The fight against genrig scenery

FSSC, Airport 2.*, CfgEdit, etc. Get to grips with designing Scenery & Panels here!

The fight against genrig scenery

Postby wolfbitt » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:03 pm

Here is the synopsis of what I have been trying to do:

I am hooked on photoreal scenery and, even at a low level of detail (LOD), it is so much more interesting and "real" than the default scenery. I have created nice areas of beautiful scenery at LOD 13, 14 and 15.

Since I don't want top fly over generic scenery between the high resolution spots I am using SBuilderX to create low resolution scenery to fly over at higher altitudes; I have done most of Europe already; it goes relatively quickly, and it is just a much more realistic environment than the patterns of the generic scenery.

There are two huge advantages of the low resolution photoreal sceneries:
1. You can cover a lot of ground with relatively small size BGL files.
2. You are not plagued with the different colors and seasons taken by satellites at different times in different seasons with different lighting which is typical of the more high resolution images.

But - alas - there's also a big downside: I cannot eliminate the donut of generic scenery that surrounds the aircraft for quite some miles and visually disrupts the "real world" with random textures, trees and buildings - see https://www.simviation.com/phpupload/upl ... 363305.jpg[/img].
I know I can resample the images to LOD 13 or higher to solve the problem, but the files size explodes which takes away advantage #1.

My question to the fountains of FSX wisdom is this: Is there ANY way short of resampling that I can do to disable the generic scenery from appearing in the neighborhood of my aircraft? I know it does that because higher LODs have priority over lower LODs. If I can't disable it I would not mind getting rid of generic altogether. It takes very little time to whip up low res photoreal wherever I want to fly.
wolfbitt
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: The fight against genrig scenery

Postby Jetranger » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:48 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong ????

but years ago when I had all that Mega Scenery junk,, on my flight sim 2002 pro,,,

I tried to disable some of that Default scenery and when I did that it would give me BLACK areas when flying over that particular area where some Default objects and scenery were supposed to be.

I would imagine Deleting / Disabling any Default scenery would throw the sim into a stooper and it would be confused as to what to load up as you fly over it, and thus give you Nasty Black Squares as you fly over those areas you have Disabled / deleted .

You'd have to try it and see if that's what occurs, if it does, go back and re-able it.

I think trying to solve your problem, might create a whole nother problem in doing so tho ??????

Trial & Error, do it and find out - Experiment !
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby mustangaroo » Fri May 09, 2014 8:38 am

I have loaded up something that over wrote my default scenery....autogen I believe and it does (at times) throw black oil spills over the terrain. I also ran into a slow loading scenery problem which turns out to be extra files in the scenery/world/scenery files.... whew! I was afraid that I would have to do a reload of fsx. Be cautious of adding stuff to your world files as it will lock up the loading process..mine would just lock up at 86 percent. :oops: :roll: :pray:
mustangaroo
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby pegger » Fri May 09, 2014 9:39 am

I thought i had a good idea but thinking it through, its not a very good solution. I was thinking you could capture high LOD imagery, resized it down, then back up to lower the resolution and thus file size, but it still remains high LOD. But then i realized you had said the higher LOD stuff was more subject to seasonal and colouring differences...

I'm at a loss for how to increase the LOD level manually without making a mdl first...

I'll think about this more when I'm at home later in front of my computer.
pegger
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby pegger » Fri May 09, 2014 11:39 am

Just thinking out loud...could you manually edit the INF file for the image before running it through resample? I don't know if that would work but might be worth a shot.

[Destination]
DestDir = "."
DestBaseFileName = "Nauru"
DestFileType = BGL
LOD = Auto (CHANGE THIS ENTRY TO LOD 16 ? )
UseSourceDimensions = 1
CompressionQuality = 85
pegger
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Scenery & Panel Design