Chrome spinners turn black or wrong color?

A great entry on the design ladder, repainting can be rewarding & fun! Learn how here! (Not for repaint requests)

Chrome spinners turn black or wrong color?

Postby HSUred » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:42 pm

Has anyone else encountered this? After repainting a Cessna 172 the chrome spinners turned either black or ridiculously shiny white? Another thing is that it somehow did this to other Cessna 172 textures that I did not repaint.

I was using FS-Repaint, if that is any help.

Thanks anyone who can tell me what is up with that! :(
HSUred
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Chrome spinners turn black or wrong color?

Postby skoker » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:43 pm

Try resaving them in .dds format with this.
Last edited by pete on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
skoker
Major
Major

Postby HSUred » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:26 pm

Thanks Skoker. I found the answer in a discussion between Hannibal and Alrot here:

http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb25/Ya ... 1339135652

It seems the default textures "GlobalEnv_AC_ Chrome" and "GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome_32" had been inadvertently modified by someone else. Apparently I downloaded those textures into my FSX without knowing it.

Big thanks to Hannibal and Alrot; this solved the problem for me. :)
HSUred
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Travis » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:38 pm

Just so you know, HSUred, it's always a good idea to go through a download and check it's contents.  I have had to reinstall the entire program from scratch (and all addons) just to correct a problem I couldn't track down.  And if it's an auto-installer, just point it to some temp folder for installation, and then copy things manually.  And if you run into a situation where you don't know what a particular file is used for, the forums are always here. ;)
Travis
Major
Major

Postby HSUred » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:06 pm

Excellent advice!
HSUred
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Brian Z » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:37 pm

Sorry to be resurrecting an old thread, but I've found the same problem.  Turns out, it is, indeed, Abacus doing this... it opens the chrome dds file whenever you open the textures for an aircraft, and when you save, it apparently doesn't save that texture properly.  What I DO like about the Abacus program is the 3d preview model, so whenever I save a repaint, I overwrite the chrome and test dds files with a backup copy.
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Brian Z » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:41 pm

And speaking of chrome, does anyone know how to apply chrome to an area where it didn't have it already?  I'd like to plate things like exhaust pipes, if I could figure out how.  I know it can be done, I've seen repaints that chrome-plated entire aircraft.
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby stephan » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:39 pm

Brian Z... I asked the same question about chroming ac and was informed that the data is held in the mdl file.I then got a second opinion/answer from the AC designer himself,and he too said it was in the mdl file.
stephan

Postby Jetranger » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:14 am

OK, I had that problem once bout' a year ago,,,,

lost all my Chrome everything,,believe it was due to a download from somewhere is what I traced it to, somebody not aware of how it works and the download had badd files in it.

I now check often in my FSX CFG File to make sure the enteries are there.

These are very important for your Chrome & reflection anything, from chrome spinners to shine on any type of aluminum or glass anything that's CHROME or glass.

without those entries, you could end up with everything either turning Black or White !!!

it not always the Aircraft files fault !!

somebody else made me aware of this, is how I found the problem.

I'd copy this File and keep it in a safe place as a reference, so you can gander at yours, to make sure you have those entries and that they match !

See photo below !!

once I got it fixed,, everything worked perfectly again, I have't had anymore problems, BUT I now check every single file download and Inject everything manually before anything ever goes into my Simulator !

I don't particular care to go thru that again, it wasn't easy finding the problem, quite time consuming and I could of done without the Hassle !!!

I no longer TRUST just anything that's up on the net to download anymore, rather its aircraft or scenery whatever, too many mistakes being made either cause they don't know or ain't paying attention !

I'd start here 1st, and look at your FSX Cfg files, then go from here , hopefully this solves your problem, ???

Jetranger.

Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Brian Z » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:58 am

In my case, it's Abacus messing those files up, because it happens every time I save a repaint, and ONLY happens when I save a repaint. I bet what is happening is that Abacus is saving in DXT5, and the chrome file isn't supposed to be DXT5.
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jetranger » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:18 pm

The other thing could be, is the "Alpha Channel" associated with it.

you'll have to Inspect that file closely,,, where the Chrome Spinners are, and see if their painted Black ????

sometimes an object is painted Black, then has an Alpha Applied to it, so it'll turn to Chrome in the Simulator.

in that case, try using DXT BITMAP program to redo the texture and apply the proper Alpha to the file.

bout' all I can suggest, if that's even the problem ??????
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Brian Z » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:30 pm

Well, whatever exactly is happening, I have a backup copy of the chrome textures, and overwriting with it always fixes the problem. It's not limited to the plane that was repainted, whenever I save a repaint for a model that uses the global chrome texture, all chrome on all planes goes black. Couldn't tell you how many times I've saved, opened FSX, and... crap, the King Air that I have as my default plane has its spinners in black! Close FSX, overwrite the global chrome texture again, open FSX... that's better.

And if you've had this happen to you, I found a replacement chrome texture somewhere, pretty sure it was flightsim.com. It has a new image that seems a little shinier, and also includes the original image.
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Aircraft Repainting