Unable to view .bmp files

A great entry on the design ladder, repainting can be rewarding & fun! Learn how here! (Not for repaint requests)

Unable to view .bmp files

Postby Holmes_Fans » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:38 pm

What am I doing wrong here? I was gonna use the default 747 repaint kit that you can get off the simviation downloads, but whenever I try to open the files in photoshop they will not open. Won't open in paint either and I can preview them from the file explorer. I'm very good on photoshop, so I just need to get the dang thing working so I can get to work. Any suggestions? I have tried other planes as well and another 737 kit I found. No luck.

I figure it's something common. Photoshop CS2, windows XP, fs2004.
Last edited by Holmes_Fans on Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holmes_Fans
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Unable to view .bmp files

Postby Hagar » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:21 pm

Depends on the image format of these repaint kits. DXTBmp will open all MSFS texture formats. http://www.btinternet.com/~mnwright/programs/dxtbmp.htm

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Unable to view .bmp files

Postby patchz » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:26 pm

Hagar is correct. Use DXTBmp to open the image and send it your editor, in this case, Photoshop. When you want to stop working, save it to a different location

(create a folder for such projects) and save it as a .psd. Now you can work on it whenever you choose directly from Photoshop. It is also best to use multiple layers.

When you think it is finished, open it with DXTBmp instead of Photoshop and save it to the texture folder as a DXT5 .bmp. The advantage of working on it in

stages by opening it as a .psd in Photoshop, is you have less loss of quality than going through DXTBmp as a .bmp every time.
Last edited by patchz on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If God intended aircraft engines to have horizontally opposed engines, Pratt and Whitney would have made them that way.
patchz
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Aircraft Repainting