Any light plane that stalls and spins realistically

What aircraft have you been unable to find after a long search? There may be an answer!

Any light plane that stalls and spins realistically

Postby OwenK » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:02 am

Hi,
I've been using FSX and DCS for years. The DCS planes seem to have very realistic flight behaviour.
I prefer FSX for the scenery and the variety of planes available .The problem is I would like to have planes that fly more realistically (as the DCS planes do).
In a steep bank at low speed , a stall into a spin should result. Most FSX planes are totally unaffected by bank angle and the stall often ends up in a bizarre up and down motion.
I presume this is a failing in the actual program and not the individual planes config ? file.
I know other people have looked for the same thing but I haven't found anyone who has had success.
Is it possible to modify the aircraft cfg. file and get a decent result?
I fiddle with the cfg. file but my results are not what I want.
I have read the aircraft flight dynamics pdf on this site but it doesn't seem to provide the answer although I agree with what it does say .
If I can find a plane that actually stalls and spins correctly I can look at their config file and maybe find an answer.
Any ideas or material to read or even better an FSX plane that actually is affected by steep bank angles and can be made to stall and spin realistically would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Owen
OwenK
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Any light plane that stalls and spins realistically

Postby Shadowcaster » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:02 am

As far as I know very few aircraft will spin properly in FSX but all the RealAir stuff is supposed to be able to perform a proper spin, check out this video of the RealAir Spitfire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyB0lJvuXm4 a beautiful recreation of the Spit. I have had some success with the A2A cub which is also a lovely little plane.

HTH

Cheers
Rich
Last edited by Shadowcaster on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby FabioL » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:03 am

Hi,
The RealAir Siai Marchetti SF260 was released years ago as THE aircraft that could spin realistically, and it was well received in the market place, and deservedly so.
The sole experiences I have of spinning lie with C172 and C152 types, so my comparison with the SF260 might be regarded as limited.
However, as a flight model in general and with regard to spins, I would say that the RA SF260 absolutely hit the mark.
The only downsides are that it is by now am old product and so doesn't have the high gloss and highly textured interiors of today's models, and the horrid fact that RealAir closed their hangar doors for good.
You might be lucky in finding a DVD version on EBay or Amazon, or on some dusty shelf somewhere.
If you do, and the price is right, I'd say to you to buy it.
As for modern counterparts, A2A products would, I am sure, soon with dizzying realism, so there is a worthwhile alternative option for you.
But they won't have the Italian panache of that polished SF260, as it has been said that the SF260 looks fast even if its standing still.
Good luck!
Fabio
FabioL
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby FabioL » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:04 am

LOL Rich, we must have posted simultaneously!
FabioL
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Shadowcaster » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:07 am

FabioL wrote:LOL Rich, we must have posted simultaneously!

Great minds think alike :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby FabioL » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:32 am

Indeed they do!
FabioL
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby tjitah » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:11 pm

I used to fly a Cessna 172 and Tiger Moth in real life and while I never really did any spins in the C172, I did plenty of them in the Tiger Moth and it is exhilarating.

The freeware Ants Tiger Moth spins very well and gives almost that same sensation of being flung around. It even takes the same amount of spins to recover as the real thing. If you're looking for a GA aircraft that can spin, I recall having some luck with the Trinidad TB21 GT2 (by LionHeart).

Spinning is actually one of the first things I do when trying out a new aircraft in FSX and that tells me a lot about the quality of the aircraft's flight model. Sadly, less than 10% of the aircraft I encounter in FSX spin at all, never mind spin properly. Sometimes they spin to the one side, but not the other, other times it is more of a nose-down spiral than a spin. The developers always blame the FSX engine, but there are a handful of guys who seem to crack it.
i7-4790K @ 4.6 GHz, ASUS Maximus VII Gene, GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 2400MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Rift, Windows 7 64-bit
tjitah
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby papituwall » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:39 pm

There is a Freeware Realair Cessna 172 for FS9 that was developed for a real Flight School.

http://www.realairsimulations.com/list_box.php?page=downloads&sim=all&product=allfiltered&fileType=freeware&submit=Go

You can install this plane in FSX, but I have created a separate FSX C172 in Airplanes and added the aircraft.cfg and air files of the FS9 Realair.

There are different ways, search in google "RealAir Cessna 172 Kangan Batman".
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby Victory103 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:41 pm

The now freeware Iris T-6 Texan II will spin just fine, so I assume the also freeware PC-9 has a similar FDE. Pretty cool to apply real world upset recovery techniques in the sim and have them work. Still hard to sim the physical effects.
Victory103
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OwenK » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:25 pm

Hi,
Thanks for all the replies.
I will work my way through them and see how I go.
Does anyone know if the FSX program simulates a left wing and a right wing.
In a steep bank or turn the inside wing should stall first and I wonder if they have that in the program.
In a 60 degree bank the stall speed should be up 20 or 30 knots in a 172 but it doesn't change in the planes I've got.
I'll try the ones you recommend.
Many thanks
Owen
OwenK
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Aircraft Wanted