Water-to-Fuel Gauge

Scenery, Utilities, Misc... Whatever else you would like to find for your FS or CFS Programs.

Water-to-Fuel Gauge

Postby grid4dante » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:50 pm

Hello, all. I'm new to the forum but not to Simviation in general, I get almost all of my add-ons from this website. :)

Here's my idea, a pop up gauge that detects when you are landed on water, and allows you to turn on a simulated water-to-fuel conversion system onboard the seaplane. That being said, I have no idea what is going on in modern program languages, my computer class back in high school (which was over a decade ago) had the option to start learning basic C++, but I had trouble wrapping my head around how to get it to say "hello", much less anything else.

I had an idea for two ways of doing the gauge, one that just simply allows you to add fuel if you're sitting on the water, and a more complex system that involved extra weight stations in the aircraft.cfg along with changing the weight of those stations depending on the gallons of fuel onboard, considering that water is 2 lbs heavier than Av Gas by the gallon. While I like the idea of having that extra added realism to the simulated system, I can imagine that would be a severe pain for the coding involved, if the FSX framework even allows station changing while in actual flight.

Thanks for the read and if you are a programmer and like the idea, go ahead and build it. All I ask of you is to keep it free so everyone who wants to can enjoy not having to try and find a island with a fuel depot while in the middle of the ocean.
grid4dante
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Water-to-Fuel Gauge

Postby Fozzer » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:29 pm

Water into AvGas.... :roll: ....

....now there's a magical thought!.. :think: ...!

But I know a bloke who can turn water into wine*... :dance: ....!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!

* ..apparently... ;) ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:08 pm

One of the commands in "Settings/Controls/Buttons/Keys" is; "Repair and Refuel".
Assign a key/button to that function.

Paul.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby CrashII » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:09 pm

Water to fuel gauge/miracle/thingy...

Microsoft Flight Simulator. As real as it gets... :whistle:
CrashII
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby c130lover » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:42 pm

I wish I could convert water to 100LL.
c130lover
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby PhantomTweak » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:27 pm

But I know a bloke who can turn water into wine*... ....!

Paul, I think you are old enough to have watched him take that little stroll across the pond back in the day! :lol: :lol:

...can enjoy not having to try and find a island with a fuel depot while in the middle of the ocean.

I always thought that was part and parcel of teh whole "Sim" experience, planning your flight to take into account how far you can go and where fuel may be available along the way.
Heck you can always just hit ALT>Airplane>Fuel and Payload and gas up whenever you want/need anyway, can't you?

There is also a "refueling" module you can add in, I think it's on Avsim but I've been wrong before. You can make it act like a mid-air refuel such as the modern day fighters and bombers utilize, without having to hold formation on a tanker. Or even installing an AI tanker to hold formation on, and making the whole AI filightplan for it, activating it at the right time and place etc etc.

Hope all that is really helpful!

Pat~
Have fun, fly high, far, and free!
Pat
2S7, Chiloquin OR Image
PhantomTweak
Captain
Captain

Postby grid4dante » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:10 am

In my defense, that was the second attempt at this post since I lost the first one where I explained things a little better, involving retrofitting the aircraft with piston engines consuming hydrogen instead of AvGas and an onboard converter system. The intended use was with early seaplanes, mostly as a "What if they did something like this for transoceanic flights?" scenario. Even with that said, the idea is probably one of those "one-man market" situations :lol: I think I'll go ahead and take the suggestion of the Refuel/Repair key combo and then I can just land and convert water to hydrogen gas in my head, maybe go as far as setting the time ahead a few hours to simulate the time it took for the whole process. Thanks everyone :)
grid4dante
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby grid4dante » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:46 am

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I went ahead and downloaded the file, getfuel.zip, from AvSim that PhantomTweak suggested, and it works like a charm. I'm also going to set up the key config that Fozzer/Paul recommended for my piston powered planes. Thanks again everyone <<r
grid4dante
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Other Add-ons Wanted