Too much reflection

A great entry on the design ladder, repainting can be rewarding & fun! Learn how here! (Not for repaint requests)

Too much reflection

Postby slimcooper2002 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:50 pm

Hi,
I hope this is the correct forum for this. I've just started trying to repaint aircraft but I've run into a little bump in the road. Five out of seven aircraft have turned out ok, but two of them have too much reflection in them (like a chrome or mirror finish). I'm using DXTBmp and Photoshop CS2. On this a/c (the "cathaypacifictoml1011"), I copied the "texture.Catha folder" and renamed it "texture" and altered the aircraft.cfg file.
The texture file has
glass.dds
main.dds
main_bump.dds
main_light.dds
main_spec.dds
sec.dds
sec_bump.dds
sec_spec.dds
thumbnail.jpg
VC01.dds
VC01L.dds
VC02.dds
VC02L.dds
VC03.dds
VC03L.dds
I then altered the "main.dds" file in the texture folder. From photoshop I saved it as "norm.bmp", then opened DXTBmp, opened the "norm.bmp", and saved it as DDS file in the texture folder overwriting the old "main.dds" file. Can any body tell me where i messed up? Here are the before and after shots
Before.jpg
Before.jpg (178.22 KiB) Viewed 2099 times

after.jpg
after.jpg (183.17 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
slimcooper2002
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Too much reflection

Postby Jetranger » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:45 am

Yesss, somehow you' or the program your using applied an APLHA Channel to the entire aircraft body

I've ran into this before with downloads ,,,,

all chrome or too much reflection on entire body,,, looks like utter crap

After many hours of experimenting - using the DXT program,,,, I learned how to use the ALPHA,,,,,, menu at the top

you'll need to go experiment yourself,,,, and tinker around with with it and get rid of the ALPHA Channel that somehow got applied,,, that shouldn't have, or you didn't check something.

Its late and I got to work tomorrow Monday.

or I'd dive into it further with you,,,,

go experiment with your DXT and the ALPHA menu at the top , and practice on the main aircraft texture folder

NOTE : make plenty of back up copies, you'll need them 1st !!!!!!!

get back to ya later see how you did.
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby slimcooper2002 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:41 pm

Thank you Jetranger, you hit the nail on the head. I went back and opened DXTBmp and checked the preferences and "show alpha channels" was checked. I unchecked and thats all it took.
No Alpha.jpg
No Alpha.jpg (273.02 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
slimcooper2002
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jetranger » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:42 pm

Well make yourself a Post it note, and hang on to it, so you'll remember how & what you did,,, because 3 to 6 months from you'll forget,, if your like me :D

I remember fixing 3 or 4 aircraft about a year ago, but unless I'm actually tinkering with it,,,, in front of me I can't remember the exact procedure :shock:

I even forgot to make myself a sticky note, Duhhhhhh, I'm getting old and forgetful :o
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Azframer » Wed May 10, 2017 12:18 am

The darker alpha channel will give you more reflection with your paint scheme. A black alpha channel will give you a chrome look and a lighter gray will have less chrome or reflection.

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Aircraft Repainting