Strange behavior with the spoilers and ailerons in fs9

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

Strange behavior with the spoilers and ailerons in fs9

Postby Heinz57 » Thu May 05, 2016 10:07 pm

Having just semi-solved (with your help, of course) the Win 7 compatibility problem, I'm now faced with yet another issue of FS9 on Win 7. I opened up the program one day not too long ago to find the spoilers and ailerons on all my planes acting in weird ways, flipping up and down (individually and together) at random intervals as soon as the program became active. Setting the autopilot seemed to solve the problem, sort of, but as soon as it was turned off, the spoilers would pop up, the plane would roll to that side, stall out, dive, and descend to the ground, and there was no way I could stop it from doing that. I have tried virtually every way I can think of to solve that problem, but no luck. Any ideas? I'm ready to chuck the whole program into the garbage and go hit my swimming pool.......
Heinz57
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Strange behavior with the spoilers and ailerons in fs9

Postby B0ikat » Thu May 05, 2016 10:27 pm

Sounds like a funky joystick/controller.
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Flacke » Fri May 06, 2016 2:24 am

Yes, like BOikat said, it sounds like a classic case of Joystick "spiking".
It could be that the Potentiometers in the stick are dirty,
It could be that one or more of the Pots in the stick are worn out.

If it were me, I would start by doing a really good Calibration of the joystick and then go from there.

If you have another joystick you could connect that and see if the problems disappear.
If you don't have a spare maybe if a friend owns a good stick you could borrow it for day to see if the problems go away with the other stick.

Good luck with this.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Heinz57 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:46 pm

Okay, so I tried a new controller. In fact. I found, among my stuff, a brand new, never been used, never out of the box yoke controller, and when I put it on the system, IT DID THE SAME RANDOM, UNCONTROLLED MOTIONS OF THE AILERONS AND THE SPOILERS AS BEFORE. Any more suggestions?
Heinz57
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Dave T » Tue May 10, 2016 3:08 am

Has it always had this problem from the first time you installed it? Usually set everything back to default using the settings menu, delete fs9.cfg and let it create a new one.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Tue May 10, 2016 3:15 am

If its a USB Joystick, try sticking it into a different USB socket....

..sometimes the USB circuit (like me) sometimes gets confused with conflicting instructions... ;) ..!

Paul....mostly confused.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby mikeEmerc » Fri May 13, 2016 10:32 am

I had a problem very similar to this. Found out that the problem was that I also had my X-Box style Logitec game controller also hooked up and it was causing conflict with my Saitek flight stick. When I disconnected the Logitec,the Saitek worked fine and no further problems showed.
mikeEmerc
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby garymbuska » Thu May 19, 2016 7:44 am

When you plug anything into a USB port the first thing your system will do is to down load a driver for the device you plugged in. In some cases even though you plugged a different device it might be close enough so your system will not download a new driver. There are a couple of options that will solve this problem the easiest one is to plug the new device into a different USB slot
Also rename the FS9 CFG file to FS9.BAK than FS9 will build a new one
After installing the new device make sure you can see the device and to go through calibrating it
The others involve uninstalling or removing the old device from your system which can be tricky finding the correct one to remove.
You can also look in your device manager to see if you have any problems in your USB ports
<<u
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight