Digital Radio Altimeter....

FSSC, Airport 2.*, CfgEdit, etc. Get to grips with designing Scenery & Panels here!

Digital Radio Altimeter....

Postby Fozzer » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:25 am

Hello Gauge Modifier Chums!... :D ...!

One of my most useful Gauges, installed in many/most of my FS 2004 Aeroplanes, is a fantastic little digital strip radio altimeter gauge, showing height above the ground...identified as "radalt2.gau".

I have a number of Radio Altimeter Gauges, but they are all intended to just register height up to, and around, 2,000 feet AGL, wheres the radalt2 gauge indicates the height constantly, from ground level up to...outer space!

It was designed for FS '98, therefore works fine in all the Flight Sims up to, and including, FS 2004...

...but flatly refuses to be recognized in FSX!

Can any of you Gauge Experts modify it to be used in my FSX aircraft... ;) ...!

The download can be located here: "Skytruck"...>>> http://www.flightsimworld.com/downloads ... ileid=1719 and appears in the Gauge Folder under the name of "radalt2.gau" with a file size of 37KB

It is such a useful little gauge, and takes up very little room in the panel, especially for low and slow flyers, (and low and fast flyers!)!

Many thanks, Chums!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Digital Radio Altimeter....

Postby COBS » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:50 am

Hi Paul

about 4 weeks ago I uploaded an aircraft here at Simviation , link follows ;
http://simviation.com/1/preview?fileId=44724

FSX F-111 PIG HUD PROJECT-Navigation/Situation awareness cockpit.
Located at FSX - Military - currently at page 2.

This FSX panel has two digital Radio Altitude displays,
The one in the 2D pilot's cockpit reads to 999,999' , while the one in the VC reads to only 99,999' .
Following shot shows the RadAlt boxed in yellow in the 2D cockpit.

Cheers
Karol
COBS
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:36 am

Hello Karol!

Wonderful....I see that you know exactly what I am looking for, to fit into my FSX Cessna 150/152 as a warning how close I am to the ground during my regular scenery exploratory flights at (very) low level!

Installed your amazing F-111, and terrified myself trying her out!... :D ....!

(Cant find the actual "radalt gauge" though... [xxx.gau]...only a bitmap of it (xxx.bmp]....via FS Panel Studio).

Its exactly what I have been looking for, for FSX, for years now!
(My FS'98 digital radalt2.gau version only works in FS 2004, and indicates the height AGL continuously).

Never fear...onwards and upwards!

Many thanks again, Karol!

Paul.... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby COBS » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:58 am

Paul

If you open the Panel folder you will find a Folder called " FX111AP " , open that folder,
Inside you will find :-
(1) "F111_RAD_ALT" .... (xml gauge for VC cockpit)
(2) "nnF111_RAD_ALT" .... (xml gauge for 2D pilots cockpit)
(3) "F111RADALT" ..... ( background bitmap that is user in both (1) and (2) above)

If you copy all 3 of the above , then paste them into a empty folder that you create , then give your new
folder a title , for example call "RADALT' .

You can then copy your new "RADALT" folder and paste that into any panel folder of other aircraft that you may wish to
add this instrument to.

Then,
Make a entry into that aircraft's 'Panel cfg' along the following example entries :

gaugeXX=RADALT!nnF111_RAD_ALT, 667,342,84,19
or
gaugeXX=RADALT!F111_RAD_ALT, 445,5,72,16

An example of what the
gaugeXX=RADALT!nnF111_RAD_ALT, 667,342,84,19
entry means is :-
XX = is the next sequence number in the (2D or VC) panel .
RADALT = the folder title that you created (see above)
nnF111_RAD_ALT = the instrunent that you are adding,
667,342 = the x, y location that determines where on the panel the instrument will be placed,
( you will need to experiment to get your desired location).
84,19 = the x,y size of the instrument , determined your desired size.

The following describes the differences between these two instruments :

(A) " nnF111_RAD_ALT " gives a readout to 999,999' (in my opinion , is the better one)
Readout text colour,
Yellow text 0 - 250'
green text 250' and greater.

(B) " F111_RAD_ALT " only gives readout to 99,999' , text is possibly too large.
Readout text colour,
red text 0-200'
yellow text 200 -500'
green text 500' and greater.

I hope that the above information is of some use to you.

Cheers
Karol

If you have problems with the above info , please advise and I will assist or clarify details.

After a little while of flying the F-111 you will find it is easier to fly than the Cessna , I regularly fly it
at 20 - 50' AGL at 400 -500 kts weaving between trees in undulating countryside , I only fly it from
the 2D pilot's cockpit , you may have noticed that one of the 5 glareshield lights is also colour coded to
give a step altitude indication/ warning , the velocity vector in the HUD makes extreme low flight
a piece of cake.
Last edited by COBS on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
COBS
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:21 am

..instant reply...

Many thanks Karol, for the detailed reply... :dance: ..!

I will give it a try, and let you know the results!

I'm looking forward to a nice, new, digital Radio Altimeter for all my favourite aeroplanes!

Many thanks...

Paul.... The Low Level Explorer!.... :D ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:30 pm

WONDERFUL!.... :clap: ...!

After hours.... :shock: .... of testing different folder and file arrangements, (problems mainly caused by FSX being installed in Program Files, instead of the C drive, when editing with Win 7!), I finally got the digital Radio Altimeter gauge installed and working in the 2D Panel of my Cessna 152 Aerobat!....>>>> :dance: ..!

Many thanks again Karol, for all your help!

Now ready to pop it into many of my other aircraft!

An extremely useful gauge for my type of "flying"... :D ...!

Paul...and a very speedy F111..... :mrgreen: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby COBS » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:49 pm

Good , Paul , glad that you got it working to your satisfaction.

Yes , the F-111 is fast , but then you get very used to it after a while , and it's speed
allows you to explore a lot of territory and wonderful scenery , most of my flying is down low
so I actually get to see the scenery.

If you still have the F-111 loaded , try the " Mission Adaptive Flight Plan Editor " , it's in the
right hand MFD , it's neat.
Pages 25 - 30 of the Flight manual describe its operation.
You can get the Latitude Longitude of your home or any place on earth from a map or
family atlas or read it off Google Earth , then enter it into a flight plan or create a
'Direct To' (DTO) , then fly there either manually or on autopilot , it's a rather handy facility.

All the best
Karol
COBS
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby COBS » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:43 am

Hi Paul

I played around with the "radio Altitude " instrument to get it to change the text colour
for more defined altitude ranges.
In the included shot you will see at the top left a composite panel that shows the
text colours together with their individual altitude ranges.
The shot was taken at the very top of a vertical 'zoom' climb in the F-111 , as you can see
the instrument is indicating a Radio Altitude of 122,327' AGL.

Please let me know if it is of interest or use to you , if so , I will then upload it here
at Simviation.

Cheers
Karol
COBS
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:05 am

Hello Karol... :D ...!

Sounds like an excellent idea.... ;) ...!

I found the gauge a little confusing to install at first, a Folder containing a compressed XML file?, as it comes in two items:
The Bezel.
The Digital display.
Rather than one complete gauge (containing both items?).

I use FS Panel Studio, so the easiest way for me, (having figured out how to combine the two items together?), is to click on the existing gauge, copy it, and insert it into different panels, and size it, with the mouse, as required.

A really useful gauge as a warning when one is getting far too close to the ground for comfort, when flying low!

..and much more compact than the usual Analogue, Ground Proximity Warning Gauge, with its limited altitude read-out!

Maybe, for simplicity, design the gauge as single named item, in a Folder?... xxxx.gau ...(with or without a bezel) to pop into the main FSX Gauges Folder?

(I like "Simplicity")... :lol: ...!

I like the idea of the different digit colours, (the way it is displayed in my FS '98/2000/2002/2004 [radalt2.gau with just a plain black background]).

An extremely useful gauge for FSX users!

Perfect for Microlights and Flexwings!.... :dance: ...Terrifying for Parachutists and Bungee-Jumpers!... :shock: ...!!

Paul..... :mrgreen: ...!

P.S...just a thought....would it also work for FS 2004 users aircraft panels?
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby COBS » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:47 am

Paul

Yes , it will work in FS 2004 and in the Lockheed Martin Prepar 3D .
I will make another copy of it that does not require a background bitmap and up load that as well.
Have never bundled instruments into a Gau package but will give it a try.

I will keep the instrument title along the lines of :-
nnF111_RAD_ALT
where the "nn" part will be the only difference , that means that you only have to change
those two letters in your panel cfg to use different versions of the instrument.
It might take up to a week to appear in the Simviation site , presumeably FSX - Panels section.

A few years ago I did a Altimeter pressure datum instrument for a guy in Africa as his default Cessna 172
only had Inches (29.92) and they use Hectopascals (1013) , it's a simple instrument , I will include that as well
as I never got around to uploading it to date.

You mentioned the Aerobat 152 , quite few years ago I did a couple of hours (RW) flying in one with a
guy I know , we did 'IFR recovery from unusual attitudes' , it was awesome , I couldn't believe what the instruments
were telling me , ocassionally I would take the hood off and look outside , sure enough they were right ,
I had the biggest smile imagineable , I walked away with a lot of respect for what that little aircraft with
it's low powered engine was capable of , it was absolute fun doing Aero's in it.

As for Parachutists and Bungee-Jumpers .. well .. I'll leave it to them !

Cheers
Karol
COBS
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:44 am

I love my little Cessna Aerobats...

The 150 with the Continental engine, and the 152 with the Lycoming engine.

They are my favourite little Flight Sim tourers, since my trial flights in the local club's Cessna 152!

It will get you out of trouble every time...the perfect Flight Trainer!

My Cessna 150/152 Panel with the Radio Altimeter fitted...>>> Image

Everything...including the Kitchen Sink!

Paul....Have 152. Will travel... :mrgreen:

...and the default Trike with the Radio Altimeter fitted.....EXTREMELY useful!...>>> Image
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby COBS » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:00 am

Very nice panel setup.
Will configure several instruments to give you a choice to select from that hopefully
complements your panel.

Cheers
Karol
COBS
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby COBS » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:17 am

I couldn't resist playing with the 'Radio Altitude ' instrument.

I created a unit that initially (default) shows the colour coded Radio Altitude , then by clicking on it
will display the nearest airport that is closest to your aircraft complete with it's Name , Distance ,
and heading to make good that airport .
Another click displays that airport's longest runway length , and runway headings for both ends
to facilitate a possible landing if required.
The last click is for a blank display which is similar to an Off switch.
See shot below.

So very often both Ultralights and GA aircraft are overlooked when it comes to instruments with
interesting and useful capabilities , this one might be of use to some.

This instrument will be included with others in the upload here at Simviation.

Cheers
Karol
COBS
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:33 am

Its looking more wonderful every time I log-on Karol!... :D ...!

Its one of those.."really handy" gauges, to have on ones instrument panel!... :dance:...!

Looking forward to the final download!

Paul....keeping a wary eye on AGL... :mrgreen: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Gringo6 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:05 am

Hello Chum: Here in the Snow & Ice I'm reading your post and have a comment. I used to fly helicopters some
and we had a gauge called RADIOALT AIRSPEED. It was a combination digital radio altimeter (good up to 500 feet
as I recall) and digital airspeed. I can look it up if you're still in the market.
Gringo6
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Scenery & Panel Design