repaint finished, or almost... but now how do I...

A great entry on the design ladder, repainting can be rewarding & fun! Learn how here! (Not for repaint requests)

repaint finished, or almost... but now how do I...

Postby Brian Z » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:01 am

OK, I started out using Abacus FS Repaint, but I found the built-in editor to be total kludge... and I don't even know jack about image editing.
Last edited by Brian Z on Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: repaint finished, or almost... but now how do I...

Postby Brian Z » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:12 am

What I've tried so far...

Copied the .bmp file into the texture folder that Abacus made, renaming it the same name as the original .dds file, and even deleted the original .dds file.  It still loads in FSX as the original plain white.  Opening it again in Abacus still shows it as plain white also. 

Even if it means ditching Abacus altogether, what do I do to get my repaint to work?
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jetranger » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:27 am

Go and download this Program (Freeware), you'll have to google it.

"DXT Bitmap" file converter

Then you'll be able to convert all kinds of files and work with them and convert them back to whatever.

Don't forget that with DDS files, their usually flipped upside down and Mirrored.

Also,, I use Paint Shop Pro #9 to do most of my Painting and sometimes Texture work.

You can also use Photo Shop if you choose to.

Another Handy Freeware program you need is PAINT.NET 

with Paint.Net, you can also take images and paste them right onto the aircraft, with just a tad bit of editing beforehand,,, as far as the image your wanting to paste, suit it to your liking 1st.

YOU TUBE has some great Painting Help tutorials on painting Flight Sim Aircraft too !

Thats how I learned by watching the video's then trying it on an Aircraft I really didn't care if I messed up or not,,

so try all those programs I listed above, give er' a go, and practice a few times learn the program, itself and what all they can do, and can't do - have paintence , a lot of it,, do just minor changes at 1st to get the hand of it,,, in time you'll get better !!  8-)

Paint.Net

DXT BIT Map file converter

Paint Shop Pro

Photo Shop 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVcGUFPfsF0

Just some Video , but it gives you a general idea, look for other videos too !

Jetranger  :)
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Brian Z » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:39 am

"DXT Bitmap", thanks... GIMP is proving to be a great editor, it's just not fully compatible with the abacus package, so once the texture has been edited with GIMP, abacus can't do the conversion back.  One thing the Abacus editor IS good for, the live preview model makes it easy to find and identify the parts of the texture, drag a bright green rectangle around and when that stupid little antenna you couldn't find lights up, you found it.
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Brian Z » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:43 pm

Ugh, it STILL loads as the original plain white aircraft.  What am I missing?

Converted the extended .bmp to .dds DXT 5
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Brian Z » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:52 pm

OK, what I think I'll do is start over, using the same steps as the British guy in the video.  My repaint wasn't all that complicated after all.
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jetranger » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:38 pm

So have you got the DXT Bit Map Converter yet ??

I really want you to get that and learn how it works,, it can make manuiplating your files easier for you !

Also, when you get it, sometimes the 32bit 8-888 file can sometimes display the file,  in the BITMAP format,, providing the other files are of BITMAP too !

Tho if you study other download of Aircraft files - you'll sometimes see on occasion both DDS & Bitmap files with the same aircraft, sometimes , not all the time tho.

I studied all kinds of other Aircraft files, to get the hang of it, with that DXT BITMAP Converter you can click on the file and open it to see what texture format it is,,, just to get educated as to how others have set it up and how its used and on what files.

Some are DXT3 or DDS, theres like 11 different types of DDS files to choose from,,, mostly for FSX tho in that format.

but you'll need that DXT Bitmap converter to see all that,,, 

lets us know how your coming,,,

send sum photos !

and remember be paietent,, takes time to learn all that stuff - rome wasn't built over night and neither was a Boeing or Lockheed or Beechcraft !!  ;D  :o 

Jetranger
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Brian Z » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:45 pm

Yup, got DXT Bitmap, in fact at the moment I've re-done the paint job from scratch and I'm about to watch the video over to make sure I'm saving the same way shown in the video.  The repaint went much faster this time, because most of the time spent the first time around was spent on the learning curve for using GIMP.
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Brian Z » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:38 pm

GAHHHHH... GIMP does its own thing when it saves files, and apparently no other program on earth can see any changes it's made.  Gonna have to try something else!
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Brian Z » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:00 pm

OK, now I'm stumped.  Trying Paint.Net, the same program the guy in the video used, but when "I" save, then go back to DXTBmp and "reload after editing", there's still no change.  What am I missing?
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jetranger » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:11 pm

Ummm are you saving the file as what ???
when in Paint.Net ?

Also, wanna make really sure, ( its happened to me) that somehow the file "NAME" didn't get changed somehow, or when you go to put it back in the Aircraft - it won't read and NOT show up !  :o

Also what Aircraft are you painting ???

Jetranger. :o
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Brian Z » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:13 pm

Well, I watched the video again, and the updated one that links.  When he saves, then goes back to DXTBmp... that's not what happens for me.  There's no change at all when I "Reload after editing."
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Brian Z » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:15 pm

I'm repainting the default King Air.
Last edited by Brian Z on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Brian Z » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:34 pm

Strange, tried one more time, just a quick colored circle to see if it works... and this time it worked.  The only explanation I can think of is that this time, I didn't flip the image vertically... I flipped it before, and I don't think I flipped it back again.  GIMP still doesn't seem to work with DXTBmp though.
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Brian Z » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:50 pm

YAY!  Got GIMP to work with DXTBmp... you have to "export" rather than just hit save, so you can make it a .bmp instead of a .xcf, which apparently DXTBmp doesn't know what to do with.  Hopefully I'll get a screenshot up tomorrow!
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to Aircraft Repainting