Is FS9 compatible with Windows7?

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

Is FS9 compatible with Windows7?

Postby Heinz57 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:50 pm

When FSX aooeared, I decided to stick with FS9 because I found it an excellent platform for my purposes. I created a three-screen cockpit which worked fabulously with Windows 7, but somewhere along the line the computer downloaded an update which screwed up my ability to access the program. I kept getting notices to log in as administrator, but when I tried, the program refused to open. I finally gave up and went back to XP and one screen, but I'm not about to throw away all the work I put into the cockpit. Is there a compatibility issue with FS9 and Windows 7? How do I work around this?
Heinz57
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Is FS9 compatible with Windows7?

Postby tbus » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:11 pm

Heinz57 wrote:When FSX aooeared, I decided to stick with FS9 because I found it an excellent platform for my purposes. I created a three-screen cockpit which worked fabulously with Windows 7, but somewhere along the line the computer downloaded an update which screwed up my ability to access the program. I kept getting notices to log in as administrator, but when I tried, the program refused to open. I finally gave up and went back to XP and one screen, but I'm not about to throw away all the work I put into the cockpit. Is there a compatibility issue with FS9 and Windows 7? How do I work around this?

You can do that by either rolling back the Microsoft update that caused the lockout of using Disk 4 .... but Microsoft will continue to try to download and install that update

OR

Use the No-CD option to FS9.exe .... which I believe, is available on this site. NO PROBLEMS when you use this .... EVER!

FS2004 No CD Patch (Category: FS2004 > Misc)
Zip file preview
0.22Mb (79889 downloads)
Fixes the need to have to load the CD in FS2004 every time you use it. Saves the CD and a lot of time. This is the No-CD patch for Flight Simulator 2004. Simply replace the fs9.exe file in the root folder with this one and play away! Enjoy!
Posted Jun 23, 2008 14:27 by archive
tbus
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:40 am

tbus wrote:
Heinz57 wrote:When FSX aooeared, I decided to stick with FS9 because I found it an excellent platform for my purposes. I created a three-screen cockpit which worked fabulously with Windows 7, but somewhere along the line the computer downloaded an update which screwed up my ability to access the program. I kept getting notices to log in as administrator, but when I tried, the program refused to open. I finally gave up and went back to XP and one screen, but I'm not about to throw away all the work I put into the cockpit. Is there a compatibility issue with FS9 and Windows 7? How do I work around this?

You can do that by either rolling back the Microsoft update that caused the lockout of using Disk 4 .... but Microsoft will continue to try to download and install that update

OR

Use the No-CD option to FS9.exe .... which I believe, is available on this site. NO PROBLEMS when you use this .... EVER!

FS2004 No CD Patch (Category: FS2004 > Misc)
Zip file preview
0.22Mb (79889 downloads)
Fixes the need to have to load the CD in FS2004 every time you use it. Saves the CD and a lot of time. This is the No-CD patch for Flight Simulator 2004. Simply replace the fs9.exe file in the root folder with this one and play away! Enjoy!
Posted Jun 23, 2008 14:27 by archive

The problem you are having has to do with privileges
The best way around this is to not install FS9 in the default location which is C:/ProgramFiles/Microsft Games OR C:/ProgramFiles(86)/Microsoft Games
I used Windows 8 and was able to run FS9 without having to use the no CDpatch
Starting with Windows 7 any program in the Program Files folder is protected DO NOT install any third party or non Microsoft programs inside of this folder as you will more tham likely have issues.
There are other ways around this but the best thing to do is not install programs inside of the Program File Folder
8-)
However if you switch to windows 10 you might need it I have not tried to run it without the nocd patch since the November update of windows 10 which fixed a ton of problems.
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby tbus » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:14 pm

I am to thinking after reading through MANY articles on many sites ..... that even changing privileges after the Microsoft update will not help, but then again, my memory is NOT what it used to be ...... any 5 minutes ago.
tbus
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:38 am

tbus wrote:I am to thinking after reading through MANY articles on many sites ..... that even changing privileges after the Microsoft update will not help, but then again, my memory is NOT what it used to be ...... any 5 minutes ago.

Memory!!! :think: I thought that was some social disease or something :whistle: :clap:
I ran FS9 while I was using Windows 8.1 and never had to install the noCD patch But than I had it installed on a separate hard drive that did not my my operating system on it. The advantages of building your own system. As you can see by my signature I have three hard drives two internal and one external.
8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Heinz57 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:44 am

Okay, I found the part of the site where the NoCD extract is located, copied it, and replaced the fs9.exe file, but it still didn't work. So please, color me computer illiterate and lead me through the process ONE STEP AT A TIME FROM START TO FINISH, PLEASE! I really need this help, because I must be doing something wrong. I'm going in the hospital in a few days for open-heart surgery, and if I survive the operation, I will have a lengthy rehabilitation period to look forward to, a time when Flight Simulator will come in handy. I do not look forward to using FSX, so please someone help me!
Heinz57
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Dave T » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:06 am

I will install a fresh version of fs9 on my laptop and post the steps with pictures if it will help Dave.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby Dave T » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:22 am

Install of fs9 windows 7 first of all download nocd patch http://simviation.com/1/download-file?f ... leId=35862 no cd
and the 9.1 update from Microsoft update 9.1 https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downloa ... px?id=9727

Run disk1, open disk and right click on Setup.exe and run as administrator.
click on express
insert disk2 when asked and click ok
insert disk 3 click ok
insert disk4 click ok
wait for it to compile the scenery files
click on run and the exit fs9.
With disk 4 still in the drive run fs91upd.exe
Now go to the location of fs9 on my laptop C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9 and rename the original fs9.exe to fs9orig.exe.
Last step is to drop in the fs9.exe from the nocd patch zip into the fs9 folder and see if it works.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby Dave T » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:13 am

And here is a screenshot over Seattle.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby Dave T » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:30 am

Sorry I missed out that you should create a shortcut to the desktop from the new fs9.exe to start fs9 from.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby Jean Loup » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:52 am

Dave T wrote:Install of fs9 windows 7 first of all download nocd patch http://simviation.com/1/download-file?f ... leId=35862 no cd
and the 9.1 update from Microsoft update 9.1 https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downloa ... px?id=9727

Run disk1, open disk and right click on Setup.exe and run as administrator.
click on express

That will install FS 2004 in PROGRAM FiLES, the very thing we are trying to avoid. If you want to install directly at C: (hard disc) or another location, CLiCK ON CUSTOM iNSTALL.

Me dont't have 4 discs: I have a Microsoft DVD called Software Jukebox 2.0 with asorted games & programs, among them is FS 2004 (the only one I use from the whole DVD). Sorry I did not screen printed the whole process, just this installing image (after clicking Custom install & choosing C:) in ViSTA HOME PREMiUM

<<t <<t <<t
...LiCENSE & REGiSTRATiON !!
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby ViperPilot » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:51 pm

It seems that everyone has a slightly 'different' method to the FS9 (9.1) madness... in the end, if the Sim is working fine, then keep it as is and fly!

What I've done...

Upgrade to 9.1, and the 'CD thingy'. Installed outside of Program Files. My shortcut still asks for Permission, to which I say 'yes'. Two Gauge warnings, to which I also say 'yes', then all runs fine, for hours!

I find that the three 'yes' mouse clicks take a total of one second, and do not take away from my Sim experience one bit.

Guess I'm just easy to please... :lol:

Alan :ugeek:
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Dave T » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:17 am

I have never had any problems with having FS9 or FSX in the default location. After the first time you run fs9 and accept the agreement I have never been asked again and have no problems running from the shortcut no errors. You can uncheck the read only for the complete fsx folder or just move the file you want to change to the desktop to do your modifications and replace back in its original location and its not that big of a deal. After installing fs9 in windows 7 64 bit and have no errors and it runs perfectly.
Dave T
Major
Major

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight