Wh are advantages/disadvantages of Windowed mode?

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

Wh are advantages/disadvantages of Windowed mode?

Postby Gringo6 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:50 pm

It seems like more and more we are having to use windowed mode with FS9 to overcome some problems
with Win 8.2 and Win 10.

I've never used windowed mode so need info from some who have.

Just what are the disadvantages of using window mode other than smaller image size on the screen ?
Gringo6
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Wh are advantages/disadvantages of Windowed mode?

Postby pete » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:23 am

I'm not aware of anything other than personal preference. As you know, in windowed mode you have the menu on top, but a simple Alt+Enter switches between the views.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby garymbuska » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:17 am

I have always used window mode. But like Pete said there is no real difference or advantage other than having the menu at the top in window mode.
<<u
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:24 am

Me?

I have always used "Windowed Mode" for me to instantly gain access to the "Task Bar" at the bottom of my screen whenever I wish to load up my various Maps and GPS Maps, Weather programs, Browsers, Screen savers, Pictures, etc, during my flight.

It may not be; "realistic", but it does make my use of the Flight Simulator more practical for my purposes..... :D ...!

I like to jump between different programs showing in my Windows Task Bar!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Jean Loup » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:26 pm

For me it's a matter of Screen Shooting to share some flights: :think: in Windowed Mode, I can Hide Menu Bar for remembering what Sim I was using at the time (memory DOES NOT improve with age & no GB memory cards available YET). The top space lost is minimal, my Taskbar Auto-Hides so it does not intrude my flying & screen shooting (in "P" after Language.DLL config for NO RED WARNiNGS) and I notice an increment in Frame Rate & NO stutters during long flights. :snooty:

Yes, the "improove with" in my Browser Google Search is because of my TERRiBLE english orthography :violin: :violin: :violin:
...LiCENSE & REGiSTRATiON !!
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby napamule » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:04 pm

Remember you can drag the sides of the window to make it almost full screen size. Full screen is what has to be used to record a video with FRAPS so the menu, etc don't show. Unless you have Sony vegas. If you do, then you can crop the video but that results in a smaller size video (ie: 'odd ball' size - which is not 'good'). I edit aircraft cfg and air file so that makes it easy to minimize sim (paused), do edits, then reload the ac I am working on (might happen 20 times in an hour) without doing 'Alt+Enter' to switch screen mode. And if I exit Sim while in windowed mode the next time I start sim it will start in windowed mode.

For pictures, get IrFanview. With that you can do printscreen while in windowed mode and then just cut the top & bottom off ('select area' or 'crop') to get a 'clean' pic. With IrFanview you can also resize (ie: thumbnail), make color correction (ie: too dark a pic), have multiple IrFanview sessions open (ie: cut area from one, then paste to another, etc) etc (too much to list).
Chuck B
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight