How to open a scenery file with ADE

FSSC, Airport 2.*, CfgEdit, etc. Get to grips with designing Scenery & Panels here!

How to open a scenery file with ADE

Postby pcarvalho » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:22 am

I downloaded a scenery fle for Dubai International, but all I want from it are the terminal buildings so I can add them to my current airport. When I go to ADE and open it as "bgl" since it is a bgl file, it shows a message saying there is no airport, but there must be since there are taxiways and parking places when it is running in FSX. Is there a way I can open it?
My goal is to use the airport I already have with the terminal buildings from this new scenery. I tried placing them together at the same time in the "addon scenery"folder, but they do not work together (buildings go over parking spots, objects on runways...). Is there any way I can open this new scenery, copy the terminal building, and paste it in the ADE file i already have of my current airport?
pcarvalho
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: How to open a scenery file with ADE

Postby Capt_Cronic » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:57 pm

the scenery in question is probably just enhancements to the default airport in fsx.
the actual airport and buildings are probably in the stock fsx scenery bgl's
ASUS P8Z77-VLK, I5-3570k @ 4.4ghz, G.SKILL 16gb 1600, GTX 570 2560MB GDDR5, 2x OCZ Vertex 4 128Gb SSD SATA 3,
WD 500GB SATA 3, ASUS DRW-24B1ST SATA 3, OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular, Samsung 52" lcd, Win 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Capt_Cronic
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby pcarvalho » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:33 am

So how can I access this stock scenery?
pcarvalho
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby pegger » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:09 am

Without knowing what scenery file you are trying to take files from, i can only presume what might be happening. Sounds to me like the scenery you want to "borrow" from used the default airport layout, and only created new building objects. You could use a prigram like bglanalyze to look into the bgl files to get a better sense of what the file includes. I bet there are exclusion rectangles for default objects, and new objects over top of those.

On a side note, ensure you are not infringing on the copyrights of the scenery files creator by decompiling his/her work and creating derivative works. It may be illegal for one, and it is highly disrespectful for second, to not seek permission first from the scenery creator.

Good luck with you project
pegger
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:53 am

If you want to place various objects in the scenery, I would suggest using a program like.....

Instant Scenery 3 ...>>> http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=iscen3

I use it to construct all my own custom scenery, and also place additional objects to existing scenery.

Works like a charm!...(Similar to the old LAGO FSSE/FSE).

(Many of the Payware and Freeware scenery designers use it!)

Paul... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Scenery & Panel Design