Changing out the panel and virtual cockpit

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

Changing out the panel and virtual cockpit

Postby blue-aviator-82 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:17 pm

Hello,

I need help in changing out the panel and virtual cockpit of an aircraft. Specifically I downloaded the FS2004 F-15E Strike Eagle Seymour Johnson Reskin and ai Package by Dave O'Brien (http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=f-15&categoryId=34&page=2&filename=). I love the aircraft, the AI performs perfectly, but when I try to use the aircraft the panel is that of a Lear 45, completely unacceptable. I was able to successfully replace the 2D cockpit with that of the CORAL F-15, but I am not at all successful with the virtual cockpit. If anyone can provide me with some assistance I would greatly appreciate it. I also have the IRIS F-15E which has a decent panel and virtual cockpit which I would rather use but since I don't know what I'm doing wrong, or not doing at all, I won't try to put it in. Thanks in advance! <<s
blue-aviator-82
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Changing out the panel and virtual cockpit

Postby B0ikat » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:12 pm

I do not think you can change the VC in a FS2004 aircraft since the VC is actually part of the model. The reason the VC can be changed in a FSX aircraft is because the "Visual" model and the VC are separate models.
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby hertzie » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:42 am

Maybe you can ask Michael Pook (look for his great stuff on this site), he's a genius with VC's, and so is Erwin Welker (his great work is also on SimV).

Regards,

hertzie.
hertzie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:42 am

B0ikat wrote:I do not think you can change the VC in a FS2004 aircraft since the VC is actually part of the model. The reason the VC can be changed in a FSX aircraft is because the "Visual" model and the VC are separate models.

You CAN NOT CHANGE THE VC of any aircraft in FS2004 or FSX unless you have the original files from the designer and than you would have to recompile it using GMAX or some other program like it.
<<u
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:49 am

garymbuska wrote:
B0ikat wrote:I do not think you can change the VC in a FS2004 aircraft since the VC is actually part of the model. The reason the VC can be changed in a FSX aircraft is because the "Visual" model and the VC are separate models.

You CAN NOT CHANGE THE VC of any aircraft in FS2004 or FSX unless you have the original files from the designer and than you would have to recompile it using GMAX or some other program like it.
<<u

:naughty: Not true for native FSX aircraft. As BOikat says, the external & interior models of native FSX aircraft are separate. This is one of the main differences between FS2004 & FSX. Azframer is currently working on a VC for the Boeing 777-9X.
http://forums.simviation.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=174852

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby blue-aviator-82 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:29 am

Hagar wrote:
garymbuska wrote:

<<u

:naughty: Not true for native FSX aircraft. As BOikat says, the external & interior models of native FSX aircraft are separate. This is one of the main differences between FS2004 & FSX. Azframer is currently working on a VC for the Boeing 777-9X.

Thanks everyone, I did not know that this was not at all an option in FS2004. I am working on upgrading some key components on my PC so I can run FSX to the max, at the moment running it looks terrible, but I look forward to working with it in the near future. <<s
blue-aviator-82
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Captain Midnight » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:49 pm

blue-aviator-82 wrote:I am working on upgrading some key components on my PC so I can run FSX to the max, at the moment running it looks terrible, but I look forward to working with it in the near future. <<s

All for a virtual cockpit? Please .... Please ..... Please reconsider the move to that "other" sim. We need all the people here we can get!
Captain Midnight
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby ViperPilot » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:35 pm

B-A-82,
Just wondering; is the CORAL Strike Eagle better than the IRIS offering? Perhaps you could try to find a Seymour Johnson repaint for the Iris bird, or have a Repainter knock one out for you...

With IRIS stuff for FS9 now being Freeware, I'm on a collecting binge!

Alan :ugeek:
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby garymbuska » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:46 pm

Hagar wrote:
garymbuska wrote:

<<u

Okay You learn something new everyday.
Thanks Hagar
Myself I hardly ever use a VC not sure why I prefer the 2d cockpit . Some VC"S are just not well designed and are more trouble than they are worth.
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby mikeEmerc » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:57 pm

I'm with you on the VC Garymbuska.
I never fly using the VC,...for the reason you give. In the 2D cockpit,I can add,remove gauges at will. I can modify the cockpit panel bmp. But with the VC,not so ...at least with any ease. And in mst VC,half of the things are painted and unusable,leaving only a few gauges that do work. AND...the VC bmp looks fuzzy on most ac that has them. Yeah,there are some with nice VC,but to use them,and to be able to look around without frame rate drop is a pain. Give me the 2d panel any day.
mikeEmerc
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fozzer » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:24 am

I've been with 2D cockpits since day one!

They may not be very authentic, but at least they are useful for all my needs when touring the scenery in my aircraft.

Together with my copy of FS Panel Studio, I can design and modify 2D control panels to to suit my will...>> http://www.fspanelstudio.com/

...and Will is always happy with the results!..... :D ...!

I can even install full-blown Bendix-King Radio Stacks with Autopilot, and all sorts of other useful "stuff", in my Hang Gliders and Gyro Planes, etc.... :dance: ...

It may not be very realistic, but my goodness, they are very useful!

A 2D panel gives me access to everything I need on the panel in front of me, without having to scroll around!

(The typical default Beech Baron 58, 2D panel)... ;) ...!

Paul....just using one eye.... ;) ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Captain Midnight » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:48 pm

One word ....... minipanel
Captain Midnight
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby ViperPilot » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:23 pm

Minipanels are nice, but I'll also take a good 2D Panel anytime. That's part of the fun... building your own custom airplane, with everything one needs just a click away.

ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby blue-aviator-82 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:38 am

ViperPilot wrote:B-A-82,
Just wondering; is the CORAL Strike Eagle better than the IRIS offering? Perhaps you could try to find a Seymour Johnson repaint for the Iris bird, or have a Repainter knock one out for you...

With IRIS stuff for FS9 now being Freeware, I'm on a collecting binge!

Well I do have both the CORAL and the IRIS versions the differences being that CORAL (to my knowledge) only has the single-seat variant, and IRIS does have the two-seat E model available. The VC that I was looking for was for a third model that is being used strictly as an AI which works great! I have jets all over the place taking off and landing all on their own it looks like a real operational base. The problem (and it is extremely minor of a problem) is that the AI jets are flyable, meaning I can choose them from the Aircraft menu, if I were to choose said model for a flight, they come with a Learjet 45 2D cockpit panel, and the VC is nonexistent. I wanted to change the 2D obviously and I was actually successful at that, it was a very simple operation. Actually getting a VC in place was what I was looking for but apparently that is a no-go without the "original files" as someone else mentioned above. <<s
blue-aviator-82
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby blue-aviator-82 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:47 am

ViperPilot wrote:Minipanels are nice, but I'll also take a good 2D Panel anytime. That's part of the fun... building your own custom airplane, with everything one needs just a click away.

I'm not familiar with minipanels, I'll begin looking into that. Thanks <<s
blue-aviator-82
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight