Scenery Install Question ??? Help ??

FSSC, Airport 2.*, CfgEdit, etc. Get to grips with designing Scenery & Panels here!

Scenery Install Question ??? Help ??

Postby Jetranger » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:40 pm

I'm going to Attempt to Install this great FREEWARE Add On scenery into FSX Gold/ Acceleration later on this evening.

BUT ~ before I do,,, I think I need some Clarification on an Issue 1st !!

I say the instructions are Wrong for installing or how to go about installing the scenery in the FSX sim, for the designer say, and it may NOT be what he means or meant or not the best way to explain what he means,,,

BUT, he's saying to go ahead and "DELETE" the Scenery & Texture folders Already in the Add On Scenery location to install his Scenery, just let his over write.

Whoaaaaa, stop right there !!!!

1st of All,,, I already have quite a few files already installed in those Scenery & Texture folders, within the Add On folder,,,

IF I just let his over-write what I have already installed there,,(many other files for other scenery), then in essence,,, wouldn't I and other users be "Losing" Important files for our other Sceneries, Freeware or Payware ????

I'm NOT going to follow those instructions, can tell ya that much.

Below is a short Quote of the instructions :

**** " I. Place the "Scenery" and "Texture" folders from this download, into the "Addon Scenery"

folder located in the main Flight Simulator X folder. Replacing the "Scenery" and "Texture"

already there." / end Quote.

Guys, am I wrong,, If a user deleted those other folders or let this install "overwrite" those other folders, would you lose what you have already in there , for other sceneries a user has ?????

I think its a typo mistake or maybe not very good at explaining or understanding,,, how add on scenery works.

I'm Jetranger, who's the Crazy Maniac with over 5,000 Aircraft in my Simulator, and all kinds of Freeware and Payware scenery installed.

So,, I kinda think maybe,,, sometimes I know what i'm doin,,,, not always , but sometimes !

Please respond !

Heres the Link from another web site, and I have EMailed the Creator of the scenery, am waiting a response .

Plymouth Scenery link :
New Plymouth Airport Scenery NZNP/NPL for FSX
New Zealand

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fsview.ph ... 507&idx=21
Jetranger
Major
Major

Re: Scenery Install Question ??? Help ??

Postby Hagar » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:55 pm

Everyone has different ideas on installing addons. Overwriting folders as described in option I of the instructions will not delete the existing contents of the folders. It might however replace files with the same file names.

I always install scenery to the Addon Scenery directory in its own parent folder with scenery & texture sub-folders - similar to option II in the instructions but using the Addon Scenery directory instead of the FSX main Scenery directory.

II. Create a folder in the main Flight Simula tor X Addon Scenery folder (e.g. New Plymouth Scenery).

Place the "Scenery" and "Texture" folders from the download into this folder. Use the "Scenery Library"

setting in FSX to add that folder as a dedicated scenery area.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Jetranger » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:55 pm

UPDATE:

I just finished installing NZNP Plymouth Airport, all I can say,, is grab it, its awsum he did a Great Job on it, everything as far as I can tell,, even the inside of the terminal is well rendered !!

on a scale of 1 to 10, i'd rank this one up the at 10, 10 being good of course !

its for FSX.

I ended up creating my own Plymouth NZNP Folder and transferring the contents inside of it, and copying it to the Add On Scenery folder with in FSX, and using the Add Scenery library within FSX for the install,,,

then I put the Effects files & folders within the Effects section of FSX, worked like it was supposed to.

Great FREEWARE Scenery for FSX, Grab it !!!

I'll post some screen shots and a video link later.

Jet
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:28 am

Also, I did NOT know, that a user could actually name a FOLDER any name they want, and transfer it into the Add On' scenery Folder in FSX.

I was under the assumption, that however it came thru the download, it had to stay that way to be read properly.

I was just goofing around and thought I'd try an Experiment, and Name the New Downloaded Scenery Folder, what ever I wanted

I changed the name of the Scenery Folder I download and it still worked, the scenery showed up.

So from now on I will be naming all my Add On' Scenery Folders with the Airport Name and the ICAO code.

for instance : (example)

Honolulu Airport PHNL

Majuro Atoll PKMJ

Kansas City KMCI

Seattle KSEA

Then if theres a problem or I think I might already have that scenery installed or want to have another Developers Scenery for that particular Airport, I can easily look and investigate if there is in Fact already some add on scenery already there before attempting to install , another designer / creators scenery.

Works for me in FSX anyway.

Keep the Folder names Simple and organized !

anybody else do this or knew about this ???

Well Dumb me didn't , but, I do now ! :) :)

<<v
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:18 am

Jetranger wrote:Also, I did NOT know, that a user could actually name a FOLDER any name they want, and transfer it into the Add On' scenery Folder in FSX.

Perhaps I should have pointed this out earlier. To clarify:

This applies to all versions of FS/CFS. The parent folder of 3rd party scenery can be named with any suitable name. It can be activated via the Scenery Library from any location on your PC, even a separate hard drive - providing you know where to find it. The FSX Addon Scenery directory is the most convenient location to keep all your 3rd party scenery.
Note: If you wish to change the folder names of already activated scenery areas remove them from the Scenery Library first, then reactivate them.

Then if theres a problem or I think I might already have that scenery installed or want to have another Developers Scenery for that particular Airport, I can easily look and investigate if there is in Fact already some add on scenery already there before attempting to install , another designer / creators scenery.

Works for me in FSX anyway.

Keep the Folder names Simple and organized !

anybody else do this or knew about this ???

Well Dumb me didn't , but, I do now ! :) :)

<<v

This is the reason I advise installing each new scenery area separately & activating it via the Scenery Library.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Scenery & Panel Design