New to repainting

A great entry on the design ladder, repainting can be rewarding & fun! Learn how here! (Not for repaint requests)

New to repainting

Postby rvtmendoza » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:41 am

I am new to repainting and I wanted to try it because I think its fan and I have fspassengers which allows me to have my own airline which gives me an idea to make my own livery.

I have read quite a few topics here about how to repaint aircrafts but I cant understand some of the steps. The first one is how do I create layers so that the line and other details on the aircraft does not dissappear?

Another question is if the aircrafts that I downloaded here in Simviation is allowed to be repainted? Or do I need to ask the permission of the original maker for that?

And, do I need to download repaint kits for a specific aircraft or can I just paint over the textures of other

Thanks for the kind people who will try to help me on advance and happy simming
rvtmendoza
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: New to repainting

Postby patchz » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:33 pm

I am new to repainting and I wanted to try it because I think its fan and I have fspassengers which allows me to have my own airline which gives me an idea to make my own livery.

I have read quite a few topics here about how to repaint aircrafts but I cant understand some of the steps. The first one is how do I create layers so that the line and other details on the aircraft does not dissappear?

Another question is if the aircrafts that I downloaded here in Simviation is allowed to be repainted? Or do I need to ask the permission of the original maker for that?

And, do I need to download repaint kits for a specific aircraft or can I just paint over the textures of other

Thanks for the kind people who will try to help me on advance and happy simming

1. Depends on the program you are using. All paint programs do not have layer capability. Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro do, and there is one freeware one but I'm not familiar with it

and don't remember which one it is.

2. Most allow repaints, some do not. If not, they will usually tell you in the readme file that comes with the download.

3. You can paint over an existing scheme, but to avoid losing the original, make a new folder and name it something different, like texture.N1234 for example, then copy all the files in the

existing texture except for the thumbnail and paste into your new folder.

You will also need to download DXTBmp if you don't already have it. Get it here.
If God intended aircraft engines to have horizontally opposed engines, Pratt and Whitney would have made them that way.
patchz
Colonel
Colonel

Postby rvtmendoza » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:46 pm

Oops, forgot to tell that I am using Photoshop CS5 and sometimes PSP. I have already Dxtbmp.
What do you usually do to preserve the details on aircraft? A step-by-step guide would be much appreciated because I dont know quite a lot about picture editing
rvtmendoza
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby rvtmendoza » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:54 am

I manage to make the rivets and lines show up through the paint. Took me a few hours to figure that one out.

I have another question though. I want to repaint the a319 with air berlin livery to another one. Do I need to make it all white or can I just paint over it with a new layer?
rvtmendoza
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby patchz » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:07 pm

I manage to make the rivets and lines show up through the paint. Took me a few hours to figure that one out.

I have another question though. I want to repaint the a319 with air berlin livery to another one. Do I need to make it all white or can I just paint over it with a new layer?

When using an existing paint theme, you need to create a new layer and place your text/registration etc. in the proper places. Then go to the base layer and change the existing colors to white,

while leaving the rivets and lines. Sometimes this can be quite difficult and it might be easier to create another new layer between the base and your text layer. Then duplicate the rivets and lines.

Time consuming but without a paint kit, often necessary. Once that is done, you can paint over the base layer completely. Then create another new layer just above the base layer or just above the

rivet layer and set it for multiply. Use the select tool to outline an area you want to color and use the fill tool to add your color. You can do the entire theme on this layer or use multiple layers. But,

if you want to vary the layer opacity to control the hue/shade, you will have to limit it to one layer. Hope this helps.
If God intended aircraft engines to have horizontally opposed engines, Pratt and Whitney would have made them that way.
patchz
Colonel
Colonel

Postby rvtmendoza » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:35 am

Thank you patchz

When I was trying to repaint the fuselage, I notice that the color has varying darkness. What is that for? Another one is that there is a shadow of the wings to the fuselage, do I need to keep it or will the shadow work on the game even if I paint over it?
rvtmendoza
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby patchz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:40 am

Thank you patchz

When I was trying to repaint the fuselage, I notice that the color has varying darkness. What is that for? Another one is that there is a shadow of the wings to the fuselage, do I need to keep it or will the shadow work on the game even if I paint over it?

Usually, the varying darkness is for dirt/oil/fuel etc. Yes, you need to keep the shadow, I don't think the sim will show it if you paint over it.
patchz
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Ralphc » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:33 am

Hi Patchz..
I'm on a learning curve with re-painting too...this interested me;
" while leaving the rivets and lines. Sometimes this can be quite difficult and it might be easier to create another new layer between the base and your text layer. Then duplicate the rivets and lines"

How do you duplicate the rivets and lines please without getting the whole individual panel? In fact this whole business of "inserting layers" confuses me.  :-[ I'm using (well trying to) GIMP if it's any help.
Thanks for your time, you make a good contribution to this Forum.
Best Wishes
Ralphc
FSX Deluxe SP1 & SP2 - Windows XP Professional - 2.99 GB RAM - Pentium E6500 - 2.93 GHz - - Intel (R) G41 Express Chipset. 0 - FOXCONN GeFORCE SERIES- NVIDIA GE Force 8600 GTS- Bass Fishing and of course Simming
Ralphc
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Brian Z » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:58 am

[quote]How do you duplicate the rivets and lines please without getting the whole individual panel? In fact this whole business of "inserting layers" confuses me.
Last edited by Brian Z on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby FoMoCo63 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:06 pm

The varying darkness could be dirt and etc. but if you paint over those areas that should do away with those areas. Unless it was also painted into the Alpha Channel.

To me it would be the alpha channel and the 256 shades of gray that effect the results of the finished paint when viewed. The shadows. Along with the degree angle that was set in the ambient light factor which usually has a range from 0 to 90 degrees, will also give the appearance of a darker bottom with a lighter top, nothing that I am aware of can do away with this, as sunlight is always on top of the object and not underneath.

The Alpha Channel works like sunlight on the aircraft texture, it will either absorb or reflect the artifical light that is produced within FSX depending on the shade(s) used on the Alpha Channel. I have seen Alpha Channels that range from just a solid of gray or White, to actual images of the texture file itself with all different shades of gray. Whatever is done on the Alpha Channel will show and be a part of the finished product when the aircraft is viewed in FSX.
Last edited by FoMoCo63 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FoMoCo63
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Ralphc » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:53 am

Hi...
Thanks very much for the replies.  :) and taking the time to do so.Yep, all makes sense (now I've printed it and re-read it  ;) ) Really very helpful, I'll give it a try later to see if I can get it to work. BTW, I'm using GIMP. I actually sometimes forget how important the movement of the layers is....So..just keep the relevant one on top.  [smiley=dankk2.gif]
Best Wishes
Ralphc
FSX Deluxe SP1 & SP2 - Windows XP Professional - 2.99 GB RAM - Pentium E6500 - 2.93 GHz - - Intel (R) G41 Express Chipset. 0 - FOXCONN GeFORCE SERIES- NVIDIA GE Force 8600 GTS- Bass Fishing and of course Simming
Ralphc
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Aircraft Repainting