2004 a century of flight

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

2004 a century of flight

Postby stent » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:27 am

from stent, Hi I have been frustrated for weeks trying to get my copy of 2004 working. It has been downloaded successfully but when I click on the 2004 shortcut the no 4 disk will not start the dvd player is not at fault. when I troubleshoot the program it comes up as incompatible programme. I am on windows 7. I wonder if other
players have had this problem. stent
stent
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: 2004 a century of flight

Postby tbus » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:06 am

I believe that this was caused by a Microsoft "update" which renders programs requiring a CD in the player to be disabled (for security reasons ..... what a laugh).
You could roll back the offending update, but unless you know what you're doing .... it will just come back
SO........
The simplest way to get your FS2004 back up and running is to get the NO-CD crack (I believe available on this website) and use it to start FS2004. No problems after that!

FS2004 No CD Patch (Category: FS2004 > Misc)
Zip file preview
0.22Mb (79915 downloads)
Fixes the need to have to load the CD in FS2004 every time you use it. Saves the CD and a lot of time. This is the No-CD patch for Flight Simulator 2004. Simply replace the fs9.exe file in the root folder with this one and play away! Enjoy!
Posted Jun 23, 2008 14:27 by archive
tbus
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:57 am

tbus wrote:I believe that this was caused by a Microsoft "update" which renders programs requiring a CD in the player to be disabled (for security reasons ..... what a laugh).
You could roll back the offending update, but unless you know what you're doing .... it will just come back
SO........
The simplest way to get your FS2004 back up and running is to get the NO-CD crack (I believe available on this website) and use it to start FS2004. No problems after that!

FS2004 No CD Patch (Category: FS2004 > Misc)
Zip file preview
0.22Mb (79915 downloads)
Fixes the need to have to load the CD in FS2004 every time you use it. Saves the CD and a lot of time. This is the No-CD patch for Flight Simulator 2004. Simply replace the fs9.exe file in the root folder with this one and play away! Enjoy!
Posted Jun 23, 2008 14:27 by archive

The problem here is you installed FS2004 in the default location which is C/Program Files/Microsoft Games
Since Windows 7 the operating systems treats any program or file inside of the Program Files folder as System files and will not allow a program to access a CD or DVD drive to run a program.
It has to do with Permission and privileges
The way around this is simple Install FS9 anyplace but not in the default location. The best place to put any version of FS is on another hard drive but not everyone has a way to add another harddrive. But using the nocdcrack will work as well.
If you should ever update to windows 10 you will have to use the nocdcrack to run FS9 No matter where you install it at.
<<u
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby zswobbie1 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:38 am

The problem here is you installed FS2004 in the default location which is C/Program Files/Microsoft Games
Since Windows 7 the operating systems treats any program or file inside of the Program Files folder as System files and will not allow a program to access a CD or DVD drive to run a program

This is NOT the problem, & the operating system certainly does NOT regard programs & files within the folder as System files.
It actually does not matter where you install the sim. I have 3x versions of FS9. 2x in the default location, & another in the root c:\ drive, as well as P3D working perfectly.
It actually makes no difference at all, provided the UAC slider is right down.

All you have to do is to use the no-cd thingie & run the sim in 'Windows Mode'! Alt-Enter, then maximize the screen.
Prefect!!
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby tbus » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:58 am

+1
tbus
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:48 am

zswobbie1 wrote:The problem here is you installed FS2004 in the default location which is C/Program Files/Microsoft Games
Since Windows 7 the operating systems treats any program or file inside of the Program Files folder as System files and will not allow a program to access a CD or DVD drive to run a program

This is NOT the problem, & the operating system certainly does NOT regard programs & files within the folder as System files.
It actually does not matter where you install the sim. I have 3x versions of FS9. 2x in the default location, & another in the root c:\ drive, as well as P3D working perfectly.
It actually makes no difference at all, provided the UAC slider is right down.

All you have to do is to use the no-cd thingie & run the sim in 'Windows Mode'! Alt-Enter, then maximize the screen.
Prefect!!

I do not want to start a argument here by no means but Why do you think you have to turn down the UAC control ?
Straight from the Microsoft pages Starting with Windows 7 Any thing in the Program Files folder is protected Now it might not treat them as system files but that does not change the fact that it protects programs inside of this folder and will prevent some third party programs from working correctly. Why do you see so many posts on this subject talking about permissions and privileges. It is because of the Program Files Folder is protected which is why some people are turning down the UAC and changing permissions and privileges.
Now you can turn down the UAC and by doing so you in effect unlock the folder.
But like I said the easiest way is to put any FS program someplace else than you will have no problems at all.
And using the NOCDCRACK will work as well.
But Like I said I am not trying to start a argument here
8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby zswobbie1 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:14 am

No problem.
I have always turned down the UAC control, as I find it pretty useless. I've done this on my 2x laptops & also on about 30 PC's at our virtual flying club. Never an issue.
I prefer installing anything in the folders where they are supposed to go. I have a 2nd install of flight sim in the c;\ directory, just to see what happens.

I just dislike Microsoft moaning at me as the UAC does. It does not do anything else.

Anyhow, It works for me & about 40-50 others over the years.

No argument at all, just my findings.
Have a great weekend.

Cheers,
Robin
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby ViperPilot » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:19 am

I have FS9 Installed outside of Program Files, with the Shortcut set to 'Run as Administrator'. The CD fix is in, and I still get the UAC prompt.

One click on 'yes', and voíla... FS9 loads. Yes, I also have two messages about Gauge .dll's, but I click 'yes' on those, too. The Select Flight screen comes up, and all is good.

It may be an annoyance to some, but I don't mind the extra three clicks. To me, it's better than trying to 're-write' the FS9.cfg File over and over; sometimes I wonder if all of the problems people have with their Installs is caused by the continuous suggestions, from others, to futz with the .cfg File in the 1st place...

Hey... if the Sim works, don't futz with it!

Alan ^-^ :ugeek:
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby tbus » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:29 am

+1

broke.jpg
broke.jpg (12.36 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
tbus
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:56 am

ViperPilot wrote:I have FS9 Installed outside of Program Files, with the Shortcut set to 'Run as Administrator'. The CD fix is in, and I still get the UAC prompt.

I've installed all my MS sims to locations outside the Program Files directory for many years & never had a single problem in any OS from WinXP thru my current Win 10 64-bit. I don't recall ever seeing the UAC prompt that you refer to.

I also have two messages about Gauge .dll's, but I click 'yes' on those, too. The Select Flight screen comes up, and all is good.

It may be an annoyance to some, but I don't mind the extra three clicks. To me, it's better than trying to 're-write' the FS9.cfg File over and over; sometimes I wonder if all of the problems people have with their Installs is caused by the continuous suggestions, from others, to futz with the .cfg File in the 1st place...

Hey... if the Sim works, don't futz with it!

Alan ^-^ :ugeek:

This is a very common bug with some 3rd party modules that is easily fixed with a simple edit of FS9.cfg. FSSound.dll is probably the most frequent example but there are others. Open FS9.cfg in Notepad & add the following header named [OLDMODULES]. I put it at the bottom of the CFG but it can go anywhere. Add as many modules as you need below the header using the exact names of the offending DLLs. Then exit Notepad saving changes when prompted.
[OLDMODULES]
FSSound.dll=1

As always please make a backup copy of CFG files before editing them.

zswobbie1 wrote:All you have to do is to use the no-cd thingie & run the sim in 'Windows Mode'! Alt-Enter, then maximize the screen.
Prefect!!

I've had FS9 installed on Windows 7, 8.1 & !0 (all 64-bit). It runs fine in Full Screen mode for me.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Jean Loup » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:17 pm

Hagar wrote:...I've had FS9 installed on Windows 7, 8.1 & !0 (all 64-bit). It runs fine in Full Screen mode for me.

HELLO, me in my obsolete Lap I run TWO versions of FS 2004: Golden Wings (with Golden Hawaii selector) & Silver Wings. My OS is the dreaded & infamous Windows ViSTA Home Premium Service Pack 2 32-bit :roll: :( :o They run fine in "Windowed" or "Full Screen", all sliders to the right. But I feel smoother ops in "Windowed" mode (same as "Full Screen" but with a frame & title & no Menu)
...LiCENSE & REGiSTRATiON !!
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby Jean Loup » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:00 pm

Jean Loup wrote:HELLO, me in my obsolete Lap I run TWO versions of FS 2004: Golden Wings (with Golden Hawaii selector) & Silver Wings. My OS is the dreaded & infamous Windows ViSTA Home Premium Service Pack 2 32-bit :roll: :( :o They run fine in "Windowed" or "Full Screen", all sliders to the right. But I feel smoother ops in "Windowed" mode (same as "Full Screen" but with a frame & title & no Menu)

iMPORTANT: thanks to NickN XP/Windows Setup, System Optimizing and Drivers my OS system runs BETTER than Windows 7 :clap: :clap: :clap: Also did the 2004 CFG file tweak... (that NOW has disappeared from 2004 FQAS!!)

ALSO disappeared this Qestion that I am very curious about "how to decreease Sim loading time" & NEVER got any answers:
it sended me here...
...to a more colorfull SAME MENU & NO ANSWERS!! (NOT complaining, just REPORTiNG :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: )
<<q <<t
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby tbus » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:23 am

too much.png
too much.png (5.39 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
tbus
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby stent » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:56 am

Thanks to tbus and others for giving me tips on trying to get my fs 2004 century of flight working again. I have downloaded FS2004NoCD-1 as recommended and replaced the fs 9 exe with it but how do I actually start the game, I have tried but without success. stent.
stent
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Jean Loup » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:11 pm

stent wrote:Thanks to tbus and others for giving me tips on trying to get my fs 2004 century of flight working again. I have downloaded FS2004NoCD-1 as recommended and replaced the fs 9 exe with it but how do I actually start the game, I have tried but without success. stent.

You should open the FS 2004 - a Century of Flight program folders, and send an FS9.exe copy to Desktop. That is how I start my FS 2004s (I just moved the FS9.exe copy from Desktop to Quick Launch toolbar, but do that AFTER everything works).
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight