Inspection panels and covers

A great entry on the design ladder, repainting can be rewarding & fun! Learn how here! (Not for repaint requests)

Inspection panels and covers

Postby Dickert » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:50 pm

Texturing?
How do I get my inspection panels and covers to look more realistic?  I am doing the texture mapping on my aircraft using layers to make the various paint jobs.  My top layer is the panels and screws.  I can
Dickert
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Inspection panels and covers

Postby garryrussell » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:56 am

It looks like you need to reduce the opacity

I make all mine solid black and have a opacity of about 6-8 percent for the lines and 12-20 for the screws/rivets the exact amount depends on the background colour.

You can always make a copy, invert it so it's sold white displace that by one pixel to the left and one up, merge that solid white to the solid black then reduce the opacity as that can give a slight 3D effect at time and help show something where the base colour is darker.

Garry
Last edited by garryrussell on Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
garryrussell
Captain
Captain

Postby J2Summit » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:41 am

Try creating actual panels on a new layer instead of drawing them out with lines. In PSP I create panels with anti-laised edges, put a slight bevel on them for 3D effect, and then do a drop shadow under them with a blur of 5. Then I set that shadow to about 50% opacity. Details of this process all depend on what type of panel it is, but that's about my usual routine. Hope that helps.
John
J2Summit
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby J2Summit » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:46 am

Best shot I have on hand to show you. The panel with all the holes in it and the 2 on the belly were made using my method described above. Same with the wingroot fairing if you can see it.
J2Summit
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Aircraft Repainting