My real First try...

A great entry on the design ladder, repainting can be rewarding & fun! Learn how here! (Not for repaint requests)

Re: My real First try...

Postby Capt.Propwash » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:53 pm

Bleeding.

if i did choose to pick up this project again, and it all on 1 layer.  Would Bleeding such as this even matter being that it would just bleed over to the other side of the craft that would end up being red anyways???
The thoughts and expressions contained in the post above are solely my own, and not necessarily those of Simviation.com, its Moderators, its Staff, its Members, or other guests. They can not, are not, and will not be held liable for any thoughts, or expre
Capt.Propwash
Major
Major

Postby garryrussell » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:24 am

it only matters if it runs into an area that should be a different colour.

It doesn't matter if it looks untidy as long as it's doing the job

Sometimes, instead of going straight into the job, it's worth making copy and just do a few quick experiments to get a feel of such things before you co onto the job proper and start worrying about things like retaining details.
garryrussell
Captain
Captain

Postby jon157uk » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:59 pm

I can see Propwash's point of view entirely here, I've been trying my first re-paint on the C-172 for quite a few days now and even after reading several articles about how to do it there are still a lot of things that are not clear so in my opinion 'the in-depth tutorials' are not as 'in-depth' as they maybe should have been.
I've had a go at multiple layers and a single layer but still can't seem to achieve anything worth a damn, there isn't any guide as to where different parts of the aircraft meet up in a lot of cases.... i.e. - if I wanted to add stripes along the fuselage it's all trial and error trying to get them to join at the right point once FS has joined the two parts back together again.
As for multi-layers, is there a guide anywhere that explains how to use these? I've painted hundreds of cars for the race sim 'Rfactor' using many multi-layers and every single one has worked out fine but for some reason the layers I'm using for FS just end up a big blurry mess once I've flatted them down.... I'm with you Propwash, I'm seriously thinking of giving it a miss....haha!
jon157uk
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby garryrussell » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:42 pm

Joining up maps for fuse etc is always a trial and error affair

Ther is nothing a guide can tell you as it's different on individual models

The layer flattening problem..why do you flatten??

I always leave my layered doc intact just saving a copy as a BMP and then it will be fine. The BMP of course is non layed but the flatten function I have never used as it serves no puropse.

There is no difference in the car painting than FS painting
The only thing I can think of is saving the extended BMP with the mips box checked.
garryrussell
Captain
Captain

Postby jon157uk » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:49 pm

Joining up maps for fuse etc is always a trial and error affair

Ther is nothing a guide can tell you as it's different on individual models

The layer flattening problem..why do you flatten??

I always leave my layered doc intact just saving a copy as a BMP and then it will be fine. The BMP of course is non layed but the flatten function I have never used as it serves no puropse.

There is no difference in the car painting than FS painting
The only thing I can think of is saving the extended BMP with the mips box checked.

Garry, the big difference between Rfactor cars and FS aircraft is that when you open up car texture/skins, they are already layered into each individual part of the car that is 'paintable'. Once you've finished your painting you have to flatten all layers and save as a .dds to put it in to the sim. It's pretty easy once you've done a couple so I was hoping FS painting would be the same.
Last edited by jon157uk on Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jon157uk
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby garryrussell » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:58 pm

If you have .psd's or simlar for aircraft they are already layered.

The layered docs exist just the some Paint kits don't supply them.

Thers is no difference in the way they are made to the car ones you sedscribe, just perhaps how they are suppled to painters.

All textures will have been created as layered documents, you couldn't make them from scratch otherwise.
garryrussell
Captain
Captain

Postby jon157uk » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:40 pm

If you have .psd's or simlar for aircraft they are already layered.

The layered docs exist just the some Paint kits don't supply them.

Thers is no difference in the way they are made to the car ones you sedscribe, just perhaps how they are suppled to painters.

All textures will have been created as layered documents, you couldn't make them from scratch otherwise.

I've tried several different ways of doing this now and everything I try ends up with the same result..... Not a bad paint job but no aircraft detail what so ever. I.E. - all rivets, flaps, rudder, doors etc, etc have disappeared under the paint and this is happening no matter how many layers I use. The finished plane ends up looking like a kid's painting of one because all the detail is missing.
jon157uk
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby garryrussell » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:21 pm

How does the detail get under the paint.?

The paint should be under the detail
garryrussell
Captain
Captain

Postby Shavron117 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:32 pm

Nice start! So how did you learn this? Is there a manual somewhere? Curious myself.
Shavron117
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby jon157uk » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:52 am

How does the detail get under the paint.?

The paint should be under the detail

Yes I know that Garry but that's the bit that I can't seem to make happen. No matter what order or how many layers I use I always end up with either paint and no detail or just the standard texture again.
jon157uk
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby garryrussell » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:38 am

What programme are you using

Have you tried saving to BMP without flattening the image

It makes no sense..it should stay in the order you put the layers in else there's no point.
garryrussell
Captain
Captain

Postby jon157uk » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:02 am

What programme are you using

Have you tried saving to BMP without flattening the image

It makes no sense..it should stay in the order you put the layers in else there's no point.

Yes mate, I've tried saving in all sorts of manner and formats but always end up with one or the other result, which is like I explained before, the aircraft ends up being the same colour as it was before I started or I get the paint job with no aircraft detail. I've been using Photoshop up to now because I'm not familiar with how to work layers in Corel Paintshop. The procedure I've been using is pretty much the same as I've used on the car templates that I mentioned earlier but the end result is just not working out. If I get time later on I'll try posting up some screen shots of the stages I'm going through.
Last edited by jon157uk on Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
jon157uk
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JoBee » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:54 am

What layer blending options are you using?

If your layers are all set to normal then you might as well use MSPaint.

Google can be your friend here, look for some Photoshop tutorials, there are tons of them out there.

One specific site that has some good tutes is- http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/

To produce quality repaints you first have to be proficient with the editing program you use.

Once you master layers and the pen tool the world is your repainting oyster and you will only be limited by texture mapping.

Here is another good tute- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwHkzVsz ... r_embedded

cheers,
Joe
Don't argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
JoBee
Captain
Captain

Postby jon157uk » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:13 pm

If your layers are all set to normal then you might as well use MSPaint.

Google can be your friend here, look for some Photoshop tutorials, there are tons of them out there.

One specific site that has some good tutes is- http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/

To produce quality repaints you first have to be proficient with the editing program you use.

Once you master layers and the pen tool the world is your repainting oyster and you will only be limited by texture mapping.

Here is another good tute- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwHkzVsz ... r_embedded

cheers,
Joe

I seem to be repeating myself a few times here,                "Yes mate, I've tried saving in all sorts of manner and formats."

'Normally' I'm perfectly capable of working in Photoshop or Corel Paintshop and as I've also mentioned before, I've done countless skins for cars, trucks, trains and even Ka-50's for Black Shark but for some reason I haven't put my finger on yet these planes for FS are proving a right pain! Thanks JoBee.
jon157uk
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JoBee » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:53 pm

... "Yes mate, I've tried saving in all sorts of manner and formats."

All due respect, layer blending options have nothing to do with "saving".

cheers,
Joe
Don't argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
JoBee
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft Repainting