Question about texture formats using FS Repainter

A great entry on the design ladder, repainting can be rewarding & fun! Learn how here! (Not for repaint requests)

Question about texture formats using FS Repainter

Postby Jaypee Dippel » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:57 pm

This is for anyone who is familiar with Abacus FS Repaint program.                                                                         I just purchased FS Repaint V2. I understand that DXT3 and other formats (except 32bit) are extracted to be viewed and painted, Then compressed into a space saving file. I also know that the images may deteriorate when extracted and compressed and it is best to convert texture files to 32 bit untill the painting is complete.
FS Repaint mentions nothing about this. When a aircraft is selected it displays thumbnails of all the texture files. Am I deteriorating my texture files simply by viewing the the thumbnails? Also I've found nothing regarding mip maps. How do you save your work with of without mip maps?
Any help would be greatly apreciated.
Jaypee Dippel
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Question about texture formats using FS Repainter

Postby Hagar » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:43 am

[quote]This is for anyone who is familiar with Abacus FS Repaint program.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Question about texture formats using FS Repainter

Postby Jaypee Dippel » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:12 pm

Thanks for the reply, Hagar. I think for now to be on the safe side I'll convert my textures to 32bit before I begin a project. I can allways convert them back to DXT3 when Im finished. The FS Repaint program seems to be a great time saver, I intend to use it a lot.
Jaypee Dippel
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Aircraft Repainting