Specific Military AI Issue

Adding Aircraft Traffic, airport gates, etc, to your Sim - AFCAD, TTools, Project AI, AI Aircraft, etc

Specific Military AI Issue

Postby SeanTK » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:32 am

Hello,

I have been trying to get the "Nancy Ochey (LFSO) AI Package" available in the following link to work, without success:
http://www.mirage4fs.com/scenery_traffic.html

It should be pretty straight forward to do, and I am familiar with manually installing AI packages, but my airbase still lacks the AI Mirages. (It's for the 2006 version of the scenery.)

Has anyone else had success getting this traffic to work?

Note: All required elements for the package are available on that website. When looking for the base aircraft file, you may have to select "View all Mirage 2000s" on that page.

Thanks for the assistance,

-Sean
SeanTK

Re: Specific Military AI Issue

Postby Hagar » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:31 am

Hi Sean. I tried it for you. Got it working after a fashion but the parked AI Mirages slowly sink below the surface when the sim loads. It's a long time since I messed around with this stuff & I don't know how to fix it.

I assume you want this for FS9?
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby SeanTK » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:19 am

Hi Hagar,

Yes, FS9.
The sinking problem was addressed in the readme with the usage of an AP###.bgl file that goes in scenery/eurw/scenery, and a flatten file that I cannot recall at this time.

I've followed all of the instructions, but for some reason the aircraft refuse to show up. The weird thing is is that the procedure is not some large, complex matter...
SeanTK

Postby Hagar » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:19 am

Hi Hagar,

Yes, FS9.
The sinking problem was addressed in the readme with the usage of an AP###.bgl file that goes in scenery/eurw/scenery, and a flatten file that I cannot recall at this time.

I've followed all of the instructions, but for some reason the aircraft refuse to show up. The weird thing is is that the procedure is not some large, complex matter...

I also followed the instructions to the letter. The new BGL file obviously didn't cure that sinking problem. Just as well I backed up the original file before trying it.
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby SeanTK » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:49 am

Looked it up, it was a replacement of the previously mentioned AP(numbers).bgl, and the addition of a "flatten" line in the scenery.cfg for the addon scenery.

I still find it interesting that you were able to get the planes to at least show up. Regarding the sinking issue, is it to the extent that it inhibits aircraft operations?

Thanks for the help. I may just give up on this one if the problems are still there.  ;)
SeanTK

Postby Hagar » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:01 am

[quote]Looked it up, it was a replacement of the previously mentioned AP(numbers).bgl, and the addition of a "flatten" line in the scenery.cfg for the addon scenery.

I still find it interesting that you were able to get the planes to at least show up. Regarding the sinking issue, is it to the extent that it inhibits aircraft operations?

Thanks for the help. I may just give up on this one if the problems are still there.
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby SeanTK » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:09 am

Well that clears some things up then, meaning the mystery still lies with the sinking issue, which will subsequently result in me removing this package from my sim!  ;)
SeanTK

Postby Hagar » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:25 am

Probably something simple. There might be a fix for it posted somewhere.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JoBee » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:39 am

I have not tried this package, but maybe I can help with the sinking AI.

This is typically a result of using an Afcad with a different airport elevation than the default airport.

While all other scenery will use the addon Afcad, AI will use the default elevation.

The simplest way to remedy this is to place a copy of the addon Afcad in Scenery\world\scenery.

This will force AI to use the new elevation.

Note that I said to place a copy of the Afcad, not move the Afcad. You need to have the Afcad in both places for this to work. This is an instance where having duplicate Afcads is OK.

I would also use caution in replacing AP9nnnn0.bgl files. They cover a wide area and can contain many airports.

Simply put, there are better ways to do things with tools available today than modify those types of files.

If you have 2 different devs modify the same file for different airports, how do you ever get them both to work?

Hope this helps.

cheers,
Joe
Don't argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
JoBee
Captain
Captain

Postby SeanTK » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:08 pm

Tried the double AFCAD trick, no difference, but upon closer inspection, I've probably been to the point Hagar is now for a while, where if the sim starts paused, for that first split second you can see the Mirages halfway in the ground. It looks like it would be a quite an interesting experience to operate from here if the darn AI would work.

Do you think putting the original AP949140.BGL back in scenery/namw/scenery might fix this since it said the replacement is to prevent floating?
(I'm an idiot and made the newbie mistake of not backing it up...hooray...)
EDIT: Nevermind, have an old FS install on a separate drive with the file, will try it, but then I'm out of ideas.
EDIT 2: Nope...perhaps changing the field elevation in the AFCAD might work?
Last edited by SeanTK on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeanTK

Postby Hagar » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:30 pm

I have not tried this package, but maybe I can help with the sinking AI.

This is typically a result of using an Afcad with a different airport elevation than the default airport.

While all other scenery will use the addon Afcad, AI will use the default elevation.

The simplest way to remedy this is to place a copy of the addon Afcad in Scenery\world\scenery.

This will force AI to use the new elevation.

Thanks for the suggestion Joe. I also tried this with no luck. Restoring the default AP949140.BGL had no effect either.

I would also use caution in replacing AP9nnnn0.bgl files. They cover a wide area and can contain many airports.

Simply put, there are better ways to do things with tools available today than modify those types of files.

If you have 2 different devs modify the same file for different airports, how do you ever get them both to work?

I agree with you about modifying default files. I never liked doing it.

Note to Sean. AP949140.BGL lives in Scenery/Eurw/Scenery.
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby SeanTK » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm

I THINK I FIGURED OUT (NOT YET FIXED) THE ISSUE.

I can't believe I didn't try this sooner. The AI model is available in the aircraft selection menu after installation under "FMAI".

...Its contact points are severely messed up......

I am almost 100% certain addressing the contact points of the model itself will fix this now.

EDIT UPDATE: Still loading the sim, but when editing the aircraft.cfg, I realized that it didn't even have a contact points section.....
Last edited by SeanTK on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeanTK

Postby Hagar » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:40 pm

[quote]I THINK I FIGURED OUT (NOT YET FIXED) THE ISSUE.

I can't believe I didn't try this sooner. The AI model is available in the aircraft selection menu after installation under "FMAI".

...Its contact points are severely messed up......

I am almost 100% certain addressing the contact points of the model itself will fix this now.

EDIT UPDATE: Still loading the sim, but when editing the aircraft.cfg, I realized that it didn't even have a contact points section.....
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Adding Aircraft Traffic (AI) & Gates