Object placement tool

FSSC, Airport 2.*, CfgEdit, etc. Get to grips with designing Scenery & Panels here!

Object placement tool

Postby Brian Z » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:37 am

I've got FSX Deluxe with the SDK installed, but I can't seem to get the "Tools" option to appear on the menu bar. I've used ADE and I can compile airports, so that's at least sort of working. The only relevant youtube video I can find was made by a really young kid who moves along much too fast, and shows you a lot of stuff you don't need to know.
I have located the .dll file in my settings, and the disabled line reads "False", and the path line seems to be right.

So what am I missing?
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Object placement tool

Postby Brian Z » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:09 am

Ok, I gave the kid's video another try... is that thing he did with SimConnect necessary? No idea what exactly he did, because he was talking and clicking at warp speed, but later when the DOS emulator screen popped up he said something about undoing that if you don't want that to pop up. Otherwise, I've done everything else, and still no tools option.
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby CHUCK79 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:25 pm

If you've installed either or both Service Packs you'll need a different SDK. Follow the link 8-)
CHUCK79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Brian Z » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:41 pm

THANK YOU!!!!!

I must have been trying, on and off, for 2 years now. This is the first I've heard of needing a new version to go with the service packs! So now I finally have a Tools option on the menu bar. I can't make any sense of the Object Placement Tool so far, but at least it's there! I was hoping to pull stuff out of the library and add them permanently to an airport, and maybe it does work that way, when I have time later tonight I'll do some looking around to see how.
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby unclegreg » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:34 pm

Brian,
Search for making_scenery_with_object_placement_tool.zip. This will guide you through the Object Placement Tool (OPT). Pay close attention to the end as it's easy to lose your work if you compile it wrong. One tip he doesn't mention- after the sim is open to the airport of your choice, put the whole screen in window mode. Otherwise the OPT will take up the center of the screen and you can't move it. If you reduce the screen you can drag it to one side and drag the OPT to the other. The zip file is a document with pictures that illustrate how to use it. I can't remember if I found it here or at Flightsim.com or Avsim.com. I'm a big fan of the OPT but beware... it's a time sucker. Hope this helps!
unclegreg
unclegreg
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Scenery & Panel Design