Newbie questions

A great entry on the design ladder, repainting can be rewarding & fun! Learn how here! (Not for repaint requests)

Newbie questions

Postby BDS » Sat May 31, 2003 8:30 pm

I was thinking about taking on some repainting to get the idea of how it works. I am just going by what I've picked up by skimming around.

So I picked a plane in my inventory, backed up the files, then opened up paintshop pro 7.0. I assumed I could just open up the texture file for the plane I wanted to repaint and go to work.

The problem I found is that when I try to open the bitmaps it gives me a "file can not be opened due to disk error" message. I know there is no disk error because it works fine in FS2k2, so whats the deal?

Can anyone set me up with a site that might break it all down to me step by step? is there something Im missing?

TIA

Sean.
BDS
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Newbie questions

Postby Hagar » Sat May 31, 2003 11:53 pm

First you will need DXTBmp. Get the latest version here.
http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/index.htm
Read the instructions + DXTBmp Help & set it up to work in conjunction with PSP. I can recommend this tute. http://www.gjsmith.com/Tutorial/Tutorial.htm

Good luck.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby BDS » Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:11 am

Thanks Hagar. I found problem # 1 - I am using Photoshop 7.0- not Paintshop Pro 5.0 like I thought. Its really limiting what I can do w/ that tutorial - which is great btw. So - now to get PSP and get back to it later.

Thanks again.
Sean.
BDS
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:18 am

Hi Sean. Photoshop is ideal for repainting. In fact, some people say it's the best. There should be no need to get PSP just for the sake of it. The tute should give you an idea of how it's done. The tools might have different names but the
Last edited by Hagar on Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Aircraft Repainting