FS 2004 on Windows 7

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

FS 2004 on Windows 7

Postby investdude » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:38 pm

Recently bought an old Windows 7 computer (not connected to the internet) to run FS2004 because FS2004 does not run well for me on Windows 10. Unfortunately some aircraft do not work at all on Windows 7. I get the message "FS was unable to load some aircraft or software. You can continue using FS but this aircraft or software will be disabled."

However, in fact I cannot continue to use FS because my computer is frozen with this message showing. I have to use CFRL/ALT/DELETE to shut down FS2004 because it's still running. On the Tin Mouse II aircraft it says that this error is caused by the B732ADV.gau and on some other aircraft it is caused by the rp733.gau

Computer is Acer i7 4770 16GB 512GB SSD 1TB 1050 Ti

Would anyone still running FS2004 on Windows 7 be able to help?
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: FS 2004 on Windows 7

Postby investdude » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:58 pm

Wanted to edit this post but couldn't figure out how to do that. I wanted to add that the gauges B732ADV.gau and rp733.gau work fine on Windows XP and Windows 10.
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:43 am

investdude wrote:Wanted to edit this post but couldn't figure out how to do that.

There's a time limit on the edit feature.

I wanted to add that the gauges B732ADV.gau and rp733.gau work fine on Windows XP and Windows 10.

I'm not sure your problem is with Windows 7. Both the above gauges are connected with a module named FSSound.dll. This should be included with the aircraft. Make sure you installed FSSound.dll to the FS9\Modules folder. Then add this entry to fs9.cfg.

[OldModules]
FSSound.dll=1

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby investdude » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:59 pm

FSSound.dll is in the Modules folder and [OLDMODULES] FSSound.dll=1 is in the fs9.cfg file but I still get the same message and freeze.
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:17 am

investdude wrote:FSSound.dll is in the Modules folder and [OLDMODULES] FSSound.dll=1 is in the fs9.cfg file but I still get the same message and freeze.

Without knowing which Tinmouse aircraft/panel you're using I can't check it out for you. It's possible you have an early version of FSSound.dll which is incompatible with your gauges. You can check the version from right-click Properties. I've never had a problem with mine which is version 1.5.0.1.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby investdude » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:18 pm

The FSSound.dll file I have been using is version 1.5.0.2 I could not find version 1.5.0.1 anyware online.
The only one I could find doesn't give a version number and is much larger, 252 KB to 13KB on your version.
I tried it out but the same problem persists.

This is true for any Tinmouse aircraft using panel.B732ADV in the fsfsconv folder.
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:34 am

investdude wrote:The FSSound.dll file I have been using is version 1.5.0.2 I could not find version 1.5.0.1 anyware online.
The only one I could find doesn't give a version number and is much larger, 252 KB to 13KB on your version.
I tried it out but the same problem persists.

This is true for any Tinmouse aircraft using panel.B732ADV in the fsfsconv folder.

Right. In an attempt to figure this out I dug out my old Windows 7 laptop with FS9 on it.

I downloaded & installed the Tinmouse 737-200 package from here ---> https://simviation.com/1/search?submit= ... filename=Y

This has the panel with the B732adv.gau & I used the included FSSound.dll which is an older version than the one you're using.

Before firing up FS9 I added this entry to fs9.cfg.
[OLDMODULES]
FSSound.dll=1

I selected the B737-200 Delta from the Create a Flight menu & it loaded without any error messages so I can't duplicate your problem.
Note that the Continental & Delta textures are mixed up on this download.

I can only suppose that you're missing something. For example, it's very easy to make a simple mistake like a typo when editing CFG files. If you really wish to use this aircraft I suggest renaming or deleting fs9.cfg. A new file will be written when you next run FS9. This will return everything to default & you can start again. If that doesn't fix it I'm out of ideas.

I should add that I've never had a problem running FS9 on Windows 10.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby investdude » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:42 pm

fs9 runs okay for me on Windows 10 but it has a lot of anomalies which I can't fix, for instance the tower view doesn't work properly and the fix I have for that, which works on Windows XP, doesn't work on Windows 10. That's why I thought Windows 7 might be better.

Anyway, I renamed the fs9.cfg file and generated a new one but it made no difference. So I removed my Tinmouse II folder from fs9, downloaded the Tinmouse 737-200 package from Simviation and placed it in fs9 with the fsfsconv folder and the included FSSound.dll version 1.3.0.0

Lo and behold it worked!!! Once again Hagar has the answer!!!!
Thank you Hagar for all the trouble you went to to solve my problem, I really appreciate it.
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:44 pm

Excellent. Glad we got there in the end. 8-)

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight