Macro design with FSDS 1.6

FSSC, Airport 2.*, CfgEdit, etc. Get to grips with designing Scenery & Panels here!

Macro design with FSDS 1.6

Postby Glitch » Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:00 pm

I am designing for CFS1. Using FSDS v1.6 to create a simple cube macro. I assigned a texture taken from Cfs1 texture folder, using FSDS then created the macro, saved as a .scm file.  I used FSSC to place the macro into the scenery. When I go to the sim and enter the scenery, the macro is there, but not the texture. FSSC exported the .bmp to the scenery folder but it does not show up.The .bmp is saved in standard cfs 256x256x8bit .bmp format , in the correct scenery, texture folder. But it does not show up on the Macro.

Do I need to: A- Further process .bmp to get it to work, applied to macro. Or B-Pre process in FSDS, Or C- do something else. If so, what and how? The tutorials in FSDS nor FSSC, seem to answer this question. Any help would be appreciated. Glitch
Pendercafts.com Downloads for Lost in Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Land of the Giants, addons for FS2002 and FS2004 and videos too
Glitch
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Macro design with FSDS 1.6

Postby Hagar » Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:17 pm

Glitch. FSDS1.6 will export single scenery objects in either BGL or API format. The BGLs can be directly read by FS. API macros would be imported to a scenery area with a design program like Airport or FSSC before exporting in BGL format.

I've never tried objects created with FSDS in CFS1. I have the feeling that even simple objects like a basic cube might not be compatible. You might be better off with EOD or VOD.
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Glitch » Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:56 pm

Hmmm There must be a way to do it. There is a macro for streetlights on page 2 of the macro section. That works in cfs1 and is created with FSDS. I can see if it has some clues. I had considered trying VOD also, but I know I can slave to the clock in FSDS for some animations I need for the scenery I have in mind
Pendercafts.com Downloads for Lost in Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Land of the Giants, addons for FS2002 and FS2004 and videos too
Glitch
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:09 am

If I have time I'll try it myself. If the macro displays in the sim there should not be a problem with textures providing they're properly named & in the correct format. This might depend on how they're assigned. Just a thought. Use texture file names without spaces.

I would not normally consider using FSDS for the earlier sims (either aircraft or scenery objects) as some FS2000 commands are not compatible with FS98 or CFS1. The complexity is also an issue although it might just be possible with simple objects. I vaguely remember something about a known bug with the creation of API macros which might have been addressed in FSDS1.6.
Last edited by Hagar on Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Glitch » Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:39 am

Well I did some experementing over night. I re exported cube as an .api file. applied the stock cfs .bmp and the textures showed up. But if I edit the bmp  it will not show up. Even saved as a 256x256x8bit .bmp. After  experimentation I managed to get one edited version to apply to the macro and cannot duplicate what I did. I think I converted the edited .bmp to an r8 and then converted back to bmp. But that does not work now. I think I will get the problem chased down. Just gotta remember exactly what I did. Feel free to try it. And let me know what you find. Thanks again Hagar. Glitch
Glitch
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:52 am

Hi Glitch. I tried it & much to my surprise it works perfectly so I owe you an apology. Here's a simple hut on my CFS1 test airfield.

The macro was created in FSDS1.6 in 2 parts, the base & the roof. Textures are assigned separately to each side (left, right, front & back) of the base & front, back & top of the roof. It was exported as an API macro & placed on the field using FSSC. The single 256 x 256 x 8 bit texture was created with PSP7 & displays fine.

I think your problem must lie with the way you're saving the repainted textures. Which graphics editors/utilities are you using? I find ConvR8 ideal for most work in CFS1.
Last edited by Hagar on Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Glitch » Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:53 am

Last edited by Glitch on Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glitch
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:05 pm

[quote]
Last edited by Hagar on Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Glitch » Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:06 pm

Rgr that! Worked like a charm. I created a fuselage and wing assembly and tried it on that also, to see how it would handle a more complex structure worked there too. Thanks again. If scenery works as I think it should. I will upload to simviation in a week or so.  Glitch
Last edited by Glitch on Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glitch
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:18 pm

Great stuff. Glad you fixed it. I've learned something from this too. FSDS is much easier to work with than the other macro utilties I've tried. I might even get interested in creating some of my own. ;)

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Glitch » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:17 pm

Yup that what the forums are for to learn and teach. FSDS allows many options for scenery design. Thanks again. Glitch
Glitch
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Glitch » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:18 pm

Yup that what the forums are for to learn and teach. FSDS allows many options for scenery design. Thanks again. Glitch
Glitch
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Scenery & Panel Design