Crosswind Runways

FSSC, Airport 2.*, CfgEdit, etc. Get to grips with designing Scenery & Panels here!

Crosswind Runways

Postby Russell Irwin » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:44 pm

Here's my conundrum:

I've been flying into San Antonio Int'l (SAT, KSAT) for some time now. The only problem is that whenever I fly in, I'm vectored for the RW 22 (previously 21) visual approach. This is extremely unrealistic, especially during this time of the year, because all traffic lands on 12L/12R due to weather patterns. It's also annoying because my FPS are far worse on the R22 visual. The BGL file for SAT was originally made by Ray Smith, but I've made several modifications. So what I need to know is: how can I adjust the BGL file so that ATC always vectors me to R12 unless weather necessitates the R4 and/or R30 approach?
Russell Irwin
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Crosswind Runways

Postby Webb » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:12 pm

I don't know how to adjust the BGL file but it sounds like you should adjust your weather instead. Change the wind direction to 300° and ATC should send you to RWY12.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Russell Irwin » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:40 pm

Update: I've noticed that when I approach from the west, I'm routed to 12R. It's only when I approach from the east that I'm vectored to 22.

In real life, all traffic is vectored to 12R. And real pilots don't change the weather just to land on a certain runway; as a sim pilot, I don't think I should, either.
Russell Irwin
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Webb » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:22 pm

At most real life airports traffic is vectored according to wind direction. Everything takes off into the wind and therefore everything that lands has to land into the wind.

12 and 22 are perpendicular runways. You are being vectored according to wind direction. If real life always directs traffic to 12R what purpose does runway 22 serve?

You complained that real pilots don't change the weather but you want ATC to always direct you to a specific runway regardless of other conditions. This is illogical.

But since I don't know how to edit your BGL file to do this I will excuse myself from further comment.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Russell Irwin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:25 am

Runway 22 exists because it is the opposite of runway 4, which is used when the wind is blowing in from the north (late fall and early spring).
Russell Irwin
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Scenery & Panel Design