Pc Upgrade

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

Pc Upgrade

Postby babytiger23 » Fri May 13, 2016 5:37 pm

Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if someone would be able to help me. I am currently looking into upgrading my computer and was hoping someone could give me some advice,in terms of a good pc. My budget is £300 and I run fs9. Thank you in advance
John Agrela.
babytiger23
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Pc Upgrade

Postby OldAirmail » Fri May 13, 2016 7:48 pm

First, welcome. :clap:

I'm not an FS9 person, but I think that we'll need to know what you're running now for a computer.

Brand name computer or computer store built/bought, DYI?
CPU/speed?
Video card?
Hard disk size?
Ram?

That kind of stuff. The more the better.

At £300, you'll need to make careful choices.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Sat May 14, 2016 2:23 am

I'd betcha' Airmail its something like this - maybe ? :o :o :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Captain Midnight » Sat May 14, 2016 7:26 am

Not an FS9 person? Have I accidently wandered into the Twilight Zone? Those "other" peoples would recommend a supercomputing mainframe to run a sim .... out of necessity!
Captain Midnight
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Sat May 14, 2016 8:26 am

Captain Midnight wrote:Not an FS9 person? Have I accidently wandered into the Twilight Zone? Those "other" peoples would recommend a supercomputing mainframe to run a sim .... out of necessity!

???

The OP has a limited upgrade budget. Who knows what he has for a computer at the moment. For anyone to offer the help that he asks for, we need to know his starting point. That's true no matter what sim he's using.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sat May 14, 2016 10:04 am

babytiger23 wrote:Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if someone would be able to help me. I am currently looking into upgrading my computer and was hoping someone could give me some advice,in terms of a good pc. My budget is £300 and I run fs9. Thank you in advance
John Agrela.

To check what you have at the moment.

Click "Start"...at the bottom left of your screen....
In the "Search Box" type>>> dxdiag
Click on the program.

The computer specification will appear in in a window.

"Screenshot" each of the windows....
System.
Display.
Sound.
Input.
.....for us to see what you have already!

That will give us some idea what to recommend.

FS 2004 (FS9) sounds good!... :D ...!

Paul..... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Captain Midnight » Sat May 14, 2016 9:06 pm

OldAirmail wrote:
Captain Midnight wrote:Not an FS9 person? Have I accidently wandered into the Twilight Zone? Those "other" peoples would recommend a supercomputing mainframe to run a sim .... out of necessity!

???

The OP has a limited upgrade budget. Who knows what he has for a computer at the moment. For anyone to offer the help that he asks for, we need to know his starting point. That's true no matter what sim he's using.

Kinda think you missed the jist of what I was saying ... mainframe to run sim .... necessity .....
Well, it you didn't get it the first time .... it's an FS2004 take on things.
All's good. You may proceed. No foul intended.
Captain Midnight
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Tue May 17, 2016 7:51 am

I am currently using FS9 and FSX. In order to run FS9 maxed out you really do not need a super computer like you would for FSX but you still want a descent system.
The deciding factor here is what else would want to run on your new system. That is the first step you need to take. FS9 is not a huge CPU or Ram hog but you still would want at least a dual core CPU and 8 Gigs of ram should work fine. In order to put more than 4 gig on a mother board you will have to buy one that can use a 64 bit windows OS but that does not mean you have to have a 64 bit OS windows 7 32 bit will work just fine, The problem you might run into is the Operating system. The current OS for Microsoft is Windows 10 32 or 64 bit. You might have trouble finding a Windows 7 install disk but i think you can still find it
FS9 like FSX is a 32 bit program so having a 64 bit OS will not help a lot here. The current system I am using cost me about $800.00 That includes a New mother board a new power supply new RAM 12 GIGS a new CD and DVD drives a new CPU QUAD CORE and a descent Graphics card. I all ready had a good tower. And a new operating system at the time it was Windows 8. 64 bit of course I am now using Windows 10 64 but. The most expensive thing was the CPU followed by the mother board than the Power supply and the ram Optical drives are not that expensive.
Of course if you wish to play any of the newer games on your new system than all of this will change as the newer games are more demanding which means a better CPU and more RAM and a better graphics card.
My current mother board will hold up to 32 GIG but only have 12 GIGS on it

<<v
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby babytiger23 » Mon May 23, 2016 4:18 pm

Thank you all so much for your comments,I don't currently have a pc as unfortunately it packed up on me. I have put my budget upto £500 maybe 600. I just want to purchase a good pc with as many good specs as possible. Been stuck in terms of looking for one. And I just would like some advice.
Thank you
Jon.
babytiger23
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby OldAirmail » Mon May 23, 2016 5:42 pm

Just a quick look on Amazon UK shows a pretty good selection in the £500 - £600 price range.

Pound for Pound (£), a fast AMD CPU and an Eyefinity video card will save you a significant amount of money, and get you pretty good start.

For instance, a 3.3GHz AMD FX-8300 costs $117 (£80.78 British Pounds). A 3.2GHz Intel i5 will cost $256 (£176.75).

And if you, or a friend, can put together a system from parts, you can save even more. On one hand it's pretty easy putting it all together. The hard part is deciding what to buy with the money available.

Remember, if your old system was fairly old, just about anything made today will seem like a speeding rocket. Tom's Hardware Best CPUs.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby babytiger23 » Mon May 23, 2016 5:57 pm

Thank you so much for replying, that helped a lot. I shall have a look with more detail.
A couple more q's: does windows 10 work with fs9,as I've seen a lot of mixed reviews about that? Can I run fs9 on win7 professional?
babytiger23
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby pete » Tue May 24, 2016 1:32 pm

Hi and welcome

That's a good enough budget for a decent PC and also remember you can buy used -- ebay is your friend

Go for intel i5 (min) - 8GB ram - decent video card - 64 bit OS (4GB RAM may be ok for FS2004 - I can't remember - but RAM is the easiest thing to upgrade in a pc)

That's easily achieveable in that budget - it's a basic machine and will run FS2004 and FSX without problems. Try to go for a well known make too.

Let us know how you get on or if you find some you are thinking about - post here and we will try to help.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby garymbuska » Tue May 24, 2016 4:58 pm

babytiger23 wrote:Thank you so much for replying, that helped a lot. I shall have a look with more detail.
A couple more q's: does windows 10 work with fs9,as I've seen a lot of mixed reviews about that? Can I run fs9 on win7 professional?

In order for FS9 to run on Windows 10 you will need the nocdpatch otherwise it will not work

Pete Made a post here about where to find the nocd patch.
8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight