert it so to speak.
But what you do have to be aware of is that some of the older programs require a service that is not in Windows 10 and because of that the program will not install.
That was one of the issues I ran into when I uninstalled FS2004
And while you can install FS2004 on a windows 10 system you will have to install the NOCD PATCH for it as it will not run otherwise
One of the bad things about Windows 10 is the UAC (User Account Control) Microsoft has locked it down tight
One good reason NOT TO INSTALL FS2004 or FSX in the default location
Granted you can turn the UAC down but both FSX and FS2004 will run better if not on the same disk as the operating system.
Making the change is a personal decision at some point in time you will either have to change or buy another system as Microsoft will stop supporting any of the older windows programs
Windows XP is no longer supported but windows 7 and 8 so far are still supported

Oh by the way the Wicked witch had water thrown on her and she melted and the Queen got Kinged :lol:
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Roypcox » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:47 pm

Gary; thanks for a wonderful and concise reply. Many points to ponder that for sure.
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:04 am

Roypcox wrote:Gary; thanks for a wonderful and concise reply. Many points to ponder that for sure.

No problem like i said the one big nasty thing about Windows 10 is the Security Microsoft put in it. The UAC in my opinion is a pain in the a** Microsoft locked down the Program Files Folder like Fort Knox. I know there are people who will argue about this but The last Place you want to install FS2004 or FSX is in the default location
If you should decide to make the change do it on a day that you can take your time because there are a lot of questions you will have to answer. Do not use the default install as it will set up all of your permissions up at the highest level and it could cause all kinds of issues.
I am not trying to scare you it is just the way Windows 10 sets up about the only thing missing is it does not ask for a finger print or your blood type YET

Honestly it is not that big of a deal but it is definitely different than any other Windows you have ever installed
As log as you do not rush through it it goes smoothly.
8-)
Gary M Buska
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:22 am

garymbuska wrote:

Oh by the way the Wicked witch had water thrown on her and she melted and the Queen got Kinged :lol:

Gary.....

....does it also work if you throw water over Windows 10?..... :think: ....!

Paul.....Windows 8.1....and lovin' it.... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby garymbuska » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:27 am

Fozzer wrote:
garymbuska wrote:

Gary.....

....does it also work if you throw water over Windows 10?..... :think: ....!

Paul.....Windows 8.1....and lovin' it.... :D ...!

It would not melt per say but it would turn your computer into a paper weight for sure.
Maybe you can put glass slippers on your computer and tap them three times and send it to Kansas :lol: :whistle:
Gary M Buska
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby EVVFCX » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:44 am

Hi Gary,

Not been on the site for a little while and saw this problem with the 1 & 2 for ATC and you saying the screen just flashed, sounds like you were changing the view but because it was a quick press you didn't see the new view just the display starting to change then back to it's original view.

Having Num lock ON/OFF will do this, if you had set the button to use Num 1 then num lock was off your then changing the view.

As someone has mentioned, don't use the Saitek software, I've not even installed it once, I use registered version of FSUIPC and do the compound button settings as well to get more out of the yoke's buttons, otherwise your only getting one command for each button where you can get three on each with compound settings.

regards

Steve
May the Mynd be with you.
So far my number of landings either passenger or pilot equal my number of takeoffs.

FSX Gold Acc, P3D V4, FS2020
EVVFCX
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight