Muse Air Liveries: Can Existing Textures Be Modified?

A great entry on the design ladder, repainting can be rewarding & fun! Learn how here! (Not for repaint requests)

Muse Air Liveries: Can Existing Textures Be Modified?

Postby airlineguy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:31 pm

I use a couple of Muse Air MD80 textures in FSX. Here's an example of one:

But the livery isn't quite accurate. The glareshield on real Muse Air jets was brown (as were the door outlines and even the pilot uniforms) and it wrapped around the upper 'eyebrow' windows to give kind of a "mask" effect:

And to be especially picky, the planes weren't white but a light ivory or light cream color.

So...

1. Is this something I can fix with appropriate software like PS or Pixia by modifying my existing textures?

2. Is it bad form to modify others' textures?

3. Are any of the painters who did Muse Air liveries on this board and if so, would they consider fixing these issues and making the corrected liveries available?

Thanks for any insight.
Last edited by airlineguy on Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
airlineguy
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Muse Air Liveries: Can Existing Textures Be Modified?

Postby Felix/FFDS » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:22 am

1. Is this something I can fix with appropriate software like PS or Pixia by modifying my existing textures?

Basically, yes.  You are not wanting to create a complete new scheme, but rather, modify existing colors slightly.  You will need to take into consideration the basic format of your textures and convert them appropriately to your paint program and back, but it shouldn't be a major problem.

2. Is it bad form to modify others' textures?

2.a  YES, especially if you're going to upload and claim them as your own, or even upload them with proper credit.  If this is from a payware/commercial aircraft, you'd have to check to see if the particular developer(s) have a "no repaint"  policy - or that all repaints go through "their"  quality check.  Some freeware developers also have a distinct preference that repaints be not uploaded, etc.   If you intend to upload your modified textures (textures ONLY, uploading the complete model is not a good idea), it would be very good form to contact the developer/original painter for permission.

2.b  No.  It is not bad form at all, especially if it's for your own use and it's not going to be spread around.  Posting screenshots of your creation is okay.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Muse Air Liveries: Can Existing Textures Be Modified?

Postby Club508 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:54 pm

On the note of Felix's 2b, it should be pretty easy for you to do, as I'm sorry, I doubt any painter is going to do that for you.
Last edited by Club508 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Club508
Major
Major

Return to Aircraft Repainting