Berlin Airlift preferably for FS2004

Scenery, Utilities, Misc... Whatever else you would like to find for your FS or CFS Programs.

Berlin Airlift preferably for FS2004

Postby wifesaysno » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:40 pm

I was thinking, it would be really nice to have a good Berlin Airlift addon for the sim. The Berlin Airlift is easily one of the most monumental flying achievements in history, as such it deserves to have representation. What I am thinking of is an addon that includes mods to the air fields used in the air lift, lots of static aircraft and lots of AI flights representing the range of aircraft used and the services participating in the airlift. Of note, even Short Sunderlands were used for the lift and even the cargo version of the Lancaster were used. Obviously the most numerous type used was the DC-4/C-54 with distant 2nd being the DC-3/C-47. I would help anyone interested in doing this project as much as I can, although my modding knowledge is limited.
I should provide a quote from one of my books to give an idea of the magnitude of this airlift: "At the peak of the airlift aircraft took off and landed at Gatow and Tempelhof airports {in Berlin} every 90 seconds, and aircraft remained on average on the ground at Berlin for 30minutes. The airlift brought in almost 1 tonne per Berliner, and continued round the clock, 7 days a week. Altogether, 1,586,530 tonnes of coal, 92,282 tonnes of fuel and 538,016 tonnes of food, a total of 2,325,809 tonnes of supplies had been airlifted in."
Any thoughts?
wifesaysno
Major
Major

Re: Berlin Airlift preferably for FS2004

Postby fbobum » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:47 pm

Only bringing this up as I didn't see it mentioned; ran across it a while back and reading this rang a bell.
fbobum
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby CTarana45 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:33 pm

There's a website called The Berlin Airlift at...
http: billvons Dot com/bal/

It covers the Berlin Airlift from the flight simulator POV. Makes for interesting reading and flying!  :)

Thanks!

CTarana45
Fezzes Are Cool!
CTarana45
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby multiprops » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:58 am

Not wanting to go off-topic here, but to everyone who admire the magnificent effort of the Berlin airlift, I would like to remember the Biafran airlift (the largest most rewarding civilian - or private if we want to call it that way) airlift of all times... And it saved around one million lives... Specially great because resulted from the joint effort of different churches, old multiprop airliners and very very adventurous airmen... (The inside joke was to call it "Jesus Christ Airlines")  :)
Superconstellations Are hot, or what? :)
multiprops
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby wifesaysno » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:22 pm

[quote]Not wanting to go off-topic here, but to everyone who admire the magnificent effort of the Berlin airlift, I would like to remember the Biafran airlift (the largest most rewarding civilian - or private if we want to call it that way) airlift of all times... And it saved around one million lives... Specially great because resulted from the joint effort of different churches, old multiprop airliners and very very adventurous airmen... (The inside joke was to call it "Jesus Christ Airlines")
wifesaysno
Major
Major

Return to Other Add-ons Wanted