Adding bump maps

A great entry on the design ladder, repainting can be rewarding & fun! Learn how here! (Not for repaint requests)

Adding bump maps

Postby J2Summit » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:19 pm

While I am not new to complicated repaints, I have not worked with bump maps. My question is this: is it the 3D model or the file type that determines whether bump maps can be used?
I am working with an A2A WoP2 aircraft that currently has no bump maps. It does, however, use DDS files. My guess is that the capability to use bump maps is built into the model, but if it is the file type, then I will go to town on creating extra files for my textures using the DDS file format.

Thank you for any help,
John
J2Summit
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Adding bump maps

Postby JoBee » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:44 pm

If the model doesn't call for the textures, they won't be used.

That being said, it is possible the developer has allowed for the use of bumpmaps, without actually supplying them.

You can look at the .mdl file with a hex editor, or even Notepad, and see the names of the textures the model uses.

cheers,
Joe
Don't argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
JoBee
Captain
Captain

Re: Adding bump maps

Postby J2Summit » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:48 pm

Big thanks Joe! A2A did post an update years ago for the P-51, but still no bump maps. I'll have a look-see.
J2Summit
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Aircraft Repainting