anybody know if there's an add-on to make AI traffic follow published procedures?

Adding Aircraft Traffic, airport gates, etc, to your Sim - AFCAD, TTools, Project AI, AI Aircraft, etc

anybody know if there's an add-on to make AI traffic follow published procedures?

Postby ATOP » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:12 pm

I tend to fly in and out of KDCA a lot in FSX, and while I don't mind so much constantly being assigned Rwy 22, which is inactive IRL (I like the challenge of the shorter runway, and the sharper turn onto final), it irks me to see AI aircraft flying directly through prohibited airspace.  Is there some product I should know about, to fix this?
ATOP
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: anybody know if there's an add-on to make AI traffic follow published procedures?

Postby Strategic Retreat » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:48 pm

Is there some product I should know about, to fix this?

I know of two of them. One is called IVAO, and the other VATSIM. The up side it's that they both are freeware, the downside is that not always there's a complete coverage of controllers... and sometime, even with controllers, they not always make you steer away from zones that IRL are no flight allowed.

If you search absolute perfection... save some money for your very own pilot license.
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Re: anybody know if there's an add-on to make AI traffic follow published procedures?

Postby ATOP » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:54 pm

good point...I tend not to do the online simming, maybe I should give it another try.

As for the real life license, well, that's definitely a goal...but I don't think I'll be able to save quite enough to get any kind of license that'll let me fly an A320 into DCA just for fun.
ATOP
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Strategic Retreat » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:06 pm

I do not really believe that those who pilot an A320, or other kind of Big Iron, do it for fun. They MAY do it for fun TOO, but usually, when you get up there, it's a job, and you do it for the filthy money, mainly. ;D

To use a small plane, that is a flight you may do for fun. ;)

As for your problems with the sim, when you don't feel like flying online, do as I do. When you want to fly a SERIOUS flight, put the AI to zero and forget about the default ATC AT ALL. Pilot your plane like a real pilot would IRL, just discounting ATC interaction (after all, you're the only one in the WHOLE simulated WORLD who's flying). FS, sadly enough, is harshly limited on some angles, and the management of the flight from the integrated ATC it's one of its worst suits. :)

...not that at M$ they have ever thought about their lackadaisical coding efforts looking unprofessional, since they couldn't care less about ANYTHING non related to the money in their bank accounts... >:(
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby tgibson » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:09 pm

Hi,

ADE will let you create curved paths for AI aircraft to follow in VFR weather, but they are relatively simple:

1.  It must be an ILS approach, but there need not be an ILS frequency.

2.  AI aircraft will fly toward the FAF waypoint, descending to a specific altitude.  They will fly towards this way point from all headings of the compass.

3.  They will fly away from this waypoint on a specific heading.

4.  When they almost reach the extended centerline of the runway they will turn to the runway's heading and land.

5.  They will not follow any transitions, only the "basic" approach.

You must give them a shallow enough turn and the waypoint must be far enough away from the runway to allow the typical AI aircraft to perform these maneuvers.

Details here:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14074

Approach building basics:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13751
---
Tom Gibson
CalClassic Propliner Page
http://www.calclassic.com
tgibson
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby tgibson » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:11 pm

PS.  In IFR weather AI aircraft will follow the approach with the highest priority (see the Basics thread).  That approach can have a curved path as well.
---
Tom Gibson
CalClassic Propliner Page
http://www.calclassic.com
tgibson
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby ATOP » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:23 pm

@tgibson:  hmm...I don't know if I have the gumption to try to reprogram the AI traffic approaches, but that's food for thought...thanks!  There actually is an offset ILS approach to Rwy 19 at DCA, but I don't know if the spot where the FAF waypoint/turn would be is far enough from the end of the runway.  That might keep 'em out of the prohibited airspace at least...probably hard to get them to follow a river....

@ Strategic Retreat: that's exactly right!  and why I'm pretty sure I'll never fly an airliner IRL, b/c I'd only do it for fun, and I'm not exactly Warren Buffet when it comes to the wallet, if you see what I mean :D 
ATOP
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Adding Aircraft Traffic (AI) & Gates