Newbie Aircraft Repaint Software

A great entry on the design ladder, repainting can be rewarding & fun! Learn how here! (Not for repaint requests)

Newbie Aircraft Repaint Software

Postby tomahawk » Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:21 am

I've had Microsoft  Flight Sim 2002 for a while now and am interested in doing some paint jobs for my aircraft.

I'm wondering what is the best software for a newbie to use.

Thanks  :)  , Tomahawk
tomahawk
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Newbie Aircraft Repaint Software

Postby Hoot » Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:04 pm

There isn't one. Paint programs come in two flavors: too simplistic or too advanced. MS Paint works fine, but don't expect to do lavish work with it; it doesn't have the proper tools. Learning Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro takes time, and money. But you can create nearly anything using either one. Start out with MS paint to get an idea about how the whole process works. When you're ready, blow some dough and get either Photoshop ($400) or PSP ($100). Paint Shop Pro offers a free trial download (www.jasc.com) so you can get an idea of how the program works. Beware: Photoshop 7 and PSP 8 are highly taxing on any computer.

Have Fun!

-----------------
Hoot
Hoot
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby tomahawk » Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:34 am

Thanks for the infomation Hoot.

Tomahawk :)
tomahawk
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:35 am

Hoot. Thanks again for the valuable tips. I would like to point out at least 2 alternatives to expensive graphics editors. Pixia posted here on SimV & PhotoPlus5.5 are both free full programs with all the features you need. PhotoPlus5.5 has a similar UI to Paint Shop Pro.

Pixia. http://www.simviation.com/fsdesign_utilities.htm
PhotoPlus5.5 http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/serif/ph/ph5/index.asp?

Tomahawk. All you need to do is find a graphics editor that suits you & figure out how to use it properly. Patience & constant practice is the only way. A little flair & talent comes in handy as not everyone (including me) will ever be any good at repainting.

You will almost certainly need MW's DXTBmp. Latest version here. http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/index.htm
Last edited by Hagar on Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby tomahawk » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:01 am

Thanks Hagar for the useful advice, I'm shore that i will find some software that will suit me the best.

Thanks for the links to Paint Shop and Pixia, I'll go and have a look at the stright away.

Tomahawk  :) ;D
tomahawk
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Aircraft Repainting