World of AI

Adding Aircraft Traffic, airport gates, etc, to your Sim - AFCAD, TTools, Project AI, AI Aircraft, etc

Re: World of AI

Postby Andy7212 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:32 pm

I got it all figured out now.

Thanks a lot to everyone who helped out with me and putting up with my noob-ness :P
Andy7212
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Andy7212 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:48 pm

I apologize for my constant double posting, but I have another problem :(

So in my case, the first WOAI package I installed (manually) was FRONTIER. It includes an A319 aircraft. The folder name is WoA_DJC_A319_CFM. Then I install an Air Canada package which also contains a WoA_DJC_A319_CFM folder. What do I do?

I've tried only adding Air Canada textures to the original folder, as well as merging the two (some of the files have to be renamed like xyz(2)), but neither of these work.
Andy7212
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:55 pm

I apologize for my constant double posting, but I have another problem :(

No need to apologise.

So in my case, the first WOAI package I installed (manually) was FRONTIER. It includes an A319 aircraft. The folder name is WoA_DJC_A319_CFM. Then I install an Air Canada package which also contains a WoA_DJC_A319_CFM folder. What do I do?

I've tried only adding Air Canada textures to the original folder, as well as merging the two (some of the files have to be renamed like xyz(2)), but neither of these work.

Should be a case of pasting all the AI aircraft included with a package into the FSX\SimObjects\airplanes folder. Overwrite files/folders if prompted. That's what the WOAI Installer would do if you used the automatic install.

I'll download the files to check them out for you.

[glow=yellow,2,300]Edit.[/glow] OK. It seems the Installer automatically updates the Aircraft.cfg files of previously installed aircraft with any new texture variations. Unless it has problems with Windows 7 it might be easier to forget the manual install & let it extract the packages direct to FSX.
Last edited by Hagar on Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Andy7212 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:28 pm

It is different for Windows 7, because it doesn't let the program change stuff in C:\ so I am unable to use the automatic install.

Is there another possible solution?
Andy7212
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:32 am

It is different for Windows 7, because it doesn't let the program change stuff in C:\ so I am unable to use the automatic install.

Is there another possible solution?

You could possibly fool the installer by setting up a dummy install of FSX in a different location. I'll check it out when I have a moment. Otherwise you would have to manually edit Aircraft.cfg which could be difficult with so many different variations.

I understand the problem with editing files in Windows 7 is usually confined to applications in C:\Program Files which is the default location for FS. The best solution would be to install FSX to a different location like C:\FSX. Perhaps someone with Windows 7 can confirm this.
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:53 am

Right. I tried the dummy folder & it works fine. Here's what you do:

First create a new folder to use as a dummy FSX directory in any suitable location. Name it anything you wish. Mine is C:\FSX_Dummy

The WOAI installer looks for fsx.exe so find the file in the FSX root directory. Paste a copy of fsx.exe into your dummy directory.

Run the Installer & set the FSX path to your dummy directory. Click on the [..] button then navigate to the folder & select fsx.exe as in my shot below.

Now select your AI packages & extract them to this directory. When you've finished the AI aircraft should be ready to paste to your FSX. It might be an idea to copy the aircraft folders rather than move them. Leave the
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Andy7212 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:51 am

Works like a charm Hagar. Thanks so much :)
Andy7212
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:53 am

Excellent. Glad I could help. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Previous

Return to Adding Aircraft Traffic (AI) & Gates