DDS 888-8 vs DXT3 vs DXT 5 -- Consensus?

A great entry on the design ladder, repainting can be rewarding & fun! Learn how here! (Not for repaint requests)

DDS 888-8 vs DXT3 vs DXT 5 -- Consensus?

Postby Jason Terry » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:39 am

Hi all. I'm just wondering what people's opinions are overall of the different formats of DDS textures - I've downloaded planes with all different types.

Personally, I prefer DDS 888-8 as their crisper than the others and there's no compression.

What are the benefits of DXT3 or DXT5? Is it worth them getting all wonky in the compression?

I don't see any reason to use them, I'm wondering if I'm missing something... :-/

Opinions?
Jason Terry
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: DDS 888-8 vs DXT3 vs DXT 5 -- Consensus?

Postby garryrussell » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:32 am

I don't know about DDS but the following is what I find with BMP and in theory it should apply

The DXT compression gives a much smaller files, DXT3 is a quarter of the size.

This makes drawing faster and increases FPS, or so it is supposed to.

I have done experiments and I can't see an FPS difference so maybe not an issue on more modern systems.
Last edited by garryrussell on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
garryrussell
Captain
Captain

Re: DDS 888-8 vs DXT3 vs DXT 5 -- Consensus?

Postby Jason Terry » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:43 pm

Agreed. Same on my end with the DXT3 not loading any quicker, and 888-8 just plain looking better... perhaps on my old comp it would have made a difference. I used to notice a difference between DDS and BMP on the old machine though.

DDS loading quicker every time. Maybe my imagination?

Backward compatibility aside...I don't understand why more people don't use DDS in general for fsx.
Jason Terry
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Aircraft Repainting