Aircraft Texture Problem

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

Aircraft Texture Problem

Postby investdude » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:15 pm

I'm having a problem with some of my aircraft textures. It seems to be an Alpha channel problem and I don't know how to fix it. Some of my aircraft which have shiny, bare metal textures have inexplicably become darker so that the metal is no longer shiny. I have one .bmp file which is still correct and when I compare it in DXTBmp to the same file which is darker, there is to be a difference in the Alpha channel. The Alpha channel of the incorrect darker .bmp shows almost an exact copy of the main .bmp file with the same level of darkness, whereas the correct .bmp file Alpha channel shows just a uniform, plain grey colour with no markings at all. Hagar can you help?
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Aircraft Texture Problem

Postby Hagar » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:58 am

investdude wrote:Hagar can you help?

Not sure I can but I'll give it a shot. My first question would be; Have you changed any display settings recently, either your graphics card settings or from FS2004 Settings?
Have you recently updated your graphics card drivers?

If you give me examples of an aircraft that displays correctly & one that doesn't I'll check them out on my system.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby investdude » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:46 pm

Thanks for responding Hagar. I have definitely not changed any graphic card settings or updated any graphic card drivers. As far as I can remember, I haven't changed any FS2004 settings.

The best example I can give you of an aircraft that displays incorrectly is the BAC-111-200 USAir N1127J. I believe it's available on Avsim if not Simviation. I can't give you an example that displays correctly as none of them do. All that have shiny bare metal textures, the bare metal textures are too dark.

I have found one BAC-111 file that displays correctly compared to that file in the texture folder. I will try to send you those two files by e-mail, if your e-mail address, which I have, is still valid.
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:04 am

OK. I received the files. I'll email you later.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby investdude » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:43 pm

Problem solved thanks to Hagar. I had Reflections disabled on the aircraft display settings. We exchanged e-mails, he suggested I check Reflections and, sure enough, that was the problem.
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Flacke » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:12 pm

When I grow up I want to be just like Hagar. Only way better looking...............
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Captain Midnight » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:39 pm

I sense a bromance emerging ........
Captain Midnight
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight