Odd: FSX Jetways and Scenery Priorities

Adding Aircraft Traffic, airport gates, etc, to your Sim - AFCAD, TTools, Project AI, AI Aircraft, etc

Odd: FSX Jetways and Scenery Priorities

Postby b108 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:48 pm

In FSX, if you look to the left of the main screen, you can see the primary options available. Settings, Free Flight, Home Page, Multiplayer, etc.

If you go to the settings tab, you can adjust things like air and sea traffic, graphics levels, and scenery. This part is on the right side.

In "Scenery," you can adjust what FSX prioritizes for scenery. For example, the default configuration makes it very rare to find an airport in the US with jetways at all. By moving the priorities and putting the 3 divisions of the U.S first (East US, West US, and Central US), FSX will produce more scenery in all of North America, and offer a more realistic and detailed flying experience. However, I've noticed an irritating occurence.

No matter how high I turn up scenery after adjusting the scenery priorities, most North American airports still are not completely filled with jetways. At Chicago O'Hare, less than every-other-gate has a jetway. It skips roughly four or five, then puts a jetway with one. Yet for some reason, Hong Kong (VHHH) has jetways at every gate. Why is this? What is happeneing? Why isn't FSX making the "full" decision to place scenery correctly? Why is it only doing it "half-way?" I put North America on the top of the list, and FSX is not showing much of an effect to that nature.

So does anybody have any ideas? Any speculations? Any solutions?!

Anything you guys can come up with is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by b108 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b108
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Odd: FSX Jetways and Scenery Priorities

Postby tgibson » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:19 pm

Hi,

One guess might be that Hong Kong is a detailed airport (?) in FSX, while most NA airports aren't?
---
Tom Gibson
CalClassic Propliner Page
http://www.calclassic.com
tgibson
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Capt.Propwash » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:51 pm

not EVERY airport in the US is "detailed", or even has jetways.

Try flying out of the following airports if you want DETAILED AIRPORTS:

KJFK
KBOS
KLGA
KATL
KLAX
KSEA
KDFW
KORD
KSFO

There is generally at least 1 in every state.  These are just a few that I could think of.   All major airline hubs in the US will be a "detailed" airport, as I am sure that either Microsoft gives money to the major airlines / airport to use their likeness or paint schemes; or it is the other way round.... the airlines/airports give money to Micro$oft to be in the simulator.
The thoughts and expressions contained in the post above are solely my own, and not necessarily those of Simviation.com, its Moderators, its Staff, its Members, or other guests. They can not, are not, and will not be held liable for any thoughts, or expre
Capt.Propwash
Major
Major

Postby b108 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:35 pm

NOTICE: I HAVE SINCE EDITED THE ORIGINAL POST. The part about O'Hare was not in there, and I made some small grammatical changes. ;)

Moving on...
But this is the problem, don't you see?

How do I make FSX put Hong Kong, and all the others, on the bottom of the "list?" I don't care about those airports; I want the most possible scenery where I ask for it, and that's obviously not happening! It seriously looks so stupid! Isn't there any way? Anything at all?! Please help!

And riddle me this: If you've seen the scenery files, you know what I'm asking when I ask:

What are all those "Base" files, in the list with the scenery location files? They start at like "Base 0001" and go all the way to somewhere like "Base 1287" or something! What are they for?

Thanks for at least giving this post a look. Keep up the investigation. I'll check back soon, and try to do a little more digging myself.

Thanks for everything so far!
Last edited by b108 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b108
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby b108 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:12 pm

This is an update. Not a double post.

I have been doing a little digging, but to me it looks like the only/best ways to change sceneries to your preferences is by finding 3rd party scenery files and putting them in addon scenery. These are really cool so far!

I don't think this is the best solution, however, because to my knowledge, there is no scenery download that makes new jetways, or puts a jetway at every gate for the airports in North America. One scenery file did this; an AFCAD for George Bush Intercontinental, and now every gate is equiped with a jetway. But is there a download that does this for other airports in a "bulk" package? Or how about a change of actual jetway style? Like actually change the way Jetways in FSX look to that of, say, prior versions of FS, for example. Is there a download that makes more realistic looking jetways?

Thanks for the help so far. (Not that there has been any additional posting, Ha Ha)
b108
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby CAFedm » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:11 pm

Well, this won't quickly fix all your airports, but can be used to work on a few of your favourites and then go from there. Using ADE (Airport Design Editor), open the deisred airport, highlight any of the parking nodes, then right click, choose "add" and then "Jetway". The item can be positioned as desired as well as the level of scenery complexity at which it displays. Save and compile and it's done.
Last edited by CAFedm on Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
CAFedm
Captain
Captain

Postby jaime » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:44 pm

can ADE be downloaded?
one of the starters of the burner pandemic
jaime
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant