HELP~!!!! I NEED AS MUCH ADVICE AS I CAN GET, PLEASE!!!

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

HELP~!!!! I NEED AS MUCH ADVICE AS I CAN GET, PLEASE!!!

Postby Heinz57 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:48 pm

I've been using FS9 for years, ever since the days of XP. It's been running just fine, if a little rough, since I began my FS adventure. Recently, I constructed my own cockpit enclosure, and I decided to switch to Windows 8.1 to see if I could improve the frame rate to smooth out the motions. Worked fine for weeks, even using a three-screen setup for cockpit surround. Then it picked up an update that screwed everything up royally. The system refused to let me log on. I went across all the forums that I could access for advice, and finally a solution presented itself: Go back to Windows 7 and do away with the need for a CD in the drive to support the program. Worked great, till another update from Microsoft undid everything I was trying to achieve. My friendly computer guru sold me a gaming PC, worked it up so that it would run FS9, and everything appeared hunky-dory. EXCEPT: I discovered I couldn't add extra planes or scenery, except to us the basic program, with my newest versions of the latest drivers and software. So, there I am trying to build my program into something worth while, and it won't let me add any planes or scenery. The stuff I used to have on with FS9 on XP won't take under Windows 7, even with the newest drivers. The stuff is there in the file, but not when you look for it in the program. It just won't recognize it. WHAT CAN I DO, AND HOW DOES THIS WORK SO THAT I CAN ENJOY THE PROGRAM THE WAY I USED TO ENJOY IT WITH ONE SCREEN AND THE OLD WINDOWS XP??????? PLEASE, IF YOU CAN HELP ME, I HAVE ALL THE LATEST STUFF TO MAKE THIS PROGRAM ZZZIINNNG!!!! DON'T TELL ME TO GO TO FSX - I HATE THE WAY MICROSOFT SCREWED THAT UP. I WISH BRUCE ARTWICK WERE STILL AROUND, THAT'S WHERE I FIRST GOT INTERESTED IN THIS SIMULATOR PROGRAM. PLEASE HELP A DEDICATED FLIER!!!!
Heinz57
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: HELP~!!!! I NEED AS MUCH ADVICE AS I CAN GET, PLEASE!!!

Postby Flacke » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:08 pm

All I can add is...........DON'T GIVE UP! Everything is solvable with time. That Cockpit with 3-Screens is worth fighting for! Good luck with all this.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Awaken » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:02 am

I'm with Flacke, don't give up, FS9 looks great on modern hardware and software. I run Fs2004,FSX, and Xplane all on Win7 x64, no problem. I installed each in its own folder of my root drive, C:/FS2004/ as example. Maybe a uninstall/ reinstall to a directory other than C:/ProgramFiles, I've read that helps lots of errors. Maybe it's windows UAC messing it up, maybe disable it. Hope you get it running again. :)
AMD R5 1600 AF on ASROCK B450, Teamgroup 16GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1650 Super , 500 GB SSD and 3TB HDD, EVGA 500W PS, ASUS 27in. MX27A 2k monitor, Windows 10
Awaken
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:16 am

Look for the UAC setting, & turn it right down..
Maybe that will do the trick.
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Dave T » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:07 am

If it is installed in the default location all you need to do is give fs9 folder full access .
1.Right click on Flight Simulator9 folder
2.Properties from drop down menu
3.click on security tab
4.click on edit
5.highlight the user(computer name)
6 check all boxes giving fs9 full control and click ok

and then right click on fs9 folder and uncheck read only click apply and when its doneclick ok. I run both FS9/FSX on W7 64bit without any UAC problems in the default location.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby garymbuska » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:17 am

Dave T wrote:If it is installed in the default location all you need to do is give fs9 folder full access .
1.Right click on Flight Simulator9 folder
2.Properties from drop down menu
3.click on security tab
4.click on edit
5.highlight the user(computer name)
6 check all boxes giving fs9 full control and click ok

and then right click on fs9 folder and uncheck read only click apply and when its doneclick ok. I run both FS9/FSX on W7 64bit without any UAC problems in the default location.

This is one way to get around the permissions problems that started with Windows 7 and it will and does work with no problems.
But for me I like the old keep it simple approach all you have to do is not to install FSX or FS9 in the default location and than you do not have to go through all of the other stuff.
As you can see by my signature I am using Windows 10 and have no issues with FSX or FS9. Your problem could very well have to do with the Three screens that you use. What device do you use to get the three screens. I would bet that a update changed something to where the device no longer works the way it did. I would suggest you look for a updated driver for the device that just might solve your problems.
If the Video card you are using is made by NVIDEA or uses a Gforce GPU than there is a program called GFORCE EXPERIENCE here is the link http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/download
This program will keep your video card driver up to date. It will automatically uninstall the old driver and install the new driver without you having to do any thing.
It really makes updating your video card driver a simple task.
The only thing you have to watch out for is if you use the default install it will install a 3D driver and since i do not have a 3D display I chose the custom install and do not install the 3D driver

<<u
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight