how to show rudder movement in FSX

Scenery, Utilities, Misc... Whatever else you would like to find for your FS or CFS Programs.

how to show rudder movement in FSX

Postby hamadah.ali » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:02 pm

How to show rudders movement in FSX ?
I set rudders to manual and they do yaw the plane very well . But can't I see them moving like I can see the ailerons?
Do I need payware planes or add-ons ?
hamadah.ali
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: how to show rudder movement in FSX

Postby hamadah.ali » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:51 am

Ok, I figured it out , and found that rudder movement can be viewed in all of the built-in aircrafts when I manually control the rudders
I was confused because they didn't seem to move when I hit Num 0 or Num Enter but they worked when I turned Num Lock off ! ... looks stupid :oops: , but I didn't know about it before :D

now I'm facing some other problems with rudders : "knowing that I'm totally using the keyboard for controls"
1-the rudders don't self center after they deflect
2-I'm confused between (rudder trim / and yaw) , when I turn the wheel of rudder trim to any direction, rudders don't seem to move , but aircraft nose shifts to the assigned direction , and when I use keys for rudder yaw , rudders look to move and aircraft nose shifts also , but the nose doesn't deflect greatly like what happens when I use rudder trim .. can any one tell me the difference ?

Thanx..
hamadah.ali
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fozzer » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:10 am

You definitely need a "flight joystick", with twist control for the rudder, to fully control the aircraft in all its modes of flight!

"Keyboard control" is a pain in the rear end...and that includes the rudder!

Paul.... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby hamadah.ali » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:23 am

thanx Fozzer , I think there's no way out :D
But can you tell me the difference between yaw and trim :think: ?
hamadah.ali
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fozzer » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:41 am

hamadah.ali wrote:thanx Fozzer , I think there's no way out :D

Yaw is what happens when you turn the aircraft with the use of the Ailerons without using the Rudder.
The aircraft tends to crab sideways.
What you require is a Co-ordinated Turn using BOTH Ailerons AND Rudder together!

Trim is a method of manually adjusting the tabs on the Aileron and/or Rudder using the Trim Wheels in the cockpit, to reduce the pressure on the Yoke/Joystick to obtain hands-free flight.

My particular Joystick to do the job!...>>> http://www.flightstore.co.uk/flight-sim ... Avq68P8HAQ

Paul..... :mrgreen: ...!

Tip: For your first flights use the Cessna 150/152 Trainer...like most Pilots do!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:16 am

Fozzer wrote:
hamadah.ali wrote:thanx Fozzer , I think there's no way out :D

Yaw is what happens when you turn the aircraft with the use of the Ailerons without using the Rudder.
The aircraft tends to crab sideways.

Not quite correct Paul. Yaw is rotation around the vertical axis - controlled by the rudder. https://howthingsfly.si.edu/flight-dynamics/roll-pitch-and-yaw

However, I agree that a joystick with rudder control is the way to go.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:24 pm

Hello, Ali. Welcome to SimV.

It sounds as if you're just getting started with flight sims, and you're doing a good job of it too. :D

Mr Fozzer has does have a good idea there. In fact he has one every century, just like clockwork.

Do try a smaller, light aircraft to learn the basics. Even if you intend to fly nothing but the BIG birds once you learn the basics.

A small aircraft will show you what you're doing right, or wrong, almost immediately. Whereas a really large aircraft will often hide your actions.

When I started using FSX I wasn't sure that I would really like it, so I kept it very simple.

Like you I started using the keyboard. Not much fun using that.

I then bought the cheapest joystick that I could find. Or at least the cheapest one with 10 buttons on it.

If you're using the keyboard because you have a laptop, and you want to travel light, there is a small & cheap solution. You might even have one of these sitting around doing nothing.

A USB game controller. £3.47

So long as it's a USB game controller, FSX will recognize it, and you can program it to do anything that you want it to.

I'd suggest a joystick to start, but you have a lot of options.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby hamadah.ali » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:31 pm

Thanx Fozzer , great information
I agree with you that yaw happens while banking and when I bank eg. :left , I should use left rudder in the same time
and with a joystick I can do this .. I turn the joystick to left so the aircraft banks left ,in smae time I press the left rudder to yaw the nose in the same direction
But in this scenario I still can't understand the role of rudder trim and what this is in the body of the aircraft "attatched to rudders or ailerons" ? and how can I use it in the joystick and when to use
and one more question , while crosswind landing and I'm seconds from landing and the winds blew the aircraft to right , I want to align it back with crabbing and without banking , should I use rudder yaw only or rudder trim ?
By the way, nice and suitable price joystick ;)

Thanx Hagar
I think there's no contradiction between what you and Fozzer said , yaw is the nose turned right or left according to a vertical axis passing from aircrafts roof to bottom regardless the situation the plane is in ... or that's what I think :roll:

Thanx OldAirmail for motivation and for great info. too
I started playing FSX , but always with Airbus and boeing jets
I've been using Auto rudders since I started the game , but what bothers me now is crosswind landing .. I can land the plane while autorudders engaged ,but the rudders motion doesn't show up like in the real world while airplanes do crosswind landing "rudders look standstill .. this is very annoying :cry: " .. but when I use them manually , I don't now which to use : Rudder yaw which is visible motion of rudders or rudder trim which also cause yawing of the aircraft nose but doesn't do anything to rudders themselves "they stay look standstill"
and thanx a lot for these joystick , they are very cheap and really nice to start with
hamadah.ali
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fozzer » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:51 pm

Ham....

I would definitely forget all about those big aluminium passenger cigar tubes, and concentrate on the Default Cessna 172, (or a downloaded Cessna 150/152) for a long, long time, as you gradually perfect your flying skills with take-offs and landings on a small air strip!

It will take time, but you will gradually get the feel of the aircraft, and what to do!

We have all been through it!

Carefully read the Aircraft Owners Handbook to obtain all the necessary details for controlling the aircraft.

"Trim" for take-off and landing: The wheel in the Cockpit controlling the Elevators, usually marked "TO", adjust for "Take Off", which if correctly adjusted will cause the aircraft to automatically take off when its up to speed!

Alternatively, you could take the "Flying Lessons" in the introduction to FSX.

Its practice, practice....and practice...correcting mistakes each time...and its FUN!

Lots of things to learn along the way...don't rush it!

Paul.... :mrgreen:...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:11 am

hamadah.ali wrote:Thanx Hagar
I think there's no contradiction between what you and Fozzer said , yaw is the nose turned right or left according to a vertical axis passing from aircrafts roof to bottom regardless the situation the plane is in ... or that's what I think :roll:

My point was that Yaw is controlled by the rudder, NOT the ailerons.

when I use them manually , I don't now which to use : Rudder yaw which is visible motion of rudders or rudder trim which also cause yawing of the aircraft nose but doesn't do anything to rudders themselves "they stay look standstil

Using the keyboard as a controller is not very practical & Auto-rudder is definitely not realistic. In FS the movement of the control surfaces on the visual model depends on the animation & has no effect on the flight dynamics. To be honest it won't make much difference which keys you use to control the rudder as they will both have the same effect.

In real life the rudder is used during crosswind landings. Trim is normally used to set up the aircraft to fly "hands-off" at various stages of a flight. For example, elevator trim is adjusted for Take-off, Climb, Cruise, Descent & Landing. Rudder trim might be adjusted at different power settings to counteract torque (on prop aircraft) but otherwise once set it is usually left alone. The same applies to aileron trim. Many light aircraft have fixed aileron & rudder trim tabs that are only adjustable on the ground.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby hamadah.ali » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:24 pm

Thanx again Fozzer , I greatly appreciate your help , and your advice about smaller airplanes ;)
Thanx Hagar , you got directly to my point and gave the satisfactory answer to me as an FS amateur .. now I totally understand that point , thanx again for this great help :clap:
hamadah.ali
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Other Add-ons Wanted