DECAY

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

DECAY

Postby mikeEmerc » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:22 pm

I had been away for quite some time.
While away,folks on the other sim page forums spoke of the slow decay of Simviation.
I found this hard to believe,tho the page I was enjoying at the time was increasing in popularity.
Seems they were right.
Simviation seems to have slowed way down in participation by many in the forum,and the downloads available are now covering mainly those ac that have been covered too many times in the past to count.
Creativity seems to have all but died and what is now available is simply repaints added to models created long before.
Thankfully,the net has many FS download sites to offer to support the areas that seem to be dying in Simviation.
mikeEmerc
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: DECAY

Postby Tonydb » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:49 pm

It all depends on what you judge the site by. This site is user friendly, helpful, has a lot of members with a good sense of humour and holds libraries of most of what the majority of flight simmers need.

Compare that to other sites where there are monumental ego's controlling everything, endless repaints of Payware, and never ending attempts to part users from their money. Here users help users without sneering or sarcasm.

No, Simviation is not in decay, it is a healthy site that reflects the the user base it caters for. In my opinion it is the best site of all that is out there.
AMD FSX 8 Series 4.65 KHz, 16GB Memory, ASUS MB, 2 X 2TB hard drives, 1 X 1TB SSD, Orico 4TB external backup drive, AMD 9000 series Graphics Card, 3 X AOC 25" Monitors Saitek AV8R, Saitek throttle block, custom cooling
Tonydb
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Anthindelahunt » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:15 am

If Simviation is in decay,why are there so many Simmers
posting all the time.The humour you find here makes you want to
come back,time again.You feel at home and you have many friends
willing to help... :clap:

I won't name them but there are sights that you get the feeling you
are not welcome.Some sights are downright unfriendly.... :twisted:

There is a great library here,so I will say,Simviation is not in decay.... :dance: :dance:
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby Flacke » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:35 am

Tonydb wrote:It all depends on what you judge the site by. This site is user friendly, helpful, has a lot of members with a good sense of humour and holds libraries of most of what the majority of flight simmers need.

Compare that to other sites where there are monumental ego's controlling everything, endless repaints of Payware, and never ending attempts to part users from their money. Here users help users without sneering or sarcasm.

No, Simviation is not in decay, it is a healthy site that reflects the the user base it caters for. In my opinion it is the best site of all that is out there.

My feelings exactly. Simviation is for the people like what they get here.
Anybody who wants something else is very welcome to get on their horse and ride...................
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Roypcox » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:05 am

I don`t know where you got you info from but I check this site 3-4 time a day. I have asked for help for all kinds of inquirers and have always been giving knowledgeable info with a more than gracious heart. No one has ever talked down to me nor has tried to sell me anything. Where you get you information from I don`t know but maybe you are just trying the old pot a bit and if you dish it out we can sure take it. Helpful criticism is always a good thing. Can you give accounts of what you are referring to? homeboy
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby striker » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:13 am

I was puzzled by what you said and I know several designers and other contributors upload to the other main sites as well.
(maybe it's because there are no replies to your previous posts but give that some time?)

So I looked at download counts of flightsim vs simviation (I am not including avsim because that site really seems to be dominated by payware repaints) and there are no other sites in the same league.

Garry Smiths Jump heaven Flightsim/29 simviation/48
Caproni Campini Updated Flightsim/161 simviation/385
Martinair Cargo McDonnell Douglas MD-11CF Flightsim/542 simviation/1001
Dornier Do-17z Upgrade Flightsim/302 simviation/400
McDonnell F-101 2-str Package Update Flightsim/590 simviation/824

In fact I could not find one file uploaded to other sites with more downloads than simviation. Looking back years it also looks like simviation gets as many or more downloads today than it did 5 or 10 years ago. I find it great that this reflects the enduring interest in our great hobby!

If you are a payware all the way person maybe simviation is not your drink. However, as already said, I find no egos or put downs here on the forums and the library contains just what I want which is new freeware every day and an awesome back catalogue that could keep me entertained for years! .
striker
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby mikeEmerc » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:50 am

Amazing. All of the names of those in reply are new to me,regardless of their "rank" in their profile.
WHERE have YOU folks been when some of us have had questions or asked for help?
And in regards to a "happy place" full of helpful people...this is only partly true.
When someone is chastised for speaking their mind (even when using non-vulgar language) ,there's something rather oppressive there.
No...I have been in the sim community for far too long to let a handful sway what I do know. And what I do know is Simviation is NOT the only place to get help OR downloads. And THAT is why I have been away for the time I have been gone.Because I have found other sites just as worthy of praise.And I havent forsaken them for Simviation. I return here once in a while,but as far as being my favorite sim site,...Simviation hasnt been my favorite for some time now,and I still see no improvement. Now,...that I have spoke politely about what is on my mind,lets see just how happy and fair this thread stays.I mean,I DO have the right to speak how I feel as long as I make no personal attacks and speak civil,right?
mikeEmerc
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Apex » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:09 am

Everything is well and good here at SimV. Those of us who are regulars (or lifers, if you will) seem to be having a good time communicating and chatting with one another.

There is absolutely no evidence or indication of anything that could be termed "DECAY" here at SimV. I thoroughly enjoy this site every day for a few bits, and I feel
like I know people here like I know my face-to-face friends. When I need a laugh, there's good humor here. If I have any FS questions, which I usually do not, I know
I can get help here. If I want to check up on the latest in music stuff or post in that forum, this is really a great place for that. And if I just want to get away from it
all for a few bits, I know SimV is here. Not only all of the above, but its forum format is quite good and easy to nav thru.

I've been with SimV since like 2003, it's been good to me, for me, and for everyone else here. I support it, and many others support it. I've not noticed any decay,
I've noticed quite the opposite, lately it's been on the upswing.

So I say 3 cheers for SimV! Hip Hip, Hurrah!

You have used the phrase "I do know" in your post here. Well, we all "know" stuff. "Knowing" is subjective; subject to the "knower's" perceptions. You cannot quantify
a site like SimV. It is what it is, and most of us here seem to think "it is" good and we like it, otherwise we wouldn't still be here.

Let's just enjoy it all, huh?!?
Apex
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:14 am

Well, I've been here since the year dot & I must agree that this forum is not as active as it once was. People move on to other things & members come & go. It's always been like that.

WHERE have YOU folks been when some of us have had questions or asked for help?

I note that this is the FS2004 section which explains why comparatively new members don't answer your questions. They are more likely to have started with FSX/P3D. I keep quiet unless I think I can help. Things are far more complicated nowadays & I can see no reason for posting comments just for the sake of it.

This also explains the lack of new files in the FS2004 sections on the main site. With a few notable exceptions, like Garry J Smith, most 3rd party developers are now concentrating on FSX & P3D.

I've visited the SimV forum regularly for more years than I care to remember & apart from a few trolls & spammers the members have always been a friendly & helpful bunch. I don't understand the recent arguments which only seem to affect the FS2004 forum. :?

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jphespe » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:25 am

I have been on SimV for longer than I can remember (at my age I can generally remember yesterday) but as a newbie I and a computer programmer NOVICE, I had many questions about the basics. I always was able to find the answers on the forums or by posting the query on the forum. ALWAYS an answer was provided by the grey hairs (ie: long timers at SimV) and if they did not readily have an answer the got back to me within a few days. WHERE ELSE IN THE SIM COMMUNITY CAN YOU GET THIS KIND OF HELP AND SUPPORT for $20 US?? I don't always reply to some of the questions raised in the forum because I am far from an expert. However if I can add something, other than noise, to the discussion I will. It has been said that you can't please all of the people all of the time but if you think you can find a better mousetrap good luck. These forums are for the exchange of ideas, improvements, and assistance. NO ONE ON THIS SITE OWES YOU ANYTHING. What is given is given freely and in the spirit of helpfullness. Please keep that in mind.
jphespe
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:32 pm

There are a number of technically astute members here who know certain areas such as FS2004 or FSX very well. But one thing that I've noticed is that many first time posters want an answer immediately.

You on the other hand, by self admission, are not a newbie to Simviation.

What name did you use to use?

If that's a bit touchy, you can ignore the question.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby jphespe » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:01 pm

I have always been jphespe.
jphespe
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby striker » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:35 pm

jphespe wrote:I have always been jphespe.

He doesn't mean you. :P
He's asking who mikeEmerc was in his previous life here. mikeEmerk said he used to be here but he only registered with that name in April 2016.

All of the names of those in reply are new to me,regardless of their "rank" in their profile

Your own name will also be new to you :lol:
striker
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:40 pm

Well mikeEmerk I will say, as a relatively new member, that I've found this forum to be a rather nice place to hang out. Matter of fact I usually check the "latest Forum Posts" before I even glance at the new files. It's sort of like checking the front page of the newspaper for the headlines. As far as friendly goes; I've locked horns with a couple of other members over differences of opinions but nothing that was hateful or spiteful. We didn't agree, we said so and life went on. We have also agreed on many more topics than we disagreed on and cheered for each other when a problem was finally solved or a screen shot was submitted that was just outstanding. Now I will submit that I don't ever venture into the FS9 area but that's simply because I run FSX. Are things different there? Hech if I know. The bottom line is that everyone I've had contact with or read their posts have been decent folks, every one of them. If the grass is greener somewhere else would you please tell me which site(s) instead of vaguely referring to "other sites" because I'd really like to see for myself what you are talking about.

Until then, as Fozzer would say "I'm hanging here with my mates."

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:38 pm

When I started with FSX I naturally checked any flight sim site that I could find.

I'm, technically, registered in most of them, but I visit very few of them. As many have already said, I like it here better than the other sites.

Some seem to harbor a few members who want nothing more than to stir up an argument. I choose not to go out in a blaze of glory, I just quietly say sayonara, and leave.

Why waste time on a site that you don't like?
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Next

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight