Proper Etiquette

A great entry on the design ladder, repainting can be rewarding & fun! Learn how here! (Not for repaint requests)

Proper Etiquette

Postby New Light » Tue May 09, 2017 3:20 pm

Hey boys & girls!

Still a newbie! I have some repaints that I'd like to share, but I've come to understand that there might be more than giving credit to the designer/developer to stay out of any legal trouble when uploading a file. Do I, or should I send my new texture to the designer/dev for their review? Do I send them the my whole package that I hope to upload? Or, do I just ask permission? Do I need to copy write my stuff?

I don't want to step on any toes, but I don't want to get stepped on either. Thanks for any insight and advice.

Dave
New Light
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Proper Etiquette

Postby pete » Wed May 10, 2017 3:38 am

Hi Dave,

I deal with repaints and uploads every day. In 10's 1000's of uploads and many years -- I can count on 1 hand the number of times there has been a problem.

Freeware aircraft - OK to upload either textures or whole aircraft. If you are in doubt you can always contact the original designers, which is often not really possible. In almost all cases they will give you the OK and be pleased that someone has done another repaint.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Proper Etiquette

Postby New Light » Wed May 10, 2017 2:27 pm

Excellent! Thank you very much Pete! I got a bit concerned when reading some of the legal language and permission requests in the "read me's". when opening some of the paint kits. I'll get back to painting!

Many Thanks again!

Dave
New Light
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Aircraft Repainting