GA-TRAFFIC problems

Adding Aircraft Traffic, airport gates, etc, to your Sim - AFCAD, TTools, Project AI, AI Aircraft, etc

GA-TRAFFIC problems

Postby Ken Mayes » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:02 pm

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had been able to successfully use the freeware program GA-Traffic. I downloaded it and read through the docs. It seems pretty straight forward, yet, on my old XP machine I noted that when I ran it, the resulting .bgl file it produced would 'crash' my sim after only 5 to 10 minutes of flying. I finally worked out that decompiling the .bgl and then deleting it followed by manually copying and pasting the randomly generated flight plans from the decompiled text files into another decompiled .bgl (usually generated by Ytraffic) seems to work. I recently though upgraded to a newer computer running Windows 8.1 Pro, so I thought I'd give the GA-Traffic program another shot. Again, though, the .bgl it generates tends to crash the sim after 5 or ten minutes (although not uniformly so - a couple of times it actually ran near on to an hour before crashing). Take the .bgl out, and the sim runs without crashing. Yes, I have upgraded to the 9.1 patch (I am running fs9 BTW) I have very little random add-on aircraft added but rather have installed multiple WoAI packages as well as several MAIW packages so I don't think it's a bad texture causing the runtime error. It's something in that .bgl. Any thoughts? I love the program, cause it randomizes my AI traffic quite nicely while keeping a logic to which airports certain aircraft operate out of. I just wish it was more stable.
Thank you.
Ken Mayes
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: GA-TRAFFIC problems

Postby garymbuska » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:44 am

The problem you are having has nothing to do with what operating system you are using. It is just bad or corrupt files.
The only fix here is to try to figure out what files are bad and which ones are good and try to recompile.
AI flight plans have to be in a particular order and the syntax has to be correct or they will not compile correctly if they compile at all and this causes FS to crash.
One of the biggest problem is having the correct aircraft for the flight plan the other problems has to do with departure times not put in the correct place or in the correct manner.
It has been to long since I have created flight plans so I can not remember the order or syntax they have to be in.
<<s
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Ken Mayes » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:34 pm

Hello, thanks for your reply. Yes, I know the OS isn't the culprit. I noted that it crashed on my old XP machine as well on the newer 8.1 machine. One thing, however, that I didn't mention was that when I would use the GA-Traffic program to generate the flight plans but cut the link to Traffic Tools so that it would not automatically compile, I noticed that the resulting text files generated were not as 'neat' as those generated by other programs such as Ytraffic. In the Ytraffic files for instance, the airports.txt file lists the airports in alphabetical order. Not so in GA-Traffic. That program seems to jumble everything up. The same for the Aircraft.text file. The aircraft are not listed in numerical order 1-100+ etc but rather in smaller groups such as 100-1, followed by 200-101, etc - and also in reverse order. The actual flight plans file appears to be written correctly and as I noted if I open that text file and literally copy and paste the flight plans generated one at a time and paste them into another decompiled flight plan generated by Ytraffic (and change the aircraft numbers to match the same aircraft from THAT set) the problem goes away. But that is a VERY big job. GA-Traffic generates traffic for EVERY airport in the world and I like to set traffic density from 90-95 percent so we are talking literally hundreds of thousands of flight plans. Decompiling and manually adjusting each and every one of these puppies would take FOREVER. Perhaps it simply the vast number of different AI aircraft I have installed overwhelming the GA-traffic program - it is literally hundreds of various types of aircraft. Another possibility is that I have written my own afcads for many many of the smaller airports which are not activated in the base program and GA-Traffic generates traffic for those airports as well and possibly the skies are simple becoming TOO crowded for the program to handle. Each airport seems to operate just fine by itself, but perhaps by activated dozens of previously dormant airports all within a comparitively confined space (such as the area surrounding DFW airport) leaves the program struggling to load and fly all various types of aircraft - as well as the hundred or so WoAI aircraft I've installed for the commercial airports and the MaIW aircraft I've installed for my military airports. Any way that's my two cents. I flew yesterday from Chickasha Okla to Ardmore without a crash to desktop (about an hour in a Cessna 172) so the problem isn't consistent either. It comes and goes. But I was also saving the flight after every 5 minutes as well to avoid having to start the flight all over again.
Ken Mayes
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby garymbuska » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:21 am

I would not create a lot of flight plans that use the same aircraft as you can not have the same aircraft in different places and with the number of flight plans you are creating the odds for duplicates increase drastically. Also the more AI traffic you have the slower your computer will run.
And I hope you are not using aircraft that are flyable in any of your flight plans as this will bring a system to a crawl.
I am pretty sure that somewhere in this forum you will find an example of what a flight plan should look like.
This is the most common error with flight plans. I usually download a few flight plans from world of AI and stick to airline flight plans as I know there will not be any duplicates. But every time you add a flight plan that is being used someplace else you have to make sure that the plane is not in flight at the time the other plan needs it. And do not forget time zones that is another common error people forget about. If I start a flight in a Eastern time zone say 10:00 and it is a four hour flight I can not start a flight in a Pacific time zone of 11:00 as the plane will still be in flight.
And like you said with the more plans you create the bigger the headache checking them all.
You will have less problems by limiting the number of AI flight plans you have running at any one time,
<<v
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Return to Adding Aircraft Traffic (AI) & Gates