help needed about traffic signs and bgl. files in FSX

FSSC, Airport 2.*, CfgEdit, etc. Get to grips with designing Scenery & Panels here!

help needed about traffic signs and bgl. files in FSX

Postby snoopy51 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:29 pm

Hi, I am close to finished my first scenery to FSX with help from ADE and some freeware scenery objects, and now I want to make a sign to stay outside the gate to the airbase.
Can anyone tell me how to start on that ? or is there some tutorials to show it ?
I have been looking around and googled it "making (traffic) signs" but without luck.
Another question is, when I find some objects I want to use in my newmade scenery, I put the bgl.file in the scenery folder and textures in texture folder, but it is not always they will appear, if there are several objects in a bgl. file and I only will use a couple objects, how do I get only the few "out" of the bgl. and then save them in a new bgl in my scenery folder. I know that I can decompile the bgl file, but then it will show up in an xml file and some mdl files, and now what ?.
Or maybe I should just save the org. bgl. file in my scenery folder and forget all about edit it.
In the hope that somebody, can help here, I am looking forward to hopefully hear some solutions.
Best regards from Denmark
Snoopy51
snoopy51
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: help needed about traffic signs and bgl. files in FSX

Postby pegger » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:42 pm

You want to make a sign......
THAT IS WONDERFUL!! I have the perfect tutorial for you to follow, and if you are successful, you will no doubt start making your own 3D scenery objects.

Try this tutorial. It is a PDF so, save it to your computer for easy reference....
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fsdeveloper.com%2Fdownloads%2FBuildYourHouseForFSUsingSketchup.pdf&ei=HR6gVcygFMOWNsGBgbAP&usg=AFQjCNHfPuIgZ75hTaAJtWkf3FUwU2G2Rw&bvm=bv.96952980,bs.1,d.cWw

Now every time the tutorial says "house" replace it with the word "sign", and you are on the way to becoming a 3D scenery modeller.

With respect to the objects you are using....you don't need to decompile the bgls. Simply place the bgl's and texture files into the proper scenery and texture file for your project, and add the bgl files as object libraries in your ADE. Attempting to decompile the files is not only a big waste of time, but it is also generally frowned upon by those who took the time to make those libraries for you to use. You already know the right answer by the sounds of it...
snoopy51 wrote:Or maybe I should just save the org. bgl. file in my scenery folder and forget all about edit it.

Good luck and have fun!
pegger
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: help needed about traffic signs and bgl. files in FSX

Postby snoopy51 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:14 am

Thanks for your reply pegger,
It seems to some job to known that tutorial, but I will give it a try, my only question is, I don´t have any picture of the sign, have made the text in Adobe Photoshop for now, and will continue, when I find out how. :doh:
Are there not a shorter way just to make a sign with just some text on it ?
Can´t understand that I am the first one to need such one, if I only could find a sign and then change the text on it, but okay I better have to look closer at the tutorial, You linked to me. :think:
regards
snoopy51
snoopy51
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Scenery & Panel Design