adding modern radios to old aircraft

FSSC, Airport 2.*, CfgEdit, etc. Get to grips with designing Scenery & Panels here!

adding modern radios to old aircraft

Postby Brian Z » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:57 pm

I like flying some of the old prop aircraft, like the DC-3, Milton Shupe's Beech 18, and some others. Most of the classic models have original-equipment radio gear, and I'd like to substitute a modern radio stack. There's a number of these planes still around, and whatever upgrades they've gotten, you know they aren't still messing around with ancient tube radios. The stack from the default Baron would work for me-- especially with the full-function autopilot. Can someone walk me through how to swap that panel in, and make it work right?
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: adding modern radios to old aircraft

Postby Fozzer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:35 am

Its something I do regularly, with knowledge of the layout of the .aircraft and .panel files, and a copy of "FS Panel Studio".

I use the default full Bendix-king Radio Stack for simplicity...(copied from the default Beech Baron 58 files)

You will also need the various modern VOR/NDB/HI/HSI, etc, etc, gauges to work with the Radio.

It would take a long walk-through to describe the method in detail, but a knowledge of the layout of the .aircraft and .panel files is a good start.

Positioning all the gauges, etc, using X.Y.xx.yy. coordinates is time consuming. That's where FS Panel Studio comes in handy...just select-drag-and-drop!

Paul...FS 2004.... :D ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Brian Z » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:01 pm

Was hoping it was a bit simpler than that... can't just copy over the stack pop-up panel as is? I think I'd also need to add a gps/nav toggle somewhere too, for some planes. Know of anywhere I might find a walk-through already posted somewhere?
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:00 pm

Brian Z wrote:Was hoping it was a bit simpler than that... can't just copy over the stack pop-up panel as is?

That's the way I would do it. If you use the radio stack window from one of the default aircraft it should be simple enough.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Scenery & Panel Design