symmetry

A great entry on the design ladder, repainting can be rewarding & fun! Learn how here! (Not for repaint requests)

symmetry

Postby c130lover » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:25 pm

After years and years of flying on fsx, I decided to start doing repaints. I am curious if theres any method for making the paint symetrical on both sides, or if you just estimate?
c130lover
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: symmetry

Postby ArcticFox » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:36 pm

I have a method, imagine I'm painting the starboard side of a delta a330 in photoshop

First off ofcourse I make a layer for that blue underside it has and use some sort of blend on it.
When I'm happy with that I take a tiny slice out of a nearby component from the main template. I usually invert that slice and set it to 40% transparency.
Then I duplicate the color layer for the starboard side. I select both the duplicate layer and the slice and simply move them up to the port side until the slice I copied aligns. I delete that slice and I am left with a color layer that matches the position of the starboard side.

Usually I use things like a door-corner to align since it's the same on both sides.

Other times I use the model grid if the paint-kit supplies it and align according to the 3d models lines.
[ASUS P8H67]- [Intel core5 2500k]- [4gb Corsair DDR] - [Asus 560ti]
ArcticFox
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Club508 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:36 pm

I just tend to find something on one of the default paints like a stripe or a line of bolts, screws, nuts, etc. and just count up and/or down from all the sections like that the same amount.
Club508
Major
Major

Postby garryrussell » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:30 pm

The second side is simply a copy of the first side placed into position which should be easy enough
Last edited by garryrussell on Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garryrussell
Captain
Captain

Postby J2Summit » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:04 pm

A more vague answer for you since there are some "interesting" aspects to some models. If all else fails create a TEMP layer in your paint file. I have such a layer in all of my paints. I lay down grid lines, notes, registration marks, etc - anything to help myself that doesn't end up in the final paint. It's my playground layer.
J2Summit
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Aircraft Repainting