Adjusting Elevator Trim Effectiveness

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

Adjusting Elevator Trim Effectiveness

Postby investdude » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:50 pm

I have the elevator trim set on 2 buttons on my joystick. One for nose up and one for nose down. I'm trying to find a way to adjust the effectiveness. This is not specific to any particular aircraft.

For all my aircraft, one press of an elevator trim button, whether for up or down trim, is too much. I have never been able to trim an aircraft precisely so that it maintains a level attitude. I have tried reducing the elevator_trim_effectiveness under [flight_tuning] in the aircraft.cfg file but even if I reduce it from 1.0 to 0.1 it has no effect, each blip of trim is still far too effective (way too much). Does anyone know how to do this? Is there any other way to adjust this in the aircraft.cfg file or is there something you can do in the air file? Any insight would be appreciated.
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Adjusting Elevator Trim Effectiveness

Postby napamule » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:16 am

A button won't do because essentially it's a 'ON/OFF' switch. You need to use numpad keys 1 and 7 for pitch trim. There is a 'trick' I use. Pressing 'Z' key activated AP. Pressing 'Alt+Z' does a 'Set Alt to Present Alt' operation. The Sim will then set the pitch trim for level flight. The other key press I use is 'Alt+H' to do a 'Set Heading to Present HDG' operation. Pressing the same 2 keys will de-activate them (ie: Alt+Z and Alt+H). Don't for get to press the 'Z' key to de-activate the AP itself for hand flying. Personally I got tired of 'reaching' for keys on the keyboard so I bought a Targus 10-Key USB numpad ($15) and it sits to left of keyboard. There I map throttle, pitch trim, spoiler, parking brake, tail hook, water rudder and snap to 2D and snap to Spot View. I did this 10 years ago so I could drive the FSX vehicles. Won't fly without it now.
Chuck B
Napamule
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Captain Midnight » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:18 am

napamule wrote:A button won't do because essentially it's a 'ON/OFF' switch. You need to use numpad keys 1 and 7 for pitch trim. There is a 'trick' I use. Pressing 'Z' key activated AP. Pressing 'Alt+Z' does a 'Set Alt to Present Alt' operation. The Sim will then set the pitch trim for level flight. The other key press I use is 'Alt+H' to do a 'Set Heading to Present HDG' operation. Pressing the same 2 keys will de-activate them (ie: Alt+Z and Alt+H). Don't for get to press the 'Z' key to de-activate the AP itself for hand flying. Personally I got tired of 'reaching' for keys on the keyboard so I bought a Targus 10-Key USB numpad ($15) and it sits to left of keyboard. There I map throttle, pitch trim, spoiler, parking brake, tail hook, water rudder and snap to 2D and snap to Spot View. I did this 10 years ago so I could drive the FSX vehicles. Won't fly without it now.
Chuck B
Napamule

Buying a new car wasn't this complicated! More pressing of keys than a secretary in a law office!
Captain Midnight
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:24 am

Just an idea..
check if that function is set on 'repeat' in the setting assignments? Also check the same in FSUIPC, if you have it.
If not, get it. It is quite essential in setting up controls & sensitivities..
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby boromir125 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:30 am

Like most everything else in flying, proper elevator trim is a combination of things, not just one button push. Like you, I have two buttons programmed on my joystick. I find that for proper effectiveness, you have to adjust not only the trim, but throttle and aircraft speed as well. If you rely on just one adjustment, you're likely to experience more of what you're trying to avoid...
boromir125
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Apex » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:55 am

> To enable keyboard and/or joystick button pitch control:
Options>Controls>Assignments: Elevator Trim Down Elevator Trim Up
I assign both keyboard and joystick, mostly use joystick, but sometimes keyboard control helps. I set on repeat to smooth out.

> This controls the sensitivity of the trim, I forget exactly which way to change. Default is 1.0. I have my aircraft set to 0.4, try that 1st.
Aircraft.cfg:
[flight_tuning]
elevator_effectiveness = 0.4

> This doesn't seem to do much, so I left it at default.
elevator_trim_effectiveness = 1.0

Works for me. Try it.
Apex
Major
Major

Postby garymbuska » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:13 am

I just use the controls on the panel. On some of my payware aircraft that have a working FMC I have noticed that they will adjust the trim automatically. If you have a yaw damper it will prevent to much up and down movement but do not think it is really used for elevator trim. In the real world most aircraft can adjust the stabelator it is usually set before take off but can be adjusted in mid air I think. But than most aircraft have trim tabs on the control surfaces.
<<q
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby investdude » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:37 pm

I tried the Z and Ctrl+Z trick and it works quite well. Thanks for the suggestion Napamule!
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby napamule » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:05 pm

Ay! I wouldn't of recommended it if it did not work perfect. Every time! I figure I have used these key combos 1000 times or more in the last 10 years. It's just such a neat 'trick'. No fuss - no muss.
Chuck B
Napamule
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight