FS9 Cloud coverage could be better.

FSSC, Airport 2.*, CfgEdit, etc. Get to grips with designing Scenery & Panels here!

FS9 Cloud coverage could be better.

Postby stephan » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:28 pm

Hey gang. Back again asking for some help.Some time ago,I saw somewhere a freeware download (I hate that word,freeware...makes me feel like a cheap skate,but,not working at this time,I gotta take what I can get) that makes the cloud coverage for FS9 better.In other words...I can set my cloud coverage in my weather settings to full coverage and my skies are covered 65% at best. When I set it for full coverage,that is what I expect.Does anyone know of a freeware addon for FS9 that gives better cloud coverage than the default FS9 full coverage? Thanks for any help in this matter.
stephan

Re: FS9 Cloud coverage could be better.

Postby stephan » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:03 pm

One added note. My FS9 is on my other computer.I dont have the net on it.I fly off the net and dont use real time,real world weather. I simply want my FS9 to display a complete cover cloud deck when I select it to be so.
stephan

Postby Fozzer » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:41 pm

Should you really be up in the sky with complete cloud cover?.... :shock: ....!

ATC wont let you take off or land.... ;) ...!

Paul...I avoid "clouds" like the Plague!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby stephan » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:33 pm

Depends on if I go IFR or VFR. I like to fly it in all kinds of weather. Sucks to set up for a thunderstorm,and the clouds look like an average summer day coverage with a few lightning strikes. I dont need a lot of lightning, (or any...as far as that goes). But,a 100% overcast day would be nice once in a while.Then,I can tone it back just a tiny bit to get a fast glimpse of the ground,which gives me a better 3d perception of my altitude. Simply something I want,whether it makes sense or not. ;)
stephan

Postby Fozzer » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:20 am

stephan wrote:Depends on if I go IFR or VFR. I like to fly it in all kinds of weather. Sucks to set up for a thunderstorm,and the clouds look like an average summer day coverage with a few lightning strikes. I dont need a lot of lightning, (or any...as far as that goes). But,a 100% overcast day would be nice once in a while.Then,I can tone it back just a tiny bit to get a fast glimpse of the ground,which gives me a better 3d perception of my altitude. Simply something I want,whether it makes sense or not. ;)

.... :D ... :D ...!

Clouds always terrify me, Stephan....in my Flight Sim and on my Motor-bike!...:o ..!

My various Flying Magazines relate horror stories of pilots caught in inclement weather, where cloud cover has completely enveloped them, and before they know where they are, they have become disorientated and; "Controlled flight into terrain (CFIT)"...>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled ... to_terrain ..... :shock: ...!
I purposely avoid clouds, if at all possible, and prefer to skirt around them in my daily VFR and IFR flights. They are mostly a source of extreme danger...and I am always surprised at some of the members dramatic screen shots showing them flying in the sort of conditions (clouds, etc) which are very like to result in their (and their passengers) discomfort, or even death, under "real" flying conditions!.... :o ...!
I prefer my clouds to be wispy Cirrus Clouds, very, very high above me, on a nice sunny day...or I stay on the ground for a while, and have a nice cup of Tea, until the bad weather has passed over!... :D ...!

Paul...skirting the Cumulonimbus! .... ;) ... ;) ...!

..... :D ....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:14 am

Until today, I've never seen this website - planesimulation

Your are VERY limited to a few clicks on the links on their webpage without being a member & logging in. They do have free clouds listed.

But here is a link to "clouds".

Good luck.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby stephan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:11 pm

Old Airmale...thanks for the link.Tho I didnt get the tweek for more cloud cover I was hoping for,I did register with the site and acquired some nice items for FS9. Thanks again.What I am really looking for is to be able to comoletely cover my skies with clouds.When I max out my cloud cover setting,it still doesnt cover my skies.When I am in the air,I want to look down and see no ground.Then,as I wish,I can back off a little if I desire to do so. Thanks.
stephan

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:04 pm

The first 5 on that site seem to be about having BETTER clouds. Not having FS9, though, I didn't check them out.

Real Edge Cloud pack 1 - Real Edge Clouds Pack 1, includes a set of 5 very realistic clouds with shading edge.

Real Edge Cloud pack 2 - Real Edge Clouds Pack 2, includes a set of 5 very realistic clouds with shading edge.

Real Sky Clouds - FS9 clouds with improved contrast and recoloured for a realistic sky-scape. Pristine high-altitude clouds, golden sunsets, clear dawns, brooding overcasts and moody thunderstorms. No framerate impact because of small texture size (86kB). Extensively tested with no apparent issues.

Cirrus Clouds - The cirrus clouds have been fixed to blend near mountain and remove the hard edge, also fix the intense hard strait cumulus bottom. This files contains good visual quality and good performance clouds performance available for FS2004.

PS Sky - A compilation of the best textures edited by several authors of all the world. The attempt is to offer a product that upgrade the realism of the sky: variations of lights and colors during day and night, clouds with glares and transparency, sun with dazzle effect, moon at high definition, real mapping of stars. Over 170+ textures have been collected to create a more realistic experience.

As best as I can tell, there isn't any free solutions to your problem in so far as FS9 is concerned.

Just to see how much is possible, you could check out the Active Sky Evolution trial. You would probably want to rig up a temporary internet access for the trial period.

The lowest cost "weather" that I saw for FS9 is AFS Design - Sky & Cloud - $12.95.

One part of the problem is the "age" of your flight sim - it was designed to push the computer of its day to the limit. Adding more would have been useless, so they didn't design the program for it.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby stephan » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:39 pm

Thanks again. I had seen the improved cloud add-ons they offered. Tho that would,in its self be a nice addition,I really do want full sky coverage. I had read it somewhere,whether in a forum or an add on about increasing the cloud coverage beyond the max given in FS9 out of the box. Wish I had kept the link,but shoulda,coulda,woulda... I cant hook my computer I fly on into the net. I have modified so many ac that I made a promise to myself out of respect for the painters and designers that I wouldnt put my modified craft on the net.I think there are also legal ramifications in that direction as well. None the less,I will continue my search. I had,in the past,run across that modification a couple times.Only time,and surfing will possibly bring it to me.Should I get lucky enough to find it again,I will leave a link to it here for others that like to fly blind,...like my steel-hearted buddy Fozzer! Hehehehe ;) Gotta love that guy! Thanks again and thanks to all who commented to my request.
stephan

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:06 pm

I understand how the standard cloud cover can underwhelm.

I know that your original request was for a free solution, but this one looks pretty good for FS9 - Flight Environment for FS9.

At $22.95 it may work for you, and it doesn't require an internet connection. It sounds like you can pick what you want, or use a randomizer to give you some novelty in your flights.
"Flight Environment adds many different selections of beautifully rendered clouds, water, and skies. There are hudreds of thousands of different combinations possible! And with the Randomizer tool, you can take off and see views that may never have been seen before in Flight Simulator."

As to the other requirement, that the cloud cover reaches more than a short distance around your plane, I couldn't find an answer to that.

But this is a picture from "Flight Environment for FS9"
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Return to Scenery & Panel Design