Mountains look like hills

FSSC, Airport 2.*, CfgEdit, etc. Get to grips with designing Scenery & Panels here!

Mountains look like hills

Postby stephan » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:37 am

I have REX and ORBX.
I have seen YouTube videos of folks using REX or ORBX with FS9 (which I fly) and the mountains in the French Alps and around Denver look GREAT,with nice sharp peaks.
But with my set up (REX and ORBX) my mountains still look like hills.
I used my allotment for buying add ons for FS( for the next few months,and am looking for a (shame on me for asking) a freebie that will sharpen the peaks of my mountains. Any one have any advice or links ? Freebies only please.
The thing that makes my flight experience worth while is nice mountains and clouds. My clouds look great,but the mountains suck.
stephan

Re: Mountains look like hills

Postby Shadowcaster » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:23 pm

Hi A good place to start is to upgrade the terrain mesh, I found this http://simviation.com/1/fs2004terrainmesh as I don't have FS2004 I don't know if there's an all in one installer like FSGlobal.

Sorry that I can't be of more help.

Cheers
Rich

All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby stephan » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:38 pm

Shadowcaster.//
Thanks bud. ANY help or suggestion is better than none at all.
Much appreciated.
I'll see what your link has. :)
stephan

Postby stephan » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:14 pm

I downloaded the Tibet India Nepan region and flew my SU35 around the peaks a while. Sure looks a LOT better than default scenery mountains with the ORBX and terrain mesh's you suggested. Mt Everest still looks pretty odd,but it beats that overgrown dome topped hill look that one gets with the default scenery. I was hoping better for the money tho (ORBX and REX)... as far as terrain appearances . There's a link to a YouTube video someone put out that claims is from HIS add ons for FS9. It looks too much like FSX to be FS9,but I'm still learning about the great products out there. It still seems to take a pretty good system to run a lot of those add ons,but for what I have system wise,I cant gripe really.
Here's the link this guy has for YouTube. His scenery really is impressive,but what do you folks think. The way the camera moves in the cabin sure looks like FSX to me.
//
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIOtjDOj0u0
stephan

Return to Scenery & Panel Design