Can Someone help explain repainting?

A great entry on the design ladder, repainting can be rewarding & fun! Learn how here! (Not for repaint requests)

Re: Can Someone help explain repainting?

Postby Brian Z » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:32 pm

I'm clicking "save" in DXT Bmp, not changing anything in the options, "ok" for the warning that the file already exists, overwrite? 

Also, I don't think SP2 ever installed correctly, could that be it?  It says it's installed, but I can never find the check box for DX10 preview.  I've uninstalled and re-installed sp2, but same thing. 
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:44 am

I'm clicking "save" in DXT Bmp, not changing anything in the options, "ok" for the warning that the file already exists, overwrite?

I suspect that Gimp is the cause of the problem here. If I recall correctly the Save procedure in Gimp is different from other graphics editors.
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Brian Z » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:18 am

Oh, so THAT'S why I can never find that checkbox!  I'm sure my problem isn't with Gimp... I know about the special save format, to send the texture back to DXT Bmp I export it as a .bmp.  When I click "refresh after edit" I can see the changes I made, which wouldn't happen if it were in .xcf format... dxtbmp wouldn't be able to use it at all.  Same thing happens with the Abacus package, the xcf format won't show up on it, bmp does no problem. 

What I meant by saving and not changing anything in the box... that's when I'm looking at dxtbmp, with my changes showing.  Here, this is the first repaint I really consider finished, I've got a few others that still need something but I can't decide what.  This was done with the combination of Abacus and Gimp.  Image
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:19 am

OK. I've installed Gimp to check this out. The problem is with the File > Export feature in Gimp. After clicking the Export button click Compatibility Options & check the
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Brian Z » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:24 am

Hm, older pic of the same project, the finished version looks a bit better... anyway, Abacus needs the texture "exported" as a bmp, the same way dxtbmp does.
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Brian Z » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:26 am

Ok, I'll go try it.
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Brian Z » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:48 am

Yes!  Thank you, that did it. 

There's a guy in my VA who uses DXTBmp and Gimp together, but unfortunately he's only been on sporadically the last few weeks.  If he'd been around he would've probably had the answer off the top of his head.
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:32 am

Well done! I knew we would get there in the end. :)

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Seat_of_my_pants » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:32 pm

Hagar....you just answered a question I was going to post about bmp and dds in reply #6. Did you know you're awesome??....thanks man. Thanks very very much   :)
The guy behind this displayname is not a pilot but has flown small craft like Cessnas and Pipers and is truly addicted to being airborne...he's not sure if the stage or the pilot seat is more fun, so he'll try and keep getting to both.
Seat_of_my_pants
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby jon157uk » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:38 pm

I've just got a copy of FSPaint but I'm losing all the detailing on the aircraft when I paint them, how do I stop that from happening please?

Jon T.
jon157uk
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Brian Z » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:19 pm

Are you using the built-in editor?  The transparency factor in that doesn't actually make colors transparent, it modifies the alpha channel (if you have the alpha unlocked) instead.  I use an external editor (Gimp) instead, it does WAY more stuff than the built-in one does.  Also, as long as you leave the specular .dds texture alone, all those panels and such aren't as gone as you think. 
  One more thing... in your main FSX folder, go under Textures and backup anything named "test" and "chrome".  FSRepaint opens the chrome texture, I don't know why you'd want to mess with it, and sometimes saves it incorrectly when you're done, so that all chrome turns black.
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Aircraft Repainting